Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:45:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: What Blue for Napoleonic Prussian Landwehr  (Read 1041 times)

Offline brunei35

• Scientist
What Blue for Napoleonic Prussian Landwehr
« on: July 14, 2022, 02:01:05 PM »
The pictures I have for Napoleonic Prussian Landwehr from books and the net are a lighter shade than 'Prussian Blue' to my eyes (which is what the only painting guides that I can find on the internet say to use). Can I ask anyone who has done a lighter shade what they used please ? - using Vallejo paints preferably.

Thanks in advance

Cheers
Tony

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
Re: What Blue for Napoleonic Prussian Landwehr
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2022, 09:19:40 AM »
Prussian Blue artist paint is quite a light blue.

Offline Ruire

• Assistant
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2022, 02:10:03 PM »
There's a long-running tradition of illustrators and hobbyists confusing 'Prussian blue' the pigment with 'Prussian blue' the dye used by the line infantry of the Kingdom of Prussia. My understanding is that it the dye was probably indigo, like the French, and probably changed quite a bit depending on the period (and maybe even between regiments). I.e. the 'Prussian blue' of Frederick II's infantry vs that of Wilhelm I is not necessarily the same.

Getting back to the OP, there's even the likelihood that the infamous 'Prussian black' of Waterloo fame may well have been a lighter blue than the blue of the French. Personally, I'd be inclined to go with something like VMC/VPA Periscopes (maybe starting over VMC Dark Sea Blue) or AK Interactive Russian Blue Base & Light (for the sake of comparison). These all give a nice medium-dark blue IMO. For the Landwehr in particular, I'd say you could even go a bit lighter.

You could also just go with VMC Dark Prussian Blue and Prussian Blue. These are obviously referring to the pigment rather than the uniforms, but they work perfectly fine - it's what I normally use for my Continental infantry. If you do, I find you need to use the lighter Prussian Blue very sparingly as it can give unnatural-looking highlights.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2022, 02:15:18 PM by Ruire »

Offline brunei35

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2022, 04:41:42 PM »
Thank you to both for replies, much appreciate you taking the time. Will go experiment

Cheers
« Last Edit: July 16, 2022, 10:09:58 PM by brunei35 »

Offline Ruire

• Assistant
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2022, 12:45:42 AM »
If you do go with VMC Dark Prussian Blue, what I find helpful is to first paint a mix of black and Dark Prussian Blue - usually slightly less black - for your shadows. But I prefer my blues to be more subdued!

Further, I find Vallejo Game Colour Imperial Blue (or the old GW Regal Blue if you have that) provides a nice mid-tone between VMC Dark Prussian Blue and the lighter Prussian Blue, which you can then use more sparingly. (I personally find blue is better when under-highlighted)

Offline brunei35

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2022, 12:46:22 PM »
Thank you Ruire fir the advice, very useful.

Cheers

Offline Khusru2

• Librarian
    • Travels with Khusru
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2022, 05:44:47 PM »
Napoleon is said to have asked 'is that Prussian black or French blue ' at Waterloo. If that is true it should be a dark blue. Having seen Prussian blue previously as dark as navy, from Humbrol I think, I went with dark blue from Revell.