Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:54:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Winter is Coming - Conclusion  (Read 14610 times)

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Winter is Coming - Stark Swordsmen
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2022, 05:48:50 PM »
Nice job on those! I think the mud basing would be suitable for a lot of locations.

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Winter is Coming - Stark Swordsmen
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2022, 08:59:15 AM »
Welcome to LAF Rosie  :)

Good work on the Northmen - am sure you will find plenty of Westerosi inspiration on LAF

8)

Offline Rosie

• Bookworm
Re: Winter is Coming - Robb's Retinue
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2022, 01:03:24 PM »
Thank you again for all the love! I'm glad you like how they turned out.
Rosie: first let me applaud your painting ! And second a suggestion: please ALSO read the books ! I found them enormous fun, although I hate George Martin for not finishing his series... (;-)).
I actually read the books, two times even. I watched season one and two, then started reading the books and read them a second time after season five I believe. Since I absolutely loved the aesthetics of the first two seasons though, they got into my head and formed part of the image while I was reading. Which is also one of the reasons I'm staying close to the series when it comes to this project. As for the story though, well let's hope George doesn't eat himself to death before finishing TWOW and ADOS so we do get a satisfactory ending...

Now, I am happy to announce that I've got something new to show you. I finally finished Robb Stark and his retinue of horsemen today. As you can see, I mostly went with the same color scheme I used on the swordsmen, though I changed the dirty grey on Robb's clothing for black since that's the color he's wearing on the show. As for his horse, I saw pictures of him both on a brown and a white one so had some choice. I went with a white horse in the end, since I think it gives the more royal look to him.

I hope you like them! Again, the bases will be decorated further once I have finished the core of my army. Next up will be Greatjon Umber and his band of axemen. Stay tuned!

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Winter is Coming - Robb's Retinue
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2022, 05:26:47 PM »
Very nice job on the cavalry! I like your choice of a white horse for Robb, it’s always classy to have the boss on a standout mount.

Offline Rosie

• Bookworm
Re: Winter is Coming - Greatjon Umber
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2022, 10:46:10 AM »
Alright, I have good news and bad news. Good news first, I managed to finish Greatjon Umber today. For the model, I went with Theodore the Realm Warden from Fireforge as a base. His armor matches that from the show rather well, he has the great sword and perhaps most important of all, he's at least a head taller than the other miniatures I'm using. Now to make him resemble the Greatjon, I did two things. First of all, I glued some metal chains over his armor for that distinct Umber look. Secondly, I swapped the head for one that I think just looks that little bit more like him.

Now onto the painting scheme. I want my Umbers to look different to my Starks, yet still fit in well enough. That's why I went with a darker, more wood like brown for the leather parts, then used the same brown I used for the leather on my Starks to paint his coat with (and also resemble the Umber brown). Finally, his cloak and trousers were done in black like with all of my commanders.

Though I am really happy with how he turned out, I did run into a little bit of a problem. I wanted to do my Umber axemen with the same kind of plated armor and leather studs. The only plastic models I could find like that were the Stone Realms Arbalesters from Fireforge. Being dwarves, however, I found out that no matter what I did (tried leg swaps with and without the armor skirts with the Northmen themselves), I just couldn't get the proportions right. Thats why I'd like to ask you all if you know of any plastic or resin miniatures that have similar armor.

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2022, 12:13:01 PM »
That’s a shame the Fireforge dwarves didn’t work. One possible alternative for base bodies to build on would be the Oathmark human figures - they are hard plastic and most of them on each spruce have leather armour with some metal studs showing. https://www.northstarfigures.com/prod.php?prod=12386

There are no two-handed axes on the sprues, though. You could get those from the Frostgrave Barbarians kit, which has one pair of axe arms, one pair of 2-handed hammer arms and a spear held in two hands per sprue.

