Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:19:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686621
  • Total Topics: 118114
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: FFoL M&M - Trojan War Skirmish  (Read 2948 times)

Offline Maniac

• Scientist
FFoL M&M - Trojan War Skirmish
« on: July 11, 2022, 01:19:24 AM »
My kids didn't seem too interested in getting Fistful of Mecha going again, always something else more interesting, so I setup for FFoL - M&M in the Trojan War.  I've been working on various forces involved for quite a while, and decided to run a raid prior to the 9th year.  Odysseus and the Ithacans have raided a small town to capture some of the local hoi-polloi for ransom.  They are interrupted mid search of the villa when a Trojan scouting party lead by Deiphobus stumbles upon them.

To start, the Ithacans had three men in the villa and two on the bridge, while the Trojans came in on one of the two roads the Ithacans could use to escape.  They had to search the villa rooms (regular task) to find the noble and his daughter.  The river could be forded, but required a regular task roll on entry and during movement.  Failing the task roll would see the user go down and require a task roll to get back up.

Odysseus got things going by finding the daughter on the opening move, but it would take another heavy round of searching to find the noble.  Still, they found the hostages and proceeded to exit while the Trojan's were still sneaking through the village.

Deiphobus was a bit brash, and made a move towards the bridge and the plucky archer took a shot, but only scored a shock.  The rest of the Trojans snuck along behind the buildings of the village and the village well.

Deiphobus thought better of things, and moved into hiding with a javelin in support.  Meanwhile the lone Ithacan spearman on the bridge moved up to buy time for the rest of the war party to move across the river.

Helenus decided to avenge his brother and charged the archer, but being a healer and follower of Apollo, he proved ineffective at combat (my son rolled a 1 I rolled a 9, and then rolled a 9 to put him out of action).  Definitely not the expected course of action to be sure, a named character falling to a pleb.

The Trojans rallied, and a spearman ran in to defend his fallen comrade, spearing the Ithacan archer through the heart (me 3, son 10, then 10 on the wound).  Determined to fight to the death, the Ithacans slipped by rather than challenge him.  Meanwhile, at the cross roads, an inconclusive series of clashes leaves the Ithacan front runner and a Trojan Spearman each with a shock, staring at each other as sweat rolled off the brow.

Eventually, the Ithacans killed the Trojan blocker, and escaped down the road.  Odysseus did take a wound from the Trojan javelin thrower as he beat a retreat, but was able to shepherd his prizes back to a waiting ship.  3 of the Trojans were down vs only one Ithacan resulting in a stunning victory for the Achaean forces.  It bodes poorly for Troy's loose coalition of supporters.

Rather humorously, one of the Ithacans failed to cross the stream all game long.  Slipping on the stones, he'd get up and go right back down again on the following card.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2022, 12:09:55 PM by Maniac »
On time, on target, or the next one's free

Offline Maniac

• Scientist
Re: FFoL M&M - Trojan War Skirmish
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2022, 01:47:04 AM »
Ithacan forces, all Redoubt save the archer who is Newline:

The Trojans, who consist of all Old Glory save Helenus who is Redoubt (the Deiphobus is a converted old Glory figure, with repositioned head and legs).

I've said it elsewhere, but the Old Glory figures are TERRIBLE!  There is so much carving required to make them usable.  Redoubt does have some casting issues from time to time, but otherwise I do like their minis.  They look the part, and don't have weird ankle joints or bones protruding from the skin like Old Glory.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2022, 09:20:23 AM »
great sounding game and looking board.

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2022, 12:46:05 PM »
Nice looking game!

Offline rumacara

• Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2022, 01:03:11 PM »
Great game and terrain. :-* :-*

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2022, 07:19:41 PM »
Love the theme to this game.
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2022, 09:19:58 PM »
Excellent idea for a game.

Offline Maniac

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2022, 03:07:50 PM »
Thanks all, if was an enjoyable time spent with my son.  It got him also wanting to paint up/create his own warband.  So that is also a plus.

Offline rumacara

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2022, 04:20:06 PM »
Can i ask what stats did you use for your warbands please?

Offline Maniac

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2022, 01:27:55 AM »
Ithaca:

Odysseus:  D10/D10, Leader, Quick, 9 Lives, Cunning, Sharp Tongued, Sword, Spear, Shield, Light Armor - He wins a foot race after the death of Achillies and is known for his sharp tongue and cunning mind

Epiratus:  D10/D10, Deadly Strike, Shield Master, Sword, Spear, Shield, Light Armor - from a fiction series about Odysseus, reputed to be a deadly fighter

Ithacan Spearman x2: D10/D10, Indomitable, Spear, Sword, Shield - They suffer all the way through the Odyssey

Achaean Archer:  D10/D10, Sniper, Bow, Dagger

Trojans:

Deiphobus:  D-/D12, Leader, Brute, Encouraging, Infiltrator, Running Attack, Spear, Sword, Light Armor, Shield - a later husband of Helen, supposedly a bit of a Brute, but a Trojan Leader who supports Hector

Helenus:  D10/D10, Healer, Strategist, Sword, Spear, Shield, Light Armor - companion of Deiphobus, a priest/seer and devotee of Apollo

Trojan Spearman x2:  D10/D10, Loyal, Sword, Spear, Shield - as the besieged, where do they run to?

Trojan Peltast:  D10/D10, Sniper, Javelins, Shield, Dagger

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2022, 03:53:12 AM »
Oh shiny! Love the idea of Troyan war skirmishes and your tabletop looks fabulous.  :o Very nice AAR.

I’m really tempted with FfoL Fantasy. It’s currently however the investment of three books that has stopped me.

Offline rumacara

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2022, 08:54:20 AM »
Maniac, thank you for your answer. :)
I will have to try one of these days. I have some 20 Trojans and 20 Sea Peoples figures to do some skirmish games.

Offline BaronVonJ

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Quality gaming, every Thursday night...
    • the Baron's Blog
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2022, 01:13:21 PM »
Great game. Love the stats. Good excuse to paint my Foundry Trojans..

Offline blacksoilbill

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2022, 02:06:06 PM »
That's a great looking game.

Offline Maniac

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2022, 06:59:28 PM »
I will also recommend chits to track who has been activated, particularly with multiple players.  At the club, in other games, we've had a couple times of "did I use him/her already?"

Even in this game my son had a moment where he forgot, and using the little greek coins (place them as you use a model on one turn, remove them as you use them on the next) helped resolve it very quick without argument.