Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 08:52:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689499
  • Total Topics: 118281
  • Online Today: 572
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Strength and Honour at Joy of Six  (Read 2640 times)

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
Re: Strength and Honour at Joy of Six
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2022, 03:09:32 PM »
I heard your interview on the Ancient History Podcast, they peppered you with some tough questions! Good work holding the line and getting across your intent with the rules. 

That said, have you ever though of producing Cards for armies similar to Sam Mustafa's Blucher sets? 
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline MGH

• Scientist
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2022, 03:31:39 PM »
The town is fabulous and the 6mm armies beautifully painted. Very impressive. I have to concur with a few other posters though 2mm does nothing for me. I might as well play a board game.

Good luck with the rules set - Bedriacum and Sertorian scenarios sound cool.  Looking forward to an AAR using your rules.

Offline Mark Backhouse

• Librarian
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2022, 03:56:40 PM »
Thanks Easy E,
Actually we do have some cards for the units in the game like you got with Blucher. These were available free with the pre-order of the rules but I’m afraid you need to purchase them now for a small sum from the TooFatLardies web store.

I’m pleased you enjoyed the Ancient Warfare podcast. It was quite a tricky one to do because the audience were not necessarily wargamers. Good the message came across clearly.

MGH - I have to agree with you about the town. It’s stunning. The 2mm doesn’t work for everyone. For others it is a breath of fresh air. Do what works for you!
The rules are doing well thanks. I won’t be buying a yacht quite yet, but it’s selling well and the feedback has been very positive. Thanks for your kind words. 😊

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2022, 06:45:00 PM »
Sweet!  I will look into picking it up with the cards too!  Thanks.

Offline ithoriel

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2022, 04:25:15 PM »
Bit late to the party here, only just joined LAF, having been a guest lurker for quite a while.

I was 50% of the Vespasianic command, in the morning at Joy of  Six, on Mark's 2mm Strength and Honour version of Bedriacum (69AD). Despite inflicting more set backs and the game's only disaster on our opponents we just couldn't break the Vitellians. So, we lost. :-(

I've now played four two-player a side games of S&H and have lost all four! And I've had a whale of a time in all four and enjoyed them thoroughly, which must say something good about the rules!

Given I won my only single player a side game hands down I think I can safely blame my co-commanders for my abysmal die rolling and foolish tactical choices when playing multiplayer! :-D

On the subject of 2mm and the painting thereof, it's easy. You are aiming for the main colours that would be visible at distance not detailed painting. I've described the paint jobs I do as somewhere between Impressionism and Pointillism! Think Turner's Fighting Temeraire not Da Vinci's Last Supper.

My 2mm forces are growing slowly and my 2mm terrain has been a delight to devise and execute .... hence the armies not growing as quickly as intended!

So far, in various stages of completeness, I have a Romanised town (the little known town of Nunquam) , a Gallic walled village, a forest (made from a chunk of bath mat!), a wood (ditto), a large and small Roman marching camp, a port (Portus Nunquam), a Mansio/ Fortlet/ Stables group and a farm.   All of which could fit comfortably on my 6x 4 table. Not something I could do in 28mm :-)

So, thanks Mark for both the rules and the chance to play them with you as umpire.

“Since they do not wish to eat, let them drink!” - Appius Claudius Pulcher
There are 100 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data.