Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 05:58:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1685057
  • Total Topics: 118008
  • Online Today: 935
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Where to ask for help with deceased estate?  (Read 1867 times)

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
Where to ask for help with deceased estate?
« on: June 29, 2022, 05:23:15 PM »
Hi all, I have a colleague from work whose husband recently passed away, leaving a collection of (I believe) largely GW figures, and some of which she believes have a reasonable value. Looking for advice on how best to help her dispose of these in the UK? I know nothing about GW myself.
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---

Offline modelwarrior

• Scientist
    • themodelwarrior
Re: Where to ask for help with deceased estate?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2022, 05:42:18 PM »
Well a start would be to photograph the entire collection and post it up on here so somebody in the know could value it. After that post the collection up for sale either on here,ebay or dakkadakka.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2022, 05:43:30 PM »
There's a bunch of valuations sites available - since I've never tried them personally, I couldn't tell you who they are - on Facebook and such, and old GW models tend to have pretty well established 'values' (obviously a subjective term, but you know what I mean, the amount they go for is fairly stable). This is just the first one that popped on a quick Google -  https://www.facebook.com/groups/1967772713470265/

Looking on eBay is also a good shout, if you search for what items have SOLD for (as opposed to what they're currently being listed for) and again, this is surprisingly stable for the most part, for items of comparable condition.

'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2022, 05:52:23 PM »
I doubt there's many that could identify old mins better than Richard Hale from the 'Stuff of Legends' website. He is also an avid collector himself, so he may even be in the market for some things too.

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2022, 06:02:19 PM »
People like the Troll Trader will sometimes buy entire collections too.

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2022, 06:03:30 PM »
Thankyou chaps. I don't do 'Facebook' - but the other suggestions are very helpful. I will get in touch with her, and keep you posted. 

Offline Citizen Sade

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2022, 07:47:40 PM »
There is an effort versus reward consideration here. Chances are that the most money could be made by selling in suitable lots on eBay, but it could be a lot of work. In contrast, selling a collection to a commercial figure trader should be less hassle though they’d be sure to drive a hard bargain as they’ll want to turn a decent profit themselves.

A couple of other thoughts. One, did you colleague’s husband have a circle of gaming friends who might be interested in buying figures or willing to help move the collection on? Two, some auction houses will accept gaming collections and might be worth considering. I’ve seen some good prices achieved at auction though the seller’s fees will take a chunk. Auctioneers sometimes have strange ideas on appropriate lots though.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2022, 10:18:34 AM »
there's also The Last Nazgul guy on ebay - who's very straight-foward to deal with (in terms of collection and payment).

Obviously re-seller prices. So potentially a lot of dosh will go - but also a lot of hassle be avoided.
Then again, I'm not sure if he really recognises 'collectable' values.