Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:27:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689617
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A list of lead content in figures by various companies  (Read 2804 times)

Offline Gribb

• Librarian
A list of lead content in figures by various companies
« on: June 24, 2022, 10:04:25 PM »
Ever since I started selling figures to reduce the 'lead-pile' a couple of months ago I've gotten the question about whether or not they contain lead and the ratio. So I started sending enquiries on the matter to various companies. Small amounts of lead aids the flow in moulds, making the figures easier to work with. Reducing the amount of lead is increasing the cost of producing the miniatures. Lead free pewter is wearing out the moulds quicker adding to the overall costs. Fife and Drum do not include any lead. Their composition is primarily tin with some antimony. 1st Corps also reported using only lead free pewter.

The following is a list I have compiled of the companies and the amount of lead used in their figures.
Some have yet to respond so until they do I have put an "?".

- Calpe Miniatures: 10%
- Footsore Miniatures: 70%
- Empress Miniatures: 1%
- Old Glory Miniatures: 40%
- Eureka Miniatures: 60%
- Sash and Saber Castings: 40%
- 1st Corps: 0%
- Perry Miniatures: 5%
- Gripping Beast/Front Rank Figurines: 52-56%
- North Star Military Figures: ?
- Brigade Games: ?
- Eagle Figures: 85%
- Fife and Drum Miniatures: 0%
- Elite Miniatures: 60%
- Wargames Foundry: 1%
- Irregular Miniatures: 60%
- Avanpost Miniatures: 0%
- Knuckleduster Miniatures: 0%
- Galloping Major Wargames: 1%
- Eagles of Empire Miniatures: 1%
- Flags of War: 1%
- Reaper Miniatures: 0%
- Offensive Miniatures: 25%
- Crann Tara Miniatures:27%
- Athena Miniatures: 0%
« Last Edit: July 23, 2022, 09:43:37 AM by Gribb »

Offline GerryB21

• Bookworm
Re: A list of lead content in figures by various companies
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2022, 10:08:49 PM »
What also have to think about is what they add instead of lead to get the metal to flow.

Offline Gribb

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2022, 10:22:13 PM »
What also have to think about is what they add instead of lead to get the metal to flow.

Antimony. Fife and Drum's composition is primarily tin with some antimony.

Reaper use the following lead free pewter mix:
Tin 7440-31-5 Balance
Copper 7440-50-8 .20%-.30%
Antimony 7440-36-0 7.75%-8.25%

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2022, 07:14:19 AM »
There are some real variations in lead content.

Also I suspect for some of the older manufacturers this will have changed over time - whilst Foundry might be 1% now, I doubt their 1980s figures were.

I’m also surprised if you are selling used figures, that you are getting asked about lead content. I’m also a bit interested in why the buyer cares. It’s hardly that they will be ingesting the figures.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2022, 04:52:55 PM »
There are some real variations in lead content.

Also I suspect for some of the older manufacturers this will have changed over time - whilst Foundry might be 1% now, I doubt their 1980s figures were.

I’m also surprised if you are selling used figures, that you are getting asked about lead content. I’m also a bit interested in why the buyer cares. It’s hardly that they will be ingesting the figures.
It's likely more a question of the potential for the dreaded Lead Rot.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline WorkShy

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2022, 08:38:16 PM »
I'm very surprised by the Footsore number since a few months ago I rang up to ask them and Mark Farr stated it was like 7%. If it's 70% then I should have been taking precautions when filing them down.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2022, 09:27:17 PM »
Whilst I understand stand your motivation ,and intentions.  You need to go back to the start and re ask your questions. As your leaving your self open to all sorts of issues.
You need to go back and as these manufacturers WHEN they switched to these ratio's.  As many of these companies have been around long enough to have been using a higher lead content alloy. Simply because metal ingots containing lead were more readily available and of less of concern the further back you go.
I know from personal experience having worked with several of these companies that they did use higher lead levels prior to concerns over lead Content.
Unless you've purchased the miniatures since the manufacturer started using these lower levels. Your going to have to state they may contain lead.
As a very basic guide line you should always assume second hand miniatures do .
If your getting questions about lead content . It's very unlikely they'd know what's the difference between 7% or 12% in terms of detail retention and ease of conversion  All they'd know is 12 is bigger than 7.
Old figures contain lead  end of. It's not role to know how much lead only to make people aware that they do

