Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 04:04:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1685051
  • Total Topics: 118007
  • Online Today: 766
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Gunners Battletech project  (Read 1626 times)

Offline Gunner Dunbar

• Mastermind
Gunners Battletech project
« on: July 02, 2022, 05:37:19 AM »
Hi guys

Haven’t posted for a while, I played a few games of Battletech in the 90s and liked it, but never invested, it was always on the periphery of my mind, and has come into focus through the PC game Battletech and MW5, I made a few BT mechs in 15mn which is my preferred scale for sci-fi, I always felt the metal BT mechs were a little anemic, thin legs etc, I 3D printed a few and they are nice, but then I found catalyst games plastic mechs and I’m hooked, have gone on a bit of a spending spree and now have at least 1 of most of the mechs they make, I’ll split them into, Steiner, Kurita, Jade falcon, an 2 x mercenary forces, I’ve started out with some test paints for Kurita and the 2x merc groups.

Kurita - just went with a generic black/red scheme, all markings are hand painted, I may change the scheme a little for future addition, some all black with red highlights, others all red with black highlights, these are 90% finished.

Merc group 1- purple/sand this is based on 1 of my MW5 campaign schemes, these mechs are all 3D printed, they are pretty nice, especially the Atlas and Annihilator, but their details are a little shallower than the plastic mechs, all markings except the numbers are hand painted, 90% finished

Merc group 2 - another MW5 scheme of mine, this one I gave each mech their own colour scheme, there’s still a lot of work to do on these, only the nightstar and thunderbolt even have their basic colour scheme done, the others are really only in their undercoat/basecoat phase.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: Gunners Battletech project
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2022, 05:54:34 AM »
They look great  :)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2022, 06:20:23 AM »
Oh nice. Played this a lot in the 90s, but totally lost contact.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2022, 06:22:12 AM »
Even though I've ditched my own re-fired Battletech project I'm glad to see so many people taking advantage of the fact that - for the first time since the game launched - nice, decently sculpted miniatures are available.

Battletech has long been massively hindered by awful metal sculpts, and a general lack of mech sculpts/options.  their plastics have been relative crap, etc.  Now they finally produce decent miniatures - and tons of people are selling 3D prints (legally, as Mechwarrior Online released their digital models for free for people to use).

It's cool to see the game FINALLY being played the way it should.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 140
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Gunner Dunbar

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2022, 06:38:45 AM »
Even though I've ditched my own re-fired Battletech project I'm glad to see so many people taking advantage of the fact that - for the first time since the game launched - nice, decently sculpted miniatures are available.

Battletech has long been massively hindered by awful metal sculpts, and a general lack of mech sculpts/options.  their plastics have been relative crap, etc.  Now they finally produce decent miniatures - and tons of people are selling 3D prints (legally, as Mechwarrior Online released their digital models for free for people to use).

It's cool to see the game FINALLY being played the way it should.

I agree, the plastics are great, I haven’t done any conversions yet, but they will be excellent for converting.

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2022, 10:38:39 AM »
Superb work Dunbar!

Not seen the Purple-Tan combo before but I really like it!

I've started seeing the new plastics at a local games store and I'm very tempted, but have way too much on to be starting new projects. Life is made more interesting by the explosion of 3D printed vehicles/mechs and buildings!

Are these 6mm? My first tangle with MW was the pre-painted series and they were all 10mm which isn't a scale I'm particularly into.

Offline Gunner Dunbar

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2022, 11:40:53 AM »
Superb work Dunbar!

Not seen the Purple-Tan combo before but I really like it!

I've started seeing the new plastics at a local games store and I'm very tempted, but have way too much on to be starting new projects. Life is made more interesting by the explosion of 3D printed vehicles/mechs and buildings!

Are these 6mm? My first tangle with MW was the pre-painted series and they were all 10mm which isn't a scale I'm particularly into.
Yeah 6mm, they are slightly bigger tha the Iron wind metals.

Offline Kelly_

• Bookworm
  • ...the underscore is silent
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2022, 12:23:31 PM »
Fantastic work on group 1!  The twinned white lines look perfect; I wouldn't have been brave enough to try that on one mech, let alone a whole group.
If my wife asks, I only spent half as much as I wanted to...

Offline Gunner Dunbar

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2022, 10:29:52 PM »
Fantastic work on group 1!  The twinned white lines look perfect; I wouldn't have been brave enough to try that on one mech, let alone a whole group.
Thanks mate

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Often confused or misunderstood...
    • Inso's World
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2022, 05:23:30 PM »
Fantastic paint on these :) ... They look brilliant in their lances :) . Top job!

Offline LouieN

• Mastermind
  • "Aure entuluva!"
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2022, 08:22:28 PM »
good stuff. 

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
  • All Purpose Neko-Sensei
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2022, 07:43:15 PM »
Those are looking really nice — looking forward to seeing more!

I picked up a bunch of dice and other chrome bits from the big Kickstarter, but decided to pass on the [great looking] mechs because of the furshlugginer scale creep.  I've got way to much painted of the old Ral Partha and even FASA plastic [inexpensive was a big bonus for them] to restart now in essentially a new scale.

Offline Gunner Dunbar

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2022, 06:59:48 AM »
Yeah, it’s a shame about the scale discrepancy.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2022, 09:29:24 AM »
Very nice. Love the cohesiveness of these guys.