Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 04:24:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1685053
  • Total Topics: 118007
  • Online Today: 766
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 18mm First Afghan War British  (Read 1086 times)

Offline dan97526

• Assistant
18mm First Afghan War British
« on: July 06, 2022, 04:51:02 PM »
Hi,

I'm getting a First Afghan War project off the ground, or trying to.  I'm hoping someone can point me in the direction of proxy figures for the British Infantry in this campaign.  I'm heavily invested in 18mm Blue Moon for the Mutiny and NWF, so I'd like to stay in that 18mm/large 15mm size range for compatibility.  I'm looking at AB Miniatures Napoleonics, but the range is so varied and my uniform knowledge of the period is limited. Basically, if I can get figures with the bell-top shako and crossbelts more or less right, and the cut of the uniform in the ballpark I'd be satisfied.

Thanks in advance.

Offline marco55

• Mastermind
Re: 18mm First Afghan War British
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2022, 07:10:46 PM »
These are 28mm but I thought you might like to look at the uniforms. https://www.empressminiatures.com/gaps-range-127-c.asp

Mark

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2022, 07:45:44 PM »
I´m no expert in that period and dont know what uniforms where used but you can check the Eureka 18mm Crimean war range. Maybe its the closest one.

https://www.eurekaminuk.com/collections/crimean-war?page=1

Offline Kikuchiyo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2022, 07:57:21 PM »
Not experienced either

Newline - while truescale 20mm and a bit biggers than 18mm are very good and might have what you are looking for?

https://newlinedesigns.co.uk/product-category/newline-designs-20mm-ranges/newline-designs-20mm-ranges-colonial/
« Last Edit: July 06, 2022, 08:00:09 PM by Kikuchiyo »

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2022, 08:34:11 PM »
Hi, Lancashire Games produce a small Sikh Wars range of figures.  IMHO not the best figures but worth  look.

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2022, 12:53:35 AM »
Here is a link to the Lancashire Games range SJWi mentioned above:

https://www.lancashiregames.com/lg/18mm-sikh-wars.html

Sikhs Wars British uniforms are much closer, some identical, to those used during the First Afghan War, while Crimean War British uniforms were significantly different.  In 18mm this may or may not be a problem for you.

Also in 15/18mm are a few British Auxiliary Legion packs of figures (2 Inf & 1 x Cav) from the old Capitan Games Carlist Wars range, still available now from Stonewall Figures, here:

https://www.stonewallfigures.co.uk/product-category/capitan-warmoedlling-carlist-wars/isabelinos-1833-1840/

They are in uniforms identical to the First Afghan War, with the arguable exception that at least some of the infantry have knapsacks on, which were generally carried by the baggage train in Afghanistan.

Picking up from your mention of the AB napoleonics range... I am a great admirer of their sculpting but not an expert on which specific wars and campaigns it covers.  It's possible you could put together appropriate British forces using French in overcoats from the 1812 invasion of Russia, if such troops are available in the AB range, though of course these could only be used for fighting in the Winter.  First Afghan War uniform reference is not that difficult to come by these days, and there is a solid Osprey book you may or may not be aware of, covering the campaign, available here:

https://ospreypublishing.com/the-first-afghan-war-1839-42?___store=osprey_usa

I would also recommend the books "The Fierce Pawns" AKA: "Signal Catastrophe" (in the UK) by Patrick Arthur MacRory, and "Beyond the Khyber Pass, the Road to Disaster in the First Afghan War" by John H. Waller.

Last but not least, on the primary source/first-person history front, I also recommend "A Journal of the Disasters in Afghanistan, 1841-2" by Florentia Sale, wife of General Sale, who was taken as a hostage by the Afghans during the retreat from Kabul.  An easily accessible online edition is available here:

"https://www.gutenberg.org/files/50219/50219-h/50219-h.htm
« Last Edit: July 07, 2022, 10:52:22 AM by Mad Guru »
"We shall see what wisdom lies beneath my madness!"

Offline giorgio

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2022, 06:31:06 AM »
I'm positively surprised to see that Mad Guru authority spreads over the first half of the century too! ;) Humbling bowing to his great knowledge I dare to submit the book that best fits the retreat from Kabul feelings and is of course Flashman, the novel by George MacDonald Fraser lol

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2022, 06:45:31 AM »
Hahah… Well done, Giorgio — and no, this time I won’t say “and you will be”! 

On this occasion you spread not Evil but Good!  It’s true, the first Flashman book is arguably equal to any historical treatise in telling the story of the First Afghan War, and exceeds most in terms of entertainment value and literary style.  I’ve long worshipped at the foot of the great George MacDonald Fraser in his roles as both a screenwriter and a novelist.  In this I entirely share your opinion and I assume the opinion of Mulehead Khan.  Truly a first!

And to the OP Dan9726, apologies for diverting your thread a bit!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2022, 06:51:38 AM by Mad Guru »

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2022, 09:31:41 AM »
You want bell top shakos for the most part, covered or uncovered. Coat tails were significantly longer than Napoleonic versions, so the Crimean figures are a good suggestion.  Head swaps between suitable French  or other Napoleonic shakos with Crimean War bodies would probably give you what you need but in the absence of a range of separate heads would probably be horrendously expensive and quite a lot of work if you are planning on anything more than skirmish forces.

If there is indeed a Carlist war range of Auxiliary Legion figures they would be near ideal as proxies. Just need to paint on the chest lace on the coats.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline dan97526

• Assistant
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2022, 04:05:27 PM »
And to the OP Dan9726, apologies for diverting your thread a bit!

An' where d'ye suppose I'm getting my inspiration?  :D

Offline dan97526

• Assistant
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2022, 08:25:44 PM »
Thanks, everyone.  Good information, all.

Well, this cost me a little money and threw me into a new scale and period.  The Newline Designs 20mm were so appealing to me that I made a sample order from their Sikh Wars range.  That's a period I've long wanted to do. I again thank (or blame) George MacDonald Frasier; Flashman and the Mountain of Light is one of my favorites of the Papers.

I do have some Studio Miniatures 28mm figures that I picked up for the Retreat, and plenty of Perry Pathans.  With those, I can do skirmishes if inclined.