Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:26:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686473
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Vallejo Colors for horses  (Read 1575 times)

Offline killshot

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Vallejo Colors for horses
« on: June 24, 2022, 11:53:45 PM »
I’ve done some internet searching but curious what Vallejo (or any manufacturer really) colors do people like to use for their horses?  I use the browns from GW but I’m looking to expand. 

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
Re: Vallejo Colors for horses
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2022, 01:16:49 PM »
I find Vallejo Game Color Dark Fleshtone is a useful one for reddish bays and chestnuts.

I combine it with just washes (Citadel Nuln Oil, and sometimes mixed with a bit of Vallejo Umber wash) and sometimes subtle highlights (just mixing in a slightly lighter brown).

This horse is just Dark Fleshtone with one or possibly two washes of Nuln Oil. The dark legs, ears and muzzle are achieved just by several more of the same wash.

These next two are both Dark Fleshtone + wash, and then Dark Fleshtone painted over the raised areas again (careful to do it in a thin layer), leaving just the dark washes in the recesses. The dark markings on the righthand horse are applied afterwards. The lefthand chestunut horse, being all the same colour, I gave a few more stages to - another subtle highlight (Dark Fleshtone mixed with a slightly lighter brown), and then an overall wash/glaze of Nuln Oil mixed with Umber - just so he didn't end up looking too monotone. But basically the colour you seeing there is Dark Fleshtone.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2022, 01:18:36 PM by Charlie_ »

Offline aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2022, 07:01:00 PM »
Take a look at the book:

‘Painting Wargames Figures’ by El Mercenario

He has shed loads of paint recipes all using Vallejo paints

Offline 2010sunburst

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2022, 08:05:02 PM »
 The painting war series of books are also very good for horse recipes (god, sounds like a French cookery book), and again, mostly use Vallejo paint. 

Offline killshot

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2022, 09:39:18 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion and pictures Charlie! Those horses long fantastic and I’ll definitely go with that color.

Take a look at the book:

‘Painting Wargames Figures’ by El Mercenario

He has shed loads of paint recipes all using Vallejo paints

Thank you, I’ll see if I can find it.

The painting war series of books are also very good for horse recipes (god, sounds like a French cookery book), and again, mostly use Vallejo paint. 

Awesome, thanks!

Offline aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2022, 11:29:41 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion and pictures Charlie! Those horses long fantastic and I’ll definitely go with that color.

Thank you, I’ll see if I can find it.

Awesome, thanks!

It’s available on Amazon as a kindle for £3.99

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2022, 03:02:44 AM »
I bought the Coat D'arms Horse Colours set quite a few years ago. The 'Roan' colour is good but should probably be called 'Grulla'. Their 'Bay' I find a bit bright but acceptable. Chestnut I found a smidge dark but still a good colour. Their Grey and Brown are... well grey and brown. Their most accurate IMO is their 'Dun' but it does require 2 or 3 coats to get a solid colour. Army Painter's Fur Brown spray is a great base coat for chestnut, brown and bay horses; it even appears to have more tooth than AP's other coloured primers.

Offline Kikuchiyo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2022, 06:34:34 AM »
I find Vallejo Game Color Dark Fleshtone is a useful one for reddish bays and chestnuts.

I combine it with just washes (Citadel Nuln Oil, and sometimes mixed with a bit of Vallejo Umber wash) and sometimes subtle highlights (just mixing in a slightly lighter brown).

This horse is just Dark Fleshtone with one or possibly two washes of Nuln Oil. The dark legs, ears and muzzle are achieved just by several more of the same wash.

These next two are both Dark Fleshtone + wash, and then Dark Fleshtone painted over the raised areas again (careful to do it in a thin layer), leaving just the dark washes in the recesses. The dark markings on the righthand horse are applied afterwards. The lefthand chestunut horse, being all the same colour, I gave a few more stages to - another subtle highlight (Dark Fleshtone mixed with a slightly lighter brown), and then an overall wash/glaze of Nuln Oil mixed with Umber - just so he didn't end up looking too monotone. But basically the colour you seeing there is Dark Fleshtone.

Great looking horses, might have to try that base colour

Online Mindenbrush

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2022, 12:17:51 PM »
Look up Loki’s Great Hall, he has 12 tutorials on different horse colours using VMC
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ill_oZAMbG8

I use them a lot plus Liquitex Soft Body Burnt Umber/Burnt Sienna/Raw Umber on horses.
Wargamers do it on a table.
YNWA - It is not a badge, it is a family crest
Montreal Historical Wargaming Club

Offline killshot

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2022, 05:06:03 PM »
Look up Loki’s Great Hall, he has 12 tutorials on different horse colours using VMC

I use them a lot plus Liquitex Soft Body Burnt Umber/Burnt Sienna/Raw Umber on horses.

Awesome, thanks!