Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 04:20:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: My Space 1861 Thread  (Read 4441 times)

Offline Redshank

• Librarian
My Space 1861 Thread
« on: June 29, 2022, 06:21:50 PM »
Came across these models on Etsy and thought they might do as alternative High Martians, because of the birdlike features I suppose:

Neither my painting nor my photography is doing them justice, but I really like these models.

Separately, a question for anyone with a knowledge of Soldier's Companion, the Space 1889 wargame rules: did they ever put out any guidelines for building reasonably balanced opposing forces? Can't find it in the book or via websearch. The best I can do for now is that judging by the scenarios in the book, roughly 2 units of irregular to 1 regular seems appropriate. But it would be reassuring to have a more robust guide before I try and tempt some clubmates away from MWWBK. Being new to the rules, I don't have a good intuitive feel yet.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2022, 08:22:45 PM by Redshank »

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
Re: Alternative High Martians (+ Soldier's Companion question)
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2022, 08:22:27 PM »
Whoa, those look freaky in a very good way.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Tsu

• Assistant
  • Cultist of the Ape
    • Strange Aeons G+ Community
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2022, 08:53:23 PM »
I like the miniatures. Perhaps one tipp, if you aim to play Space 1889 VSF: I have read the rules in the Soldier´s Companion, but came to the conclusion, that Fistfull of Lead: Bigger Battles gives me a better, more "modern" approach to VSF. Perhaps this is an option for you.

Looking forward to read more about your project, keep us up to date!

Greetings from Mars.

Offline 3Fingers2

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2022, 06:42:26 PM »
Those look great !

Offline MaleGriffin

• Mastermind
  • Don't bother running.... You'll just die tired....
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2022, 07:35:48 PM »
They look fine! It's your game/story, so do what you want. I use a bunch of miniatures from the original RAFM figures as well as other genres. I've got GW Lizardmen and Kroot for Venusians, Grenadier (now Mirliton) Elves (they work with the RAFM Martians) British, Russian, French, Italian, Prussian, Japanese, Austro-Hungarian, Americans, Belgian and Ottoman troops. Go with Plastics. Perry Prussians, Brits even ACW Zouaves!
Any way, use what you want! I do!
Hoc quoque transibit
Sanguinem sistit semper

Offline Redshank

• Librarian
Re: Alternative High Martians
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2022, 08:52:29 PM »
Scrounged some rocks beachcombing tonight and decided to use them to create a little scene of my High Martians ambushing a British patrol in a canyon...

(The British are Perry Intervention Force minis, to fit with my preferred 1860s period. I must say the matte varnish is coming out very shiny on the Brits for some reason...)

Here's another one:

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
Re: Alternative High Martians
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2022, 02:06:10 PM »
Most kewl!

However, I'll stick with aquarium resin for my rocks. A bit fragile, but less weight for transport.

Doug

Offline Redshank

• Librarian
Re: My Space 1861 Thread
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2022, 08:33:53 PM »
I've changed the title of this thread as it is expanding beyond what was originally a quick post about some 3D printed minis I found.

Space 1861 not Space 1889 because I want my Earthmen armed mainly with rifled muzzle-loading muskets, not breechloaders. (Will make an exception for the Prussians.) Might seem like a finnicky change but I want to give my Martians (and maybe Venusian Lizard-men, one day) more of a chance without going "the full Zulu", with a handful of modern-armed troops scything down hordes of tribal infantry.

Continuing my explorations in what Etsy 3D printed minis have got to offer, here are my alternative Canal Martian Heavy Infantry (with clod-choppers):

They were originally "Mongol-themed Dark Elf infantry" but I thought they fitted the part quite well, given the pointed ears. Wrong number of fingers still but never mind, it's not as if my painting is that precise anyway!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2022, 08:36:49 PM by Redshank »

Offline VonAkers

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2022, 11:23:50 PM »
Redshank
Mate I really like those Swordsmen ..!!! very nice indeed , well done.
Cheers

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Wargame News and Terrain
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2022, 11:22:40 AM »
They look very good 👍
Wargame News and Terrain Blog, daily updated with the latest wargame news

Interested click https://wargameterrain.blogspot.com/

Offline Redshank

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2022, 01:15:18 PM »
Sometimes all you can do is RELEASE THE THARKS.

