Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:55:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686663
  • Total Topics: 118120
  • Online Today: 815
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Masters of the Universe: Battlegrounds (April 10: Grayskull Dice Tower)  (Read 14127 times)

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
Re: Masters of the Universe: Battlegrounds (July 3: Trap Jaw)
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2022, 06:32:36 AM »
Keen to also see what you do with the MOTU Battleground terrain pieces and of course the main protagonists.

What are your thoughts on the game itself and rule mechanics?

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2022, 07:12:31 AM »
Wow. He came out nicely!  :o
If you think about the later designs (Looking atyou Rock People!), Trap Jaw is actually quite serious. He would not feel out of place in the 41st Millennium or a certain Steampunk Fantasy Wargame… just saying.

Yeah, the IP has some totally silly designs, but I'm all up for it! Can't wait for stuff like Stinkor, Mekaneck and such. Did you see the MOTU episode of 'The Toys that Made Us' on Netflix? Pure gold...I laughed so hard.

Keen to also see what you do with the MOTU Battleground terrain pieces and of course the main protagonists.

What are your thoughts on the game itself and rule mechanics?

For the terrain probably zenithal priming, some thinned contrast layers, some weird washes, drybrushes and then picking out the details.
I haven't played the game yet, but from what I read in the book and online it sounds great! Similar to Underworlds but I think it's better and a bit less random. But I hope to play soon!
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
Re: Masters of the Universe: Battlegrounds (July 7: Triclops)
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2022, 09:44:52 PM »
Next up: Triclops! Also a ridiculous design, but it was a lot of fun to paint him. And now 6 done, so getting closer to finishing the core box.

Already started with Ram Man.

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2022, 10:06:36 PM »
Awesome - really like the way his sword and eyes came out. What is the green thing on the base? Looks like a small creature?

Could you also do a group shot at some point?

Also, what orange are you using? I have been struggling to find that sort of shade of vibrant He-Man toy orange? Orange, is for some reason, it seems, one colour I hardly ever use...

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2022, 04:33:34 AM »
Silly, but also awesome!  :o

Your painting is excellent again. You certainly have the power! What did you use on the skin? Is that also contrast paint?

Btw - haven’t watched said episode, but now it’s on my list.

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2022, 05:19:04 AM »
Looking good :)

I have this myself, trying to decide when to get to it. So many projects...

You are doing it justice! And that Toys that Made us was a great one. I actually like the whole series, really neat stuff to discover.
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2022, 06:06:53 AM »
Awesome - really like the way his sword and eyes came out. What is the green thing on the base? Looks like a small creature?

Could you also do a group shot at some point?

Also, what orange are you using? I have been struggling to find that sort of shade of vibrant He-Man toy orange? Orange, is for some reason, it seems, one colour I hardly ever use...

Thanks! The stuff on his base are some kind of weird crashed drone, almost like a mini zeppelin. And there's a small radar dish and a computer or something.
Group shot will be done of course! Probably once I finish all ten.
For the orange I start with Gryph-Hound Orange Contrast over a white primer. I highlight this with AK Deep Orange and then AK Deep Orange + AK Deep Yellow. But...I'd rather have a lighter and brighter orange colour from the bottle than this mix. This works, but having a lighter and brighter one would be way more convenient. But it would have helped if I did the same recipe I used on Man-At-Arms, by mixing in Fluorescent Orange to the highlights. Then you really get a great vibrant and popping orange.

Silly, but also awesome!  :o

Your painting is excellent again. You certainly have the power! What did you use on the skin? Is that also contrast paint?

Btw - haven’t watched said episode, but now it’s on my list.

Cheers! For the skin I started with Darkoath Flesh Contrast...but I didn't like it. I wanted a deeper and richer skin colour. So I covered it all with P3 Bloodstone, a nice warm orangey brown. For highlights I used a mix of AK Medium Flesh + AK Tan Earth and then I used AK Basic Flesh for a highlight and finally I mixed in some AK White to the AK Basic Flesh for the final bright touches.

Looking good :)

I have this myself, trying to decide when to get to it. So many projects...

You are doing it justice! And that Toys that Made us was a great one. I actually like the whole series, really neat stuff to discover.

Thank you! Yeah, we're all never bored by a lack of projects eh ;). But this sure is a nice one. Excellent plastic models and the colour schemes are just a ton of fun to do!

