Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 03:21:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689822
  • Total Topics: 118300
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Rules for the German Peasants War?  (Read 1726 times)

Online v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
Rules for the German Peasants War?
« on: February 06, 2023, 03:50:16 PM »
Hello folks,
Wondering if anyone could suggest some possible rules for the German Peasants war? (Blame Steel-Fist)

I'm looking for a unit based skirmish game; broadly 30-100 figures in 3-10 units ("WHFB army", Donnybrook or "Rampant/Lament" army sized). You know the sort of thing.

There are a few articles online commenting that neither Pikeman's Lament or Lion Rampant V1.0 really work for 'Landsknecht' period stuff; and propose various hybrids
 - Pikeman Rampant from the TAG site; but I have heard that the differences in activation between the two rules means mixing them doesn't work as well as it could.
-Renaissance Rampant (from WI368) I haven't read, but looks promising adding renaissance units to LR. Is it good?

I see Lion Rampant V2 now offers rules for pikes and handguns; would this be enough do people think?
I am sure I could fudge something from Donnybrook, but it's definitely aimed at the other other end of Pike & Shotte so not sure if something else would be more sensible.
I have heard the new version of Never Mind The Billhooks has Landsknechts in, looks to be at the very upper limit of the size forces I want to use?

Any thoughts or options I haven't considered?
Xander
Army painters thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=56540.msg671536#new
WinterApoc thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=50815.0

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
Re: Rules for the German Peasants War?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2023, 05:00:10 PM »
Lazy Dragon, As you say what about "Never Mind the Billhooks Deluxe"? This now has additional factions not just Wars of the Roses . Although it doesn't cover the Peasants' War pre se it probably covers all the troop types you need.

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2023, 05:05:24 PM »
there might be a Sharp Practice variant from the Lardy's too.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2023, 07:10:32 PM »
I haven't hard of one. For me Sharp Practice is pretty much firmly set in the musket/bayonet Black Powder period of the mid 18th-mid 19th century. I would think going back a further 200 years might be a step too far.

Offline Olivero

• Schoolboy
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2023, 06:15:23 PM »
Tricky.... I don't know of any rules that focus on the Peasants War.
I know of three skirmish rule sets that at least cover the period of time (more or less).
By the Sword (you can get them from BRIGADE GAMES)
Brink of Battle (the ebook is only 5 bucks or so, and people wrote good reviews when it came out)
Knyghte Pyke and Sworde with the Ambuscades & Affairs of Outposts expansion (available on wargamevault)
I know nothing else of these rule setsa as I am not into skirmish gaming myself.

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2023, 08:17:49 PM »
Oh that’s a really difficult question!

The various Rampant games have Pike rules in Pikeman’s Lament, but they are really not meant to represent a pike block but rather a small group of soldiers armed with pikes. Hail Caesar has rules for Landsknechts in it, but I think it’s pretty lame (i.e. period specific flavor is totally missing).

My best guess would be to go for Warhammer (Historical). Isn’t the Fantasy version very much modelled after 16th century Europe? Just strip down all the fantasy elements (or build the units from scratch and use WH Historical)!

PS
WHH definitely had good rules for pikes, heavy cavalry erc. Can’t remember though if they are scattered over many books.

Offline Hannibal

• Assistant
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2023, 02:52:23 PM »
The second version of "Never mind the billhooks" also covers the Italian wars. So it might be the right period for the german peasant wars. But I don't know, if there are any stats to field peasants. Maybe there is some diy-work to do.  ;) 

Offline Rochejaquelein

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2023, 11:44:12 PM »
I'd say Never Mind the Billhooks would be your best bet. Maybe use the Hussites as a base and remove the war wagons from the army list?