Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 02:11:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690921
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 657
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 579
Total: 584

Recent

Author Topic: CapnJim's Pulp Stuff (2nd Matewan Convention Game AAR - Pg 15...08 Nov 23)  (Read 30986 times)

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
Re: CapnJim's Pulp Stuff (More Figures for Matewan - Pg 10...04 Jun 23).
« Reply #150 on: June 06, 2023, 07:53:13 PM »
A growing collection of useful wargames figures. Well done.

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
Re: CapnJim's Pulp Stuff (More Figures for Matewan - Pg 10...04 Jun 23).
« Reply #151 on: June 08, 2023, 08:21:32 PM »
Thanks, has.been.  Appreciate that.

And here are 2 buildings I'll be using in my Matewan games.  As you can see they represent Chambers Hardware and the Post Office, in front of which most of the actual gunfight took place.  In fact, you can still see bullet holes in the building that used to be the Post Office (see the first pic below).

They are generic enough, however, that I can use them in any prohibition era game.  Or really, just about any US/Canada genre from about 1900 up to today.....

These are 28mm, of course.  They are "Americana Shop" kits (pre-painted) from Mad Bob Miniatures' "Folding Terrain" line.  I got them from Badger Games here in the States.  I did up the signs in MSPaint, and cut-and-pasted them into an MSWord document, and then sized them appropriately.  I them printed them off on standard printer paper and glued them to the sign boards included in the kit.  I did do a bit of touch-up painting here and there.  I also put up venue-appropriate posters on both exterior and interior walls of these buildings (even including Wanted posters for the inside of the Post Office!).

These were a cinch to put together.  It took me about 7 hours all told to do both of these buildings, including doing up the signs and posters.

Next up are a couple more similar buildings - "Americana Tenement" kits from Mad Bob Miniatures.  I'll work on them next week.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2023, 10:41:17 PM by CapnJim »
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
Re: CapnJim's Pulp Stuff (Buildings for Matewan - Pg 11...08 Jun 23).
« Reply #152 on: June 16, 2023, 10:26:11 PM »
Those are looking great, Jim!

Mike Demana

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #153 on: June 17, 2023, 01:32:14 AM »
Thanks, Mike.  I should have pics of 2 more posted next week, but they'll be a bit more generic...

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #154 on: June 28, 2023, 08:54:46 PM »
Thanks, Mike.  I should have pics of 2 more posted next week, but they'll be a bit more generic...

And here they are.  These two, also by Mad Bob Miniatures (received from Badger Games here in the States), are generic Americana tenement buildings in his folding terrain line.  These (as well as the previous two shop buildings) measure 5" wide x 4" deep x 4.75" tall.  Like the other 2, they were easy to assemble.  As you can see, I put the side windows on opposite sides of these 2 buildings, as the side wall sections are interchangeable.  Looking at the 3rd pic below, maybe I should have used 1920s era vehicles, scatter, and figures...oh well....you still get the idea scale-wise... 8)

As a note, Mad Bob also makes add-on floors, so you can make 3 or more storied buildings if you'd like.  I may do that...

I'm waiting on my mat from Cigar Box Battle Mats, and I plan to borrow Ted's train station.  Other than that, I think I have everything I need terrain- and figure-wise for my Matewan scenario.  Just gotta do up the scenario sheets...

Once I have everything ready, I'll post pics of the terrain, all the Baldwin-Felts agents and Coal Miners/townsfolk, and the scenario information here.  That shouldn't be too far down the road.   And then playtesting will commence, likely in late July.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2023, 08:58:01 PM by CapnJim »

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
Re: CapnJim's Pulp Stuff (More Buildings for Matewan - Pg 11...28 Jun 23).
« Reply #155 on: June 29, 2023, 09:02:27 AM »
Growing well Capn.
I do like the high fencing over the alley entrance.

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #156 on: June 29, 2023, 10:30:43 PM »
Growing well Capn.
I do like the high fencing over the alley entrance.

Thanks.  It's 4Ground, as is the sidewalk.  Got quite a bit of both...and they'll be out for the Matewan scenario...
« Last Edit: June 30, 2023, 01:02:46 AM by CapnJim »

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #157 on: June 30, 2023, 11:43:58 PM »
Great looking street scene. Love your scatter -- especially the parking meters in this shot and the telephone/electric poles in your other games.

Mike Demana

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #158 on: July 01, 2023, 03:33:30 PM »
Thanks, Mike.  Appreciate that...model railroad accessories (especially the pre-painted stuff) works great!

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #159 on: July 04, 2023, 04:59:38 PM »
Great looking street scene. Love your scatter -- especially the parking meters in this shot and the telephone/electric poles in your other games.

Mike Demana

Mike's right it's all the detail that changes it from a relatively sterile wargames table to something believable. You do a great job with that in your setups.

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #160 on: July 04, 2023, 10:14:53 PM »
Thanks, Vagabond!  I really appreciate that... :)

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #161 on: July 08, 2023, 09:46:37 PM »
Okay.  Looks like I've got all the terrain and minis ready for my 1920 WV Mine wars Battle of Matewan scenario.  It's all 28mm, from various manufacturers.  I've set up the terrain, and below are pics.  What it IS NOT is an exact reproduction of the battle site.  What it IS is (I believe) a decent setup that represents the battle site and sets the right mood. I will likely add some more scatter terrain (firewood piles, outhouses, more crates/barrels, etc.) when I actually run the games.  I still have to do up the scenario sheets for Fistful of Lead (which I hope to do this week sometime, and will post here when I do), but the plan is to do some play-testing later this month and/or in August.  Then, I plan to run it a some cons this fall (i.e. Advance the Colors in Springfield, OH and World at war in Fort Meigs in OH, etc.)...

Pics of the figs are in the next post.

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #162 on: July 08, 2023, 09:50:06 PM »
And here are the combatants for the Battle of Matewan.  The first 3 are Police Chief Sid Hatfield, Mayor Cabel Testerman, and the armed coal miners and townsfolk.   The last 3 are the Baldwin-Felts Detective Agents, led by none other than the Felts Brothers.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
Looking very good Jim!
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Worldwidemike
Looking great, Jim! Who knows? Maybe the central Ohio crew can drive north for a playtest in August? I know Jenny didn't get to come last time, and Stelzer was talking about wanting to go up and see your gaming clubhouse in person...