Offline Gribb

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2022, 11:19:08 AM »
Whilst I understand stand your motivation ,and intentions.  You need to go back to the start and re ask your questions. As your leaving your self open to all sorts of issues.
You need to go back and as these manufacturers WHEN they switched to these ratio's.  As many of these companies have been around long enough to have been using a higher lead content alloy. Simply because metal ingots containing lead were more readily available and of less of concern the further back you go.
I know from personal experience having worked with several of these companies that they did use higher lead levels prior to concerns over lead Content.
Unless you've purchased the miniatures since the manufacturer started using these lower levels. Your going to have to state they may contain lead.
As a very basic guide line you should always assume second hand miniatures do .
If your getting questions about lead content . It's very unlikely they'd know what's the difference between 7% or 12% in terms of detail retention and ease of conversion  All they'd know is 12 is bigger than 7.
Old figures contain lead  end of. It's not role to know how much lead only to make people aware that they do

I started buying miniatures 10 years ago. Mostly Perrys, Empress and some Eureka. Based on regular sales, I reckon that the ones I have received are relatively newly produced. I think this list with percentages can be useful when considering new purchases.

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2022, 01:27:26 PM »
Tbh, I prefer a certain lead content in my models, as it makes them easier to clean up, fix/bend/convert en the general surface is mucht smoother than by some of the horrible leadfree alloys that were used after the "lead-ban" and some still do these days. if you take your precautions and clean your hands thouroughly after handling the models there's hardly any risk of lead poisoning or whatever. And besides, leadfree alloys are not healthy either, nor is resin, for that matter.
It's a hobby, it's not that we are drinking water from leaden plumbwork, driving on lead-containing gasoline or are working the roofs with lead anymore.
Leadhead

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2022, 08:52:43 PM »
It’s the asbestos and polonium content in miniatures that has me more worried.

Another fan of lead content in toy soldiers.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Ockius

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2022, 01:29:12 PM »
Thank you for this list.

I like to know about this as what the “just don’t eat them” commenters seem to forget is the little pieces that are produced when cleaning them up, and how these can stick to clothes or shoes or end up in the carpet. Not an issue for grown adults, but if you have a baby/toddler that is constantly putting things in their mouth then it is an issue. Imagine a slobbery toy dropped on the floor and ending up coated not just in fluff but potentially also in lead fragments.

I still buy lead, but I do all my cleanup in the garage and dust my clothes off before going into the house.
My armies:
- Henry VIII's army (WIP) 15mm
- Ancient Germans (28mm)
- Ancient Belgae (Gauls with German allies) (28mm)
- Massilian Greeks (Greeks and Gallic mercenaries/subjects) (28mm)
- A few EI Romans (28mm)
- Handful of WW2 British (15mm)
- A load of old 1993-1999ish Warhammer Orcs and Goblins

Offline duncant403

• Schoolboy
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2022, 06:29:12 PM »
It’s the asbestos and polonium content in miniatures that has me more worried.

I did once see a miniatures pack - about 30 years ago - that had a sticker on it declaring the miniatures were "uranium free".

Does the fact they felt the need to add a sticker imply that there were miniatures that contained uranium???

Offline WorkShy

• Librarian
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2022, 10:56:33 AM »
I did once see a miniatures pack - about 30 years ago - that had a sticker on it declaring the miniatures were "uranium free".

Does the fact they felt the need to add a sticker imply that there were miniatures that contained uranium???
Most of the 4 stable isotopes of lead come from decay of radionuclides of heavier elements. To be fair lead-206 which comes from the uranium decay chain is only about 1-2% of the total naturally occuring lead. Lead-208, from thorium decay, is around 50%. So most natural lead is found with residual radionuclides.

Offline Otto1485

• Bookworm
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2022, 02:28:46 PM »
I (Athena Miniatures) use lead free pewter for my figures. I am based in the UK (important - see below)

I am mindful of these regulations:

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2011/1881/contents

Regulation 4 is particularly relevant, as it defines “toy”, if you have lead content within your figures then they are not\cannot be “toys” which is perhaps why Wargames figures manufacturers still have a degree of lead content, in that they are intended for adults.

If you manufacture figures with lead content then these regulations certainly apply:

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2002/2676/contents/made

These regulations are extremely onerous and if you manufacture in the UK they apply to you. In event of an HSE visit you’d better have the relevant risk assessments and safe systems of work/controls in place, the onus is on you as the duty holder to prove your undertaking is safe.

All the best

John

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2022, 10:27:07 PM »
I'm not surprised to see the figure for Irregular Miniatures.
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.