Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:51:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686666
  • Total Topics: 118120
  • Online Today: 817
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: My Vth Legion Project  (Read 2051 times)

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
My Vth Legion Project
« on: July 10, 2022, 08:25:21 PM »
For my next Horus Heresy Legion I decided to do White Scars.  I had a small White Scars force in 3rd edition 40K but then sold it so I thought it would be cool to do another one for Heresy.  I was a little torn about which legion to do.  I have a bunch of traitor stuff, mostly for Istvaan III where they can play both sides.  My main force is still XIIth legion, but then I have decent sized VIth and XVth Legion forces to play Prospero.

I wanted to do something for the Solar War and since I have stuff for the traitors my choices were Vth, VIIth or IXth Legion.  Since a couple of buddies play Blood Angels they were out.

The Imperial Fists are a pretty cool force but their Primarch model has to be one of the most boring in the whole collection.  If they had done him more like they did the Lion I probably would have gone with the VIIth Legion.

But they didn't.  So that made the choice simple. 

We are starting an escalation league tomorrow for HH.  The first week will be 500 pts, 1000 pts the second week, 2000 pts the third week and 3500 pts the fourth week. 

This is my first 500 pts.  Actually, I won't be using the rhinos as kitted out the squads and the consul come to 495.  They, and one more of them, will be part of the 1000 pts for the next week.

The models all have pretty individual patterns on their armour.  I haven't decided yet how to demark squads or companies.  So far it looks like they will be indicated by the amount of red on their packs.  Top red for 1st squad, 2nd section red for 2nd squad and so on.  5th squad will be top two sections red, 6th squad will be top and 3rd section and so on. 

In the next 1000 pts I'll fill out the plasma gunners squad to a full 10 man squad and they will have a rhino.  I'll put in 3 jetbikes and then adding in a Stormseer will get me to 1000 pts.

Can't get a good picture of that consul no matter what I do.

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
Re: My Vth Legion Project
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2022, 03:50:25 PM »
I got a couple more vehicles done for the Vth.

One more Rhino and a Land Raider Spartan.

The Spartan will have a compliment of 10 terminators inside it.  Hopefully they will be done today or tomorrow.  All will have paired lightning claws except the two heavy flamers and the sergeant.

I gave the Spartan the lascannons in the front as I'm going to focus on having most of my anti-armour weapons mounted on things rather than having infantry equipped with them.  I have three jet bikes assembled so far and all three took multi-meltas. 

The infantry will be assigned the role of seizing objectives and taking out opposing infantry, which they excelled at in this past week's game.

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2022, 06:49:21 PM »
The terminators are finished. 

I gave most of them lightning claws so that this can be my dedicated close combat unit and I can focus on the bikes as being anti-armour.  I guess it will be my dedicated close combat unit until I finish the Khan.  Then I'll have two dedicated CC units.

There are a couple of heavy flamers in there too.  They are there to soften up the enemy but also so that the unit itself has some anti-terminator punching power.  I debated about leaving a couple of others with power fists but ultimately decided that these guys are mostly going to be used to carve their way through power armour units, getting dumped by their machine into the thickest concentration of PA guys possible.

There aren't going to be too many PA units that survive getting hit by two heavy flamers then charged by 7 pairs of lightning claws.   They should be able to have some effect on terminators too, although I'd fancy the chances of a regular unit of 5 terminators with power fists vs. this unit with only 2 powerfists.

Offline aliensurfer

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2022, 11:22:42 PM »
Very nice, love the battle damage.

Offline Battle Brush Sigur

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2022, 11:26:24 PM »
Very nice indeed! I don't think we often see HH White Scars. Also really dig the muddy bases.

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2022, 12:46:07 AM »
Thanks! 

I think the lack of White Scars is partially due to the price of fielding bikes from Forge World.  Of course you don't *need* bikes to put Vth Legion on the table, but they are a pretty big part of the force. 

The other problem is that they were one of the last Legions to get their full rules.  We only saw the rules for the Khan come out in Malevolence which was book 8 of the Heresy stuff for first edition.  Without a primarch model and without proper rules for the force it was difficult to play them for most of the time in 1st edition.

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2024, 01:13:03 AM »
Finally returned to this project.  I got a squad of assault marines done. 

Ten-man assault squad with two guys having plasma pistols and two guys with power swords, plus the sergeant with a power fist.  They should be pretty well equipped to cut their way through other regular marine squads, although they will have some trouble with terminators. 

I did the white a little differently.  This time I started with a khaki base and built it up with warmer off whites to finish with white.  I also hand painted them instead of airbrushing them, so they took A LOT longer.  I've been working on these guys since December. 

Offline LouieN

• Mastermind
  • "Aure entuluva!"
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2024, 05:36:30 AM »
A very neat force.  Nice weathering on the tanks

Offline Basementboy

• Scientist
  • Happy little chappy from the mythical ingerland
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2024, 08:05:42 AM »
Absolutely lovely- love the battle damage.