Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:06:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686455
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: CapnJim's Pulp Stuff (2nd Matewan Convention Game AAR - Pg 15...08 Nov 23)  (Read 30103 times)

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
Re: A Prisoner Swap Gone Bad...(Final AAR Done) 16 Jul 22.
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2022, 05:48:00 PM »
What a great idea for a scenario - very cinematic and that toy car black merc really looks the part...

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2022, 04:01:41 PM »
Thanks, Golgotha! 

That black Mercedes has appeared in several games so far...
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2022, 07:53:52 AM »
Great story line Cptn Jim along with lots of action.

I'd think this would make a great convention game with 3 or so players per side. Maybe give each of them a main quest with an additional one that might be a bit more self serving than the overall good of the gang.

Your mat looks great because you've edged the buildings with pavement, it adds an extra level of realism.  :o it's on my list of things to do that will never get done. ::)
Cheers

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2022, 03:46:13 PM »
As for the sidewalks, they are separate pieces (except around the town hall).  4Ground made a set of them, with 6", 4", 2", and 1" sections, as well as 1" corner sections.  I got a few sets, and they are VERY versatile right out of the package... and thanks for your comments.

And I was juuuust at a convention where there was a lot of 4Ground products...  lol

I'll have to look into them. For now, having made my asphalt tiles and using my acrylic floor tiles that looked like concrete, I feel better about the effect it gives. I'll post some more pics of my Historicon games, soon.

Mike Demana

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2022, 03:48:09 PM »
Thanks, Vagabond.  High praise from you indeed, having seen your stuff!

And we've already decided that scenario would indeed make a good convention game!  I'm already on it... 8)

And that figures Mike.  Ain't that how it goes?  Looking forward to seeing your Historican pics!

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2022, 03:52:39 PM »
We're set to do a redo on this game this coming Friday eve.   Only this time, the local constabulary will get stuck in.  Of course, an illustrated AAR will follow...

And for those of you interested in my "armed civilian" figures we used in that (and will sue in the upcoming) game, see my thread in the "Conflicts That came in From the Cold" Board.  Here:  https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=131442.45  and here: https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=131442.60

The 2nd link also shows the local constabulary...

Offline aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2022, 06:51:25 PM »
We're set to do a redo on this game this coming Friday eve.   Only this time, the local constabulary will get stuck in.  Of course, an illustrated AAR will follow...

Looking forward to reading it  8)

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Re: CapnJim's Pulp Stuff (Another Game Planned for 12 Aug 22).
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2022, 06:01:21 AM »
Always a joy reading your stuff Cap'n! 🫡
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2022, 02:01:04 AM »
Thanks, chaps!  Stay tuned.... :D

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2022, 02:47:57 AM »
...and I like, lucky devil, look forward to playing in that games this weekend!  lol

Mike Demana

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2022, 02:52:17 PM »
Me too.  Looking forward to see how my Policia do on their first outing!

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2022, 07:21:51 PM »
We did indeed play this scenario again this Friday past.  Pretty much the same setup as before.  A local gang and an out-of-town gang agreed to exchange prisoners in the local gang's town plaza.  Only this time, the local police show up.  Ted played the police, while I played the local gang.  LAF member Mike Demana came up and played the out-of-town gang.  All very fitting, as it was my building, Mike came from out-of-town, and Ted is a retired Corrections Officer (all of which just dawned on me...)!

As previously noted, the armed thugs are all Wargames Atlantic French Resistance with Warlord arms and more modern(ish) weapons.  Civilians are Spectre Miniatures.  The new kids on the block, the Policia, are from Brigade Games here in the States.  All 28mm.  The buildings and scatter terrain are from a variety of sources.  The mat is a Cigar Box Battle Mat.  The vehicles are various diecasts (save for the pick-up - its a Walking Dead truck).

We again used Fistful of Lead (the core rules).

As happens, this little dust-up went very differently than the last one.  Here are a few pics of the area in which this "incident" would play itself out...
« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 07:23:29 PM by CapnJim »

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: CapnJim's Pulp Stuff (2nd Game - "Prisoner Swap Gone Bad" 16 Aug 22).
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2022, 08:23:11 PM »
And now to see how it played out...

It was quiet at first.  The local gang leader, with his assistant, had the prisoner with them holed up in their base - a nice house at the southern end of the town plaza.  He had 4 other guys set up around the plaza, keeping an eye on things.  One was up in the house's balcony, while another was across the plaza in the church tower.  He had a guy patrolling the sidewalk around the plaza, and his last guy was in an apartment above the shop across the street from his house.  He thought he had things under control.