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
Re: Masters of the Universe: Battlegrounds (July 8: Ram Man)
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2022, 09:13:42 PM »
And another day...another model! Probably the only positive thing about getting caught with corona...

Ram Man

Another great silly design and before painting I really dreaded all that model. But in the end he was a blast to do, I loved doing everything. Maybe the best one so far for me.
Next up Evil-Lyn!

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2022, 08:55:02 AM »
Yeah, the IP has some totally silly designs, but I'm all up for it! Can't wait for stuff like Stinkor, Mekaneck and such. Did you see the MOTU episode of 'The Toys that Made Us' on Netflix? Pure gold...I laughed so hard.

I watched it yesterday. And it’s really a fun eide. My constant laughing even brought my wife to the TV and she joined me. The episode definitely is a blast. Especially when you imagine all these guys in the 80s trying to seriously get people interested in the silly awesomeness of motu. My favorite was the evil grumpy artist. I’m sure a lot of things in MotU are just there because everyone was afraid to ask him for changes in his work!

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
Re: Masters of the Universe: Battlegrounds (July 8: Evil-Lyn)
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2022, 09:38:20 PM »
Yeah, it was so cool to see these guys thinking up the crasiest stuff and making millions...until She-Ra was released...lol

And the next one is done too: Evil-Lyn! A rather fast and a bit rushed, but good enough I think. And of course with the typical yellow skin she has in the cartoons.

So only He-Man and Skeletor left! Oh, and a ton of scenery...but first the to main heroes to tackle.

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2022, 11:11:13 PM »
I was never keen on Ram Man but the mini they have done does make him look much better than the original toy - he has a Roman Centurion sort of feel.

Whereas Evil-Lyn was always one of my favourites yet the mini just does not look as good as I hoped.

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2022, 07:13:33 AM »
Evil-Lyn is pretty cool! What did you use for the skin? Contrast paint? Looks a bit like Nazdreg yellow.

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2022, 07:59:46 AM »
I was never keen on Ram Man but the mini they have done does make him look much better than the original toy - he has a Roman Centurion sort of feel.

Whereas Evil-Lyn was always one of my favourites yet the mini just does not look as good as I hoped.

Yeah I understand, the pose is a bit weird. But also from the 8 I did I think this is the poorest paintjob. That doesn't help her either ;)
And yeah, Ram Man looks menacing now...instead of the dumb doofus he often was in the cartoons lol

Evil-Lyn is pretty cool! What did you use for the skin? Contrast paint? Looks a bit like Nazdreg yellow.

Thanks! It's Iyanden Yellow. I thought the Nazdreg Yellow would be too dark for her. I higlighted the skin with Scale75 Sahara Yellow and then some more highlights by mixing in AK Ice Yellow and Ak White. I think I highlighted her too much...something I often do with female skin. It's one of the things why I like painting males a lot more, they have better defined muscles and you can do more intense shading and highlights than on females.

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2022, 08:43:14 AM »
Thanks!
I’m currently painting through the set myself. Very enjoyable in more than one respect.

Concerning the sculpts: well some are not the best, but the scale is consistent - what can not be said about the aftermarket sellers - the quality of the casting is on eye level with GW, and I’m pretty sure we’ll see alternatives once the game has become a success.

Any plans on what to use for Castle Grayskull? I’ve been surfing the net yesterday. The old toy set is available relatively cheap if you don’t insist on a mint condition, there’s also the Origin set currently available for €60 at a German drugstore chain and the crown jewel the pricy and rare Icon set. CMON apparently are producing another set for their version of Motu, but as with the rest of the sculpts, I’m not happy with it.

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2022, 09:04:31 AM »
The whole IP thing is such a mess...it's a shame CMON can do the USA and Archon Studio can do Europe. And both releasing different games and ideas. So odd. But it is what it is. At least I am glad that Archon doesn't use PVC! I can work with the material, but HIPS is soooooo much nicer to work with.
For the castle, a fellow gamer created a 3D model and he also printed and painted it. Here's the model:
https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/game/masters-of-the-universe-castle-greyskull

I've seen his painted model in the MOTU: B group on facebook and it looks very cool!

He also created a token holder:
https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/game/masters-of-the-universe-battleground-token-holder-and-mini-tray