Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:59:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686596
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: CapnJim's Pulp Stuff (2nd Matewan Convention Game AAR - Pg 15...08 Nov 23)  (Read 30119 times)

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
Nice collection. Who are the gangsters by?

Thanks.  The vast majority of my gangsters are from Brigade Games, here in the states.
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
I'm now painting up some Warlord Bolt Action 28mm "British LDV Section" and "Defenders of the Realm" figures.   I'm doing them up to use with my 20s-30s US gangster wars collection.  I did a few conversions, and I hope to have them finished, photographed, and posted here before I leave on vacation March 14.  Stay tuned...

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
And here they are!

The first 2 pics show figures from the Warlord Bolt Action Defenders of the Realm pack.  I added a cigar to the dapper fellow.  I wonder what he is reaching for under his coat....and I really like the Boy Scout...

The next 2 pics show figures from Warlord's Bolt Action LDV Section pack.  3 of these chaps hold blunt instruments.  The pack came with several figures with no right hand, and several separate right hands with various improvised weapons.  As you can see, these guys got a club, a crowbar, and a sledge hammer.  The 4th chap will be an Officer for my Marines/National Guardsmen...

The 3rd 2 pics show guys with guns, again all from that LDV pack.  The 2 dudes with the side-by-side shotguns came that way.  The guy with the Winchester 1897 riot gun was one of the guys with no right hand, so I gave him one from a Warlord plastic American GIs sprue.  That hand just happened to have the shotgun molded with it...same for the smartly-dressed chap with the pipe.  He got a right hand with a .45 from that same sprue.

The last 2 pics show the whole bunch together...   

Hope all y'all like them...   

Next up, likely in April after I get back from Florida, should be Empress Miniatures' Brummie Mafia figures, which I will use for my US gangster stuff...

Offline Johnny Boy

• Scientist
  • The Older I get the better I was.. . . .
Clever use of the Warlord LDV pack Cap'n. I briefly dipped my toe into the Chicago Way which I'll revisit with a mind to completing it. . . .

Online Cat

• Mastermind
  • All Purpose Neko-Sensei
    • Goblinhall
A great menacing looking lot!

Hmm, that LDV section has a lot of good figures for a 'neighborhood watch' gang for Mean Streets...

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
Clever use of the Warlord LDV pack Cap'n. I briefly dipped my toe into the Chicago Way which I'll revisit with a mind to completing it. . . .

Thanks, Johnny Boy.  There is a lot of stuff out there to use for that genre...

A great menacing looking lot!

Hmm, that LDV section has a lot of good figures for a 'neighborhood watch' gang for Mean Streets...

Thanks, Cat.  And you could easily do that.  That pack has 6 of the 10 figures with no right hand, and enough right hands with "improvised weapons" to make a good gang...the other 4 have (as you can see) a couple double-barrel shotguns and that Officer-type.  There's also a guy with a tin hat and a bolt-action rifle (trim the magazine off, and it could pass for an M1903....

Online Cat

• Mastermind
  • All Purpose Neko-Sensei
    • Goblinhall
Those shotgunners could easily be carved into 2x4s as well.  Handy for lesser thugs in the gangsters ranks too.

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
...Handy for lesser thugs in the gangsters ranks too.

Yep.  That's my plan.  That gives me 7 or 8 guys who'll forget to bring a gun to a gunfight.... ;)

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike

Wow...you are correct, sir! I missed those when sourcing figures.

Mike Demana

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
Wow...you are correct, sir! I missed those when sourcing figures.

Mike Demana

Glad I could help, Mike!   :D

Sorry about my recent lack of posts.  2 weeks in Florida kinda got in the way...

But now, another AAR.  I ran my "Gangsters Try to Rob a US Mail Truck" scenario, using Fistful or Lead rules, at DayCon last Saturday (the 1st).  DayCon is a small gaming convention held in Kettering, OH (a suburb of Dayton, OH).

I had 4 players, one of whom was a Wiley Games Rangerider...he played on the US Mail truck side...and away we go...

It was 1926.  The Gunny sat in the back of the US Mail truck, bumping along on the rural dirt road with his 4 Marine riflemen.  A Postal Inspector rode shotgun in the front of the truck.  Mail robberies had gone up recently, so the Commandant deployed US Marines again to guard the mail.  The Gunny figured the gangsters hadn't learned their lesson back in '21.  The Gunny had seen action in the war and in Nicaragua, and had guarded the mail in '21.  He knew his business...

Just then, the Postal Inspector hollered from the front of the truck "Looks like we have company.  One of those fancy foreign cars is coming up the road toward us."  Gunny responded "Okay".  And them he said to his Marines "Load up, boys.  Be on your toes".

Down in that car, the Gang Boss said to his driver "There it is. get up to that intersection.  We'll stop 'em there".  His driver tried, but the Mail truck turned off on the side road just before they could cut it off.  "Stop!" said the Boss.  "I'll get out here, and run through these woods to try to cut 'em off.  Vinnie and his boys should be coming up that road.  We'll box 'em in".  "Why you gonna do that?  That don't make no sense."" asked the driver.  "Just shut up and do what you're told, responded the Gang Boss, holding his .45 in one hand and his pipe in the other.  "After I get out, follow 'em and get in behind them.  Maybe Vinnie can cut 'em off.""  The driver stopped at the intersection, and the Gang Boss got out and headed east through the woods.   