I thoroughly enjoyed painting these Bronze Age Minis. With hindsight I am slightly disappointed with the colour scheme I selected for the chieftain's robe and could have made it a bit more colourful.

And finally for now, a tough day at the office for the Mexican 8th Cavalry... not the same scale in all senses!

« Last Edit: August 15, 2022, 01:31:44 PM by Redshank »

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2022, 05:24:14 PM »
With only percussion muzzleloaders instead of the magazine rifles (plus gatling guns and even maxims) of Space 1889, this is a harder fight for the colonial powers.

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2022, 05:42:36 PM »
I saw in your other thread that you were considering arming any Prussians with the Dreyse needle gun, instead of the percussion muzzleloaders of the other great powers.  That will yield up an interesting wrinkle.  The Dreyse fired 10 to 12 rounds per minute, compared with contemporary muzzleloaders (like the Austrian Lorenz, or the Enfield) 3 to 4.  But the maximum effective range of the Dreyse was only 600 meters (650 yards) at best (true effective range closer to 400 meters),  compared to muzzleloaders 1,000 meters (Enfield supposedly 1,140 meters) (true effective range for individual shots, vice volley fire, more like 600 meters.  British soldiers were trained to hit a target 6 feet (180 cm) by 2 feet (61 cm) – with a 2 feet (61 cm) diameter bull's eye, counting 2 points – out to 600 yards (550 m)).  So the Dreyse is firing faster, but the muzzleloader is firing effective shots out a greater distance.  How fast are the Venusians charging, and from how far away ?!

Offline Redshank

• Librarian
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2022, 03:21:38 PM »
I saw in your other thread that you were considering arming any Prussians with the Dreyse needle gun

How fast are the Venusians charging, and from how far away ?!

It is a concession to historical fact (so important for a VSF game on Mars featuring Tharks!) as the Prussians adopted the needlegun in 1841. Although production problems inhibited takeup well into the 1850s. In any case, I don't have plans to bring in the Prussians in the short term - the Tharks' first opposition will probably be an Anglo-French column.

Indeed, the whole idea of bringing it back to 1850s/60s is to move away from a Zulu-style setup where a handful of Europeans with breechloaders are mowing down hordes of natives.

I am still painting and have yet to playtest. Neither of my current rules options (MWWBK or Soldier's Companion) has stats for Tharks, so I will need to have a few play-throughs and see what gives a fun game. Soldier's Companion allows muzzle-loaders to fire a volley at twice effectiveness but only every other turn, and native charge distances are randomised, so the Euro player is probably going to have a nice call to make if and when to call "volley fire"!

The differences in performance that you describe between the needlegun and percussion-cap rifled muskets sound like potentially another fun complication for the colonialist player to have to weigh up, but I'll try and get my basic setup done first!

Offline Redshank

• Librarian
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2022, 07:56:36 AM »
Having a spare hour the other evening, I had an initial run-through with Soldier's Companion, with my 8 Tharks charging from about four feet away against a detachment of 8 British riflemen. I am learning SC so I might have made some rules mistakes.

I treated the Tharks as Light Cavalry.

Despite what people say about one side monopolising initiative turn after turn in SC, I found it swung back and forth quite nicely, even with the +1 to the 2D initiative throw for the Brits being Regulars. (In SC, only the side with initiative can move. The other side basically only gets defensive fire.)

The Tharks' charge distance as irregular "cavalry" was 8D". Long range for rifled muskets is 20", short range 10". A charge target can decide when to deliver defensive fire (assuming their pass their fear-of-charge morale check), so of course you wait to short range. "Wait til you see the reds of their eyes, lads!"

With a few try-outs, I had several cases of the Brits stopping the Tharks in their tracks before I hit on the right tactic for the Tharks of charging in mass, rather than open order. Once the Tharks closed to contact it was absolutely brutal. The Tharks won all their melees, killing one Brit; the detachment broke, and the Tharks then wiped them out.

Which overall feels like a good setup to me - it can go either way depending on use of the right tactics and the luck of the dice.

Although I now realise I didn't try putting the Brits in square...