Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 09:05:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1685070
  • Total Topics: 118008
  • Online Today: 935
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Slow moving Dropzone Commander project - Vanvlak's world turns upside down  (Read 1149 times)

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
A couple of years back, my wife bought me a passel of models - this was back when Warhawk Games owned the proprietary rights.
I filled in a few gaps in the collection this week, and more importantly got the rules. I also bought the printed city - 24 1' x 1' tiles, and a collection of card buildings. This is where my world turns upside down: this is something I usually avoid. These are rather nicely done, would be very expensive to replace with plastic or resin buildings, and were heavily discounted when bought with the introductory set which I got for the rules and a craving for more UMC models.

Although the tiles are double sided, I am mounting them on boards of the same size, so I have to choose one size - I much prefer having a more rigid and robust tile. For the buildings, I will retouch any exposed card edges, forego retaining foldability, which is convenient, but which would result in a somewhat bloated appearance, and perhaps add some resin roof fittings too.

Lets see how far I get. So far I assembled some twenty models, undercoated a dozen or so, and finished two tiny Scourge beasties. And I started to fit the tiles to rigid bases (just four done so far).

Lets see how far this goes.
Here's the tile set - I tried to avoid flat representations of 3D stuff as best as I could, to maximise realism.

Offline Kelly_

• Bookworm
  • ...the underscore is silent
It looks like your tile set is a good mix and should be relatively easy to switch around for different street layouts, so I don't think you would have lost much from mounting them.  Looking forward to seeing the next steps!
If my wife asks, I only spent half as much as I wanted to...

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Great stuff; welcome into the fold  8)

There are not many players apparently, but the system is solid, the models gorgeous and the fluff is cool and steadily progressing.

I myself have a good sized painted Scourge force, and a (so far) unpainted resistance one too. Plus a large, painted Scourge fleet for Dropfleet Commander.

Can't wait to see what you will be doing with your terrain board and buildings, as well as your models.

I have gone to several model train conventions myself, and bought quite a few assembled N-scale buildings for cheap. Over here, most buildings tend to be of the German/Austrian/Swiss quaint village variety, but I managed to find some modern industrial and city/highrise buildings that do very nicely in a futuristic city.

Still not as cheap as the card ones (which I also have), but this route won't break the bank either... :)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
Thanks guys.
Of course with the heat wave on the boards promptly warped, so I am now fixing that, or trying to at least.
I am tempted by Japanese style N gauge buildings, and have a handful, but for once am trying to keep this project relatively cheap!
Any pics of your painted Scourge, Daeothar? And thanks for the welcome! I agree the models are rather nice; and I understood that the name actually is quite descriptive too, which is cool.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
I have a couple of the Japanese ones and they're nigh on perfect, but yes; they're not the cheapest option out there.

Here's my latest addition to my own Dropzone Commander  collection, only about a month ago: some new Scourge units :)

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
I have a couple of the Japanese ones and they're nigh on perfect, but yes; they're not the cheapest option out there.

Here's my latest addition to my own Dropzone Commander  collection, only about a month ago: some new Scourge units :)
Thanks - I missed that completely! I've not been keeping up with threads recently, so I guess that slipped by. Unfortunately the images do not appear on Chrome - the 28mm Scourge guy from TTCombat is visible (and yes, would be nice to have a small force of these chaps, and perhaps some PHR ones, if they ever see light), but not your own images.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
A recurring problem because of the security certificate of my webspace provider not being up to date. They'll show up using Firefox or a mobile browser though.

One of these days I really should fix this issue; it's getting pretty annoying...  ::)

Offline Slyphic

• Lurker
    • Yet Another Dropzone Commander Blog
Lets see how far I get. So far I assembled some twenty models, undercoated a dozen or so, and finished two tiny Scourge beasties. And I started to fit the tiles to rigid bases (just four done so far).

I replaced my tiles with a roll up mat, and chopped up the tiles into 2" tall 1' x 1' blocks for some elevation to the cities, with cut in ramps. 
And then after a week or two in the garage, the glue started to fail and I haven't had the heart to make a second pass at fixing them.

Game on fellow Scourge commander.  I've got to finish the detail work on the crab walkers to expand my force one of these days.  But the bulk of it is painted and seen a surprising amount of gameplay over the last year or so.  https://yadzcb.friestman.net/intel-report-scourge-newbraska.html