The Gunny watched from the back of the truck as that black car turned in behind them.  Then, just as he figured, the gig was up.  A guy leaned out the front passenger window of the car, aiming a Tommy Gun at them.  Then, nothing....  Gunny could see that gangster fiddle with the drum magazine on his Tommy Gun as he leaned back inside the car.  "Dumbass", thought the Gunny.  "You gotta make sure that magazine is fully seated to use it".  Then the Gunny said, in his Gunny voice, "That's all I need.  Open fire, boys".  And his Marines did.  Holes appeared in the windshield of the black foreign car.  Gunny could see the guy with the Tommy Gun slump in his seat, and he thought the driver got hit too.

In the woods, maybe a couple dozen yards away, the Gang Boss heard the distinctive crack of .30-'06 rounds being fired.  "Shit' he said out loud.  "That's gotta be Marines.  I shoulda stayed in the car".  He picked up his pace.

Gunny could feel the truck slow down to take a curve.  Just then, the Postal inspector yelled back "More trouble.  They got the road blocked.  A Green ford, and there's a guy with a shotgun".  Just then, Gunny heard what he knew to be shotgun blasts.  He also heard the report of the Postal inspector's .45 Smith & Wesson.  He could feel the truck make a hard turn to the right.  More gunfire.  Then he heard the Postal Inspector tell their drive "Gun it!  Ram the sonsabitches!".  "Brace, boys" ordered Gunny.  Then they felt the impact as their truck hit the Ford.

The Gang Boss came out of the woods near his car, and saw Rocco slumped dead in his seat, a hole in his head.  Or what was left of it, anyway.  Lorenzo was standing next to the car dazed and bleeding from a shoulder wound.

After the collision, the truck driver kept driving, even though Gunny could sense the truck had been damaged in the collision.  Once they gat past the wrecked Ford, he could see the driver's side had been crunched in.  He also could see guys getting out of the car.  Now there were 3 gangsters near the crumpled up Ford.  One had a Tommy Gun.  "Keep firing, boys."

Over at the black car, the Gang Boss told Tommy to get after the truck.  The Gang Boss got in the car and restarted it.

Then Gunny could see the gangster near the wrecked Ford level his .45 and fire at the truck.  He could hear the tires blow it, and the truck came to a jerky halt.  "That's it, boys.  Dismount and get to work!"  he and his men did just that.  So did the Postal Inspector.  After a brief firefight, his men had dropped all 3 gangsters near the Ford.  "Follow me, boys!" yelled Gunny, as he headed back toward that fancy black foreign car.

The Gang Boss had a decision to make.  He could back the hell on outta there, or he could try to plow through those damned marines and get away that way.  Just then, he saw Lorenzo go down, another victim of .30-'06 fire.  Now he was pissed.   He made his decision.   He gunned his car, and headed straight for the Marines coming toward him.  2 got out of the way, but he clipped one of them.  Then he heard the rifles fire.  Window glass shattered around him.  Then he felt the sting in his back.  His last thought, just before his car slammed into the green Ford and things faded to black, was "I shoulda listened to Ma...In Nomine Patris...".

It was over then.  The Gunny went over to Williams and said "You okay?"  Williams limped up and told him "Yeah, Gunny, I'm fine.  The bastard caught my leg as I tried to get out of the way."  Gunny said "Good", and then "Okay boys, check the bodies.  See if any of these sumbitches are still alive".  Then he said to the Postal Inspector "My boys will secure the truck and its mail.  Let's you and me go up to that house, and see if they have a telephone..."

And that was that.  6 gangsters down, and only 1 injured Marine.  And 3 wrecked vehicles.  But the mail was safe and secure.

This was the 4th time running this game, using 2 different rule sets.  The Marines are 4-0.  And this was, by far, the worst showing for the gangsters.  Each time, I think it's the quality of the Marines that win out in the end.  That, and the gangsters have yet to really take advantage of their short-range advantage in firepower (with their 2 Tommy Guns).

I plan to run this scenario twice at Drums At The Rapids May 20 at Fort Meigs in Perrysburg, OH (a suburb of Toledo, OH).  The challenge now is to see if the gangsters can pull off a win.  We'll see...

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Will read more later but what the heck is a Wiley Games Rangerider?  A play tester maybe?  Promotional sales person?  Someone who arrives at the convention on horseback?!  lol

Offline BaronVonJ

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Quality gaming, every Thursday night...
    • the Baron's Blog
but what the heck is a Wiley Games Rangerider?
I believe Jim means one of our Road Warriors. We can't be at every convention, so people who run multiple Wiley games at wargames conventions can get our special Road Warrior packages. You get giveaway promotional stuff and coupons to hand out.

Jim, you can always add more gangsters.

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
Man...remind me to pick the Marines' side if I play this game at Drums next month...!  lol

Great pics, Jim. Sounds like the usual, enjoyable mayhem and slaughter! Hope you enjoyed your vacation in Florida. I had a good time in Vienna and Slovakia. So, back to work for both of us, eh? Well, except you're retired... :D

Mike Demana

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
I believe Jim means one of our Road Warriors...

Jim, you can always add more gangsters.

Thanks, Jaye.  That's indeed what I meant.

And that is a possibility.  I'll see how Drums at the rapids goes, and go from there...

Speaking of which:

Man...remind me to pick the Marines' side if I play this game at Drums next month...!  lol

Great pics, Jim. Sounds like the usual, enjoyable mayhem and slaughter! Hope you enjoyed your vacation in Florida. I had a good time in Vienna and Slovakia. So, back to work for both of us, eh? Well, except you're retired... :D

Mike Demana

Hope you do indeed play, Mike.  Looking forward to seeing you and Jenny at Drums, and hearing about Vienna and Slovakia.