Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 05:06:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Early Knights Hospitaller Campaign Ideas?  (Read 943 times)

Offline LouieN

• Mastermind
  • "Aure entuluva!"
Early Knights Hospitaller Campaign Ideas?
« on: June 22, 2022, 03:13:33 PM »
Hello All,

I am fortunate to own a collection of the Legio Heroica crusader era miniatures.  I am looking for some historical encounters to build my forces around. The Battle of Hattin 1187 is the go-to battle, but I am looking for smaller encounters.  I am researching the siege of Ascalan 1153 where the Hospitallers made a name for themselves.  Are there any other encounters or mini campaign to inspire.     

http://www.legio-heroica.com/img/CRU09.JPG

Thank you for any ideas
« Last Edit: June 22, 2022, 04:16:32 PM by LouieN »

Offline LouieN

• Mastermind
  • "Aure entuluva!"
Re: Early Knights Hospitaller Campaign Ideas?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2022, 04:25:36 PM »
Just for fun I found a great artwork from a Nat Geo article of the siege of Ascalon.

I have an ignorant question.  The fortress walls were made of stone.  Why would a siege tower burning down impact the integrity of the walls? 

Thanks

Offline George1863

• Assistant
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2022, 06:25:27 PM »
The tower in particular was of enormous size, becoming known as the 'accursed tower' afterwards. In burning down, fire spread to the walls and burned for 24 hours before a section of the walls collapsed (according to William of Tyre). The breach was small but enough to persuade the citizens to surrender, having already endured privation for several months. There may have been a weak-point in the structure of the walls anyway: having worked on restoring old buildings myself, getting the right mix of cement, lime and clay in excessive heat is difficult even today. Stone blocks may easily have been fixed together with mortar that cracked/powdered when fired. The walls of 1153 had been built on top of the ruins of previous walls and did not have integral foundations. Structural weakness at the base of the wall is probably only to be expected.

As to suggestions for campaigns, you have hit something of a jackpot, if I recall correctly. In the era of Baldwin III, you not only have conflict with the Saracens and Fatmid Egypt, but a civil war effectively against his mother, Melissende. The military orders were the only standing army in Christian service (apart from palace guards and the like). I am not up to date with the latest research in this area, but I suspect that even in times of 'peace', crusader-barons settled disputes with each other by the sword.

Online SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2022, 06:49:29 PM »
Louie, I can't comment on Ascalon but if you go back in time to 1119 you can find some campaign ideas set around the battle of Ager Sanguinis. If you Google Ager Sanguinis you will find a link to Cry Havoc which was the name of a board game back in the day. You will find several downloads including historical background and maps. Worth a look.

Offline LouieN

• Mastermind
  • "Aure entuluva!"
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2022, 09:19:08 PM »
A great reply George.  TY

I will search for that boardgame. 

Offline Inkpaduta

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2022, 09:29:05 PM »
There were a number of small raids and invasions into the Kingdom of Jerusalem.
You could just make a game around one of these unknown events. Could even turn it
into a small campaign. Some local lord with the help of the Hospitallers move to stop
the incursion.