Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:42:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686596
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Looking for 15mm figures suitable for Game of Thrones  (Read 1019 times)

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
Looking for 15mm figures suitable for Game of Thrones
« on: June 28, 2022, 06:19:50 PM »
Our group has been playing a fair bit of GoT the Boardgame and I am considering swapping out the rather boring plastic pieces for 15mm figures.
Has anyone already done this?
I would be looking for figures that could be passable for the various Houses in the style of the TV series on a small scale, also tiny siege towers would be needed.

Any suggestions?

« Last Edit: June 28, 2022, 07:18:51 PM by Mason »

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
Re: Looking for 15mm figures suitable of Game of Thrones
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2022, 07:01:46 PM »
I'm not too familiar with GoT characters and houses, but you could take a look at DemonWorld figures sold by Ral Partha.  They have plenty of human-types.

I've painted a few https://www.orctrader.co.uk/DW.html and Steve Dean's examples are brilliant.

They are more 18 than 15mm but the level of detail is exceptional.

Offline WitchQueenofAngmar

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2022, 07:11:24 PM »
Khurasan Miniatures is a good place to start.

For Greyjoy, you can use their 15th century English billmen not wearing livery. House Lannister would be best suited with the 15th cent. French Gendarmes dismounted with polearms, or the voulgiers from the same line.

The Starks are hard to place, but 14th century men-at-arms with houpeland & aketon could work out. Baratheon forces would be suited by 13th century dismounted men-at-arms in Kettle Helms.

That should cover the core set.

For "tiny" siege towers, I'd say try them in 6mm, Irregular Miniatures has some.

https://www.irregularminiatures.co.uk/6mmRanges/6mmScenics.htm

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2022, 07:25:30 PM »
I'm not too familiar with GoT characters and houses, but you could take a look at DemonWorld figures sold by Ral Partha.  They have plenty of human-types.

I've painted a few https://www.orctrader.co.uk/DW.html and Steve Dean's examples are brilliant.

They are more 18 than 15mm but the level of detail is exceptional.

Well, Sir, you are certainly doing a great job of selling that range to me.
Exquisite brush work (as usual).
 :-* :-*

Khurasan Miniatures is a good place to start.

For Greyjoy, you can use their 15th century English billmen not wearing livery. House Lannister would be best suited with the 15th cent. French Gendarmes dismounted with polearms, or the voulgiers from the same line.

The Starks are hard to place, but 14th century men-at-arms with houpeland & aketon could work out. Baratheon forces would be suited by 13th century dismounted men-at-arms in Kettle Helms.

That should cover the core set.

For "tiny" siege towers, I'd say try them in 6mm, Irregular Miniatures has some.

https://www.irregularminiatures.co.uk/6mmRanges/6mmScenics.htm

That has certainly given plenty of food for thought!
Thank you very much, I shall do my research.
(And 6mm for the siege towers sounds about right).
 :)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: Looking for 15mm figures suitable for Game of Thrones
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2022, 09:28:02 PM »
Nice idea Pablo. I’ve thought about it myself. I can see how you would do the knightly armies, and the regular armies of footmen with figures. But what would you do about the fleets and siege armies? Fleets are almost as important in this game as land armies.
I’ve played the GoT boardgame a lot. The second edition with the Martells and the various expansions is much more difficult to win, and one or two of the newer character cards are absolute ruiners. Nothing you can do against them, which rather unbalances the game imho. But it’s an enjoyable game nonetheless.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2022, 01:12:42 PM »
Nice idea Pablo. I’ve thought about it myself. I can see how you would do the knightly armies, and the regular armies of footmen with figures. But what would you do about the fleets and siege armies? Fleets are almost as important in this game as land armies.

The siege towers should be fairly simple to knock up and get a friendly giant to cast and ships of the right size should be easy enough to source. It was the troops that I need help with as my knowledge of the 15mm market is not great.
This is to be used as a pressie for a friend who has been providing the game, and it is certainly one of his favourites so should go down well.
 ;)

I’ve played the GoT boardgame a lot. The second edition with the Martells and the various expansions is much more difficult to win, and one or two of the newer character cards are absolute ruiners. Nothing you can do against them, which rather unbalances the game imho. But it’s an enjoyable game nonetheless.

Thanks for the heads up on the expansions. We have been playing four-player, which works well enough, and it is good to know that adding more could be a bad move.
 :)

Offline Ockius

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2022, 03:29:55 PM »
I am a really big fan of the Donnington New Era range sold by Ancient and Modern Army Supplies. Great value, you can choose individual figures, good pics with descriptions of the gear the models have, and multiple variants of most of the models with different helmets or weapons. They paint up really nicely too - no headaches with miscasts or unidentifiable blobs.

The Wars of the Roses and Hundred Years War ranges would have lots to offer, as well as their Swiss, Burgundian and Low Countries ranges.
My armies:
- Henry VIII's army (WIP) 15mm
- Ancient Germans (28mm)
- Ancient Belgae (Gauls with German allies) (28mm)
- Massilian Greeks (Greeks and Gallic mercenaries/subjects) (28mm)
- A few EI Romans (28mm)
- Handful of WW2 British (15mm)
- A load of old 1993-1999ish Warhammer Orcs and Goblins