Forum > General Wargames and Hobby Discussion

A list of lead content in figures by various companies

(1/3) > >>

Gribb:
Ever since I started selling figures to reduce the 'lead-pile' a couple of months ago I've gotten the question about whether or not they contain lead and the ratio. So I started sending enquiries on the matter to various companies. Small amounts of lead aids the flow in moulds, making the figures easier to work with. Reducing the amount of lead is increasing the cost of producing the miniatures. Lead free pewter is wearing out the moulds quicker adding to the overall costs. Fife and Drum do not include any lead. Their composition is primarily tin with some antimony. 1st Corps also reported using only lead free pewter.

The following is a list I have compiled of the companies and the amount of lead used in their figures.
Some have yet to respond so until they do I have put an "?".

- Calpe Miniatures: 10%
- Footsore Miniatures: 70%
- Empress Miniatures: 1%
- Old Glory Miniatures: 40%
- Eureka Miniatures: 60%
- Sash and Saber Castings: 40%
- 1st Corps: 0%
- Perry Miniatures: 5%
- Gripping Beast/Front Rank Figurines: 52-56%
- North Star Military Figures: ?
- Brigade Games: ?
- Eagle Figures: 85%
- Fife and Drum Miniatures: 0%
- Elite Miniatures: 60%
- Wargames Foundry: 1%
- Irregular Miniatures: 60%
- Avanpost Miniatures: 0%
- Knuckleduster Miniatures: 0%
- Galloping Major Wargames: 1%
- Eagles of Empire Miniatures: 1%
- Flags of War: 1%
- Reaper Miniatures: 0%
- Offensive Miniatures: 25%
- Crann Tara Miniatures:27%
- Athena Miniatures: 0%

GerryB21:
What also have to think about is what they add instead of lead to get the metal to flow.

Gribb:

--- Quote from: GerryB21 on June 24, 2022, 10:08:49 PM ---What also have to think about is what they add instead of lead to get the metal to flow.

--- End quote ---

Antimony. Fife and Drum's composition is primarily tin with some antimony.

Reaper use the following lead free pewter mix:
Tin 7440-31-5 Balance
Copper 7440-50-8 .20%-.30%
Antimony 7440-36-0 7.75%-8.25%

fred:
There are some real variations in lead content.

Also I suspect for some of the older manufacturers this will have changed over time - whilst Foundry might be 1% now, I doubt their 1980s figures were.

I’m also surprised if you are selling used figures, that you are getting asked about lead content. I’m also a bit interested in why the buyer cares. It’s hardly that they will be ingesting the figures.

FramFramson:

--- Quote from: fred on June 25, 2022, 07:14:19 AM ---There are some real variations in lead content.

Also I suspect for some of the older manufacturers this will have changed over time - whilst Foundry might be 1% now, I doubt their 1980s figures were.

I’m also surprised if you are selling used figures, that you are getting asked about lead content. I’m also a bit interested in why the buyer cares. It’s hardly that they will be ingesting the figures.

--- End quote ---
It's likely more a question of the potential for the dreaded Lead Rot.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version