Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:43:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690719
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 839
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Tips on how to paint in the Footsore Miniatures style?  (Read 1561 times)

Offline FriendlyNeighbourhoodNerd

• Bookworm
Tips on how to paint in the Footsore Miniatures style?
« on: August 28, 2023, 11:35:16 PM »
Hi everyone,

Title says it all. I want to emulate the style of painting used on the models on display on Footsore Miniatures' website. It's weathered, muddy or dusty and scratched, but not too much, the colours are vivid, the highlights and shadows are painterly without looking too harsh or rough, I just love it. I want to paint my own models in this sort of style.

I also really really like the basing on their models, I find it always looks great (although I can imagine it's harder to tell what they're using just by looking at it).

For example, on these models here (https://footsoreminiatures.co.uk/collections/barons-war-range/products/william-marshal) the mud and dirt on the bottom of the horse caparison and the surcoat, the scratched up shield, the slightly dull but still metallic-looking helmet, the vivid green and yellow, they're just gorgeous in my opinion.

Or, on these ones (https://footsoreminiatures.co.uk/collections/barons-war-range/products/foot-knight-command-2) the subtle gradients and weathering on the helmets, the basing with the tiny leaves and everything, I may be coming off as a bit excessive but I find it extremely inspirational.

They just pull off a sort of realistic, weathered look, combined with a painterly, rough sort of vibe and it is just perfect, in my opinion at least.

If anyone could provide some pointers on how to paint in this sort of style, I would greatly appreciate it. Techniques, materials, specific paints, anything.

If anyone could provide some pointers on how to paint in this sort of style, I would greatly appreciate it. Techniques, materials, specific paints, anything. anyone could provide some pointers on how to paint in this sort of style, I would greatly appreciate it. Techniques, materials, specific paints, anything.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. In case anyone knows who paints the models for them, please share so I can follow more of their work.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2023, 11:36:52 PM by FriendlyNeighbourhoodNerd »

Offline Ragnar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Re: Tips on how to paint in the Footsore Miniatures style?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2023, 11:50:40 AM »
I can't claim to paint as well as whoever painted the Footsore minis but I tend to paint the figures, highlighting and then ruining it all by drybrushing brown at the edges of the clothing, working up the figure until satisfied.  It really is something that improves with experimentaion.  Chipping/fading at the edges of solid objects works, I learnt from the tank modelling crowd.  Slashes and other battle damage looks great on shields.

Not sure I am helping here but honestly, it's a matter of looking at other people's work and practicing that gets you there.
Gods, monsters and men,
Will die together in the end.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2023, 01:28:46 PM »
By looking at the paintjobs, I reckon the green and yellow knight type was painted cleanly at first, and the weathering and mud was painted on top of this paintjob.

So paint your mini in the paintscheme of your choice, perhaps a tad brigher than you'd normally would, and then add the weathering. Also looks like the painted went the Non Metallic Metal route, so you'd have to add that too. I like NMM, but it's usually only effective from a certain angle. Look at it from another angel, and the effect is, at best, less effective. But it can challenge one as a painter.

The weathering appears to have been sponged on, and maybe even splattered here and there.simply start with a lighter mud colour and sponge/splatter away. Then add a second layer with a darker colour to the lower hapf of the weathered surface and parhaps add a 3rd, even darker colour over that, again on the lower hapf of the previous colour.

The helmet in your second picture also requires NMM, but here some damage was added. Simply add a dark line where you want a cut/dent to be and highlight the lower edge of the dark line with a brighter paint to highlight where the light would fall on the edge of the cut.

That's it, really. It might seem daunting at first, but all you need to do is practice, because in the end it's not all that difficult :)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline westwaller

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2023, 02:18:32 PM »
It has just occurred to me to look in the Barons War rule book and the painters are : Daniel Wegmann (HVM workbench) Darren Linington (this was my guess for the second image I know he has done other stuff for Footsore - think that he might have done some of their Normans) Jez Allum and Ben MacIntyre (Brush Demon)

Offline FriendlyNeighbourhoodNerd

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2023, 03:31:34 PM »
Thanks a lot to everyone! I have done weathering before, sponge chipping, dust, the whole nine yards, on armour models as well as on a Space Marine character once and I think they came out pretty good, not sure what intimidates me about applying these techniques on miniatures like this? But I will give it a try.

westwaller, I never would've thought to do that, thanks a lot! Time to get even more inspired :D

In conclusion, it seems that I will have to practice quite a bit, especially on my highlights and getting these vivid, bright tones, before achieving results like this :P but that is to be expected of course.

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2023, 10:11:18 PM »
Thanks a lot to everyone! I have done weathering before, sponge chipping, dust, the whole nine yards, on armour models as well as on a Space Marine character once and I think they came out pretty good, not sure what intimidates me about applying these techniques on miniatures like this? But I will give it a try.
Maybe because it is cloth and therefore a different a different base on which you are weathering? I think that since you have experience weathering armour, once you start trying similar techniques on the robes and caparison your experience will show you how to adjust for cloth.