He could see local townsfolk going about their business around town.  A guy was walking up the sidewalk to near where one of his gang was patrolling, while another one (looked like a teenager with his hoodie up) was at the fountain.  Another nice-looking couple had just gotten out of their car, and was heading toward the Chinese restaurant across the side street from the gang's house.  The owner of the restaurant was standing on the sidewalk out in front of his place, having a smoke it looked like.  And a yellow car was coming toward the plaza by the church.

The out-of-town bunch came in from the southeast.  They were riding in an orange car and a beat-up green pickup truck.  But this was weird - a couple of the local police were walking the beat, coming toward the plaza along that same road.  He'd never seen them walking like that before.

The 2 out-of-town cars pulled up and stopped right out in front of the house, near the statue in the center of the plaza.  They all piled out and took up positions around their vehicles.  Well, all but their boss.  He and their prisoner got out of the car, and headed toward the statue - their agreed-upon place to do the swap.  By now, those 2 police had made it to the restaurant, and were talking to the owner.  The older policeman was calmly smoking a cigar, while the younger one looked a bit edgy.

The local gang boss waited a few minutes to bring out their prisoner.  But they finally did.  As they left the house, the younger policeman headed toward the out-of-town gang boss and his prisoner to see what was going on.  Looks like they noticed all the guns...  The local gang boss and his prisoner met the policeman halfway to the fountain.  That's when it happened.  Someone fired a shot.  It would later be discovered that it was the local guy in the apartment above the shop - he'd lost his patience and nerve.

Things happened quickly at this point.  Before anyone knew it, 3 of the local gang members and an out-of-towner were laying bleeding and motionless in the street.  The young policeman, crouching near the fountain, was frantically calling for back-up on his portable radio.  The older Policeman was calmly watching events unfold, perhaps waiting to see what would happen.  The civilians were scattering to get out of the line of fire.     

The out-of-towners rescued and untied their guy, as the local boss was down, and hustled him toward their vehicles.  The police decided to side with the locals, and opened up on the out-of-towners.  The out-of-towner guarding their local prisoner went down, and a local guy got to the prisoner and untied him.  As the out-of-towners got to their vehicles, another went down wounded.  Two of them, along with their rescued prisoner, got into the orange car and sped off, leaving 2 of their guys behind.   One of them was wounded.

As the orange car sped away from the plaza to the southwest, the local gang's rescued prisoner had gotten a rifle out of the out-of-towners' pick-up and fired at their orange car, just as 2 Police cars came into town along the same road.  He missed all 3 vehicles!  The Police cars pulled up in front of the pick-up truck, and one policeman got out and fired at the local who they thought had shot at them.  The local guy knocked that policeman down to the ground, while the other policemen got out and surrounded the last out-of-towner standing.  He wisely surrendered, and the wounded out-of-towner died "from his wounds" (the report said). The out-of-towners in the orange car got away.

It was over.  The out-of-towners got 2 gang members and their rescued comrade away.  But they left behind 3 dead gang members, and one was in police custody.  And they left their pick-up behind.  For their troubles, the local gang lost 3 members, but their guy was rescued.  And the Police only had one of their men injured.  No civilians were injured.  Technically, everybody kinda won...

The introduction of the Police definitely had an impact on how things played out.  We decided to let Ted play the police as he saw fit.  At first they were neutral.  But as the local gang took it in the shorts early, he decided that the local police would side with the devil they knew, and help them out against the devil they didn't know.  One interesting bit with the Police was that both back-up cars randomly rolled to come on the same road off which the out-of-towners were trying to escape.  And BOTH back-up Police crews failed to recognize the car as a suspect car, and sped right past it into town, allowing it to escape.

With the addition of the Police, it becomes 3 different factions, each with their own goals.  I now plan to run this game at our HMGS-Great Lakes Advance the Colors game convention in Springfield OH, USA this October.  It was interesting and fun!

Offline BaronVonJ

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Quality gaming, every Thursday night...
    • the Baron's Blog
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2022, 08:54:51 PM »
Awesome! Wish I could make that con.

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2022, 09:43:38 PM »
It was indeed a blast to play in the scenario. I had a lot of fun, especially turning the tables on Capn Jim after he fired the first shot! I took out, what? Three guys in quick succession? Then the worm (and Ted) began to turn on me. There was a bit of negotiation/whining about who Ted should attack by the criminals. That was part of the fun and storytelling, though.  lol

In the end, I would estimate the police fired about 3/4's of their attacks against the out-of-towners (me). So, I feel it was a definite win to move into a town with the locals set up in ambush positions and get away with our rescued prisoner.

Hopefully, later tonight I will post some of my own pictures. For those in the Midwest of the United States, I highly recommend Advance the Colors (Oct. 7-8, 2022). We have some amazing games scheduled, including Capn Jim's two events and Ted's mega-sized Napoleonics clash. Here's the link:
https://www.hmgsgl.org/advance-the-colors

Mike Demana