The hammers and spears can be converted into battle axes by cutting off the heads and gluing axe heads on with plastic cement (there are 2 1-hand axes that are pretty big on each sprue)

It is a bit expensive, since you’ll need both boxes to make 15 axe-men. Maybe you could use the barbarian bodies for wildling allies if you expand into the later period’s battles against the white walkers…. (or as enemies raiding south of the wall). You’ll also have lots of spare Oathmark bodies…

I haven’t seen the Oathmark humans next to Fireforge fantasy figures - they might be a bit shorter. Maybe that’s not a problem, though, since Greatjon will look even taller!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2022, 12:15:24 PM by Pattus Magnus »

Offline Rosie

• Bookworm
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2022, 01:05:40 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion. I did think about them before, but I’m not sure. There are two models on each sprue with both the plating and the studs, but one has got a cloak which I don’t like. So that would mean two boxes (I want 12) with only one pose. I could also go for the ones that have just the studs, but in that case I’d be better off with the Fireforge Amulvaghars. Still hoping to find some with both studs and plates though.

As for the arms and axes, that shouldn’t be a problem. I still have like 20+ Northmen spears laying around and already got some halberds to use the heads from.

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2022, 03:51:01 PM »
Great work on the Greatjon! The chains are a really nice touch!

In terms of bodies with leather armour and studs, would either the Fireforge Almughavars or Scandinavian kits work from your perspective? The Scandinavian one has a few bodies with lamellar-style small plates (The website paints them as metal though) which could work, but they don't have studs on

The Perry Miniatures War of the Roses infantry box has two bodies with brigandines on, but that'd be a lot of spare parts for only two bodies out of every twelve!

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2022, 05:18:26 PM »
It seems like having a lot of leftover bodies is going to be an issue, no matter which option you pick. Maybe the ticket is to go with whichever base set seems like the spares will have a use in some other unit. Maybe the Perry miniatures ones could be used as Riverlands Allie’s or something along those lines?

Offline Rosie

• Bookworm
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2022, 12:16:05 PM »
Thanks again for the suggestions. I actually own a couple of Perry boxes, but the sizing just isn't right for them. They're already skinnier than the ME SGB range from GW and the Northmen are even bulkier than those. I guess I'll just go with the Amulghavars if no other options pop up. At least there are 12 bodies with studs in that box so I'll only need one

Offline Rosie

• Bookworm
Re: Winter is Coming - Galbart Glover
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2022, 05:49:11 PM »
Alright, so I decided to order the Almughavars, which should arrive in a few days so I can finally start converting. Also added in some bits for something I'll still keep a surprise for now. In the mean time though, I finished another model: Gilbert Glover. Now there's not too much to go on for him. He had like one shot in the series which showed him in regular Stark commander armor and no clear description in the books either. Since I want him to fit in with my Stark swordsmen, I decided to indeed go with the commander armor and used the spare head from Theodore to go along with the most dramatic pose the Fireforge box allowed me to come up with...

As you can see, I went with the same paint job I used on the Starks, but with a few differences. Firstly, his clothes are black instead of grey like on the other commanders. But to make him more unique, I also did a freehand (pun intended) on his shield. I'm really happy with how it turned out. It's the first time I ever tried one and even up close it doesn't look too messy I think.

I also assembled and painted up the standard bearer, but waited with painting the banner itself. I want to get a little more experience with freehanding on the other models before I try my luck with the wolf that will go onto it.

Anyways, I hope you have a lovely day and stay tuned for more!

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2022, 06:12:51 PM »
Nice build, good job on the freehand.

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2022, 06:46:44 PM »
Nice work! And great job on the freehand heraldry!

The weathering on the cloak is a nice touch as well

Offline Rosie

• Bookworm
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2022, 06:57:58 AM »
Thank you all for the praise! So apparently, Dutch customs take more time checking packages than the packages take to arrive, which means I am not receiving my almughavars before going on holiday. Since I did want to post something before I leave, however, I am showing you another character conversion I recently did that's ready to be painted when I'm back. Can you guess who it is?

Offline Olsson

• Librarian
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2022, 02:39:09 PM »
I like what I am seeing here! Fun to do your own take on these things. I am no expert, but some manner of Mormont she-bear I'd assume?