Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:07:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686585
  • Total Topics: 118108
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Anyone watching Resident Evil on Netflix?  (Read 1724 times)

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
Anyone watching Resident Evil on Netflix?
« on: July 20, 2022, 11:05:53 AM »
I have started watching "Resident Evil" Netflix series mainly for ideas for games.  I have reached Episode 4.  A lot of the "action" seems to occur in locations so dark that I cannot see what, if anything, is going on.  It is a bit like watching a radio programme.
Subtitles help a bit. 
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.'
-- Xenophon, The Anabasis

Offline Fred Mills

• Bookworm
Re: Anyone watching Resident Evil on Netflix?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2022, 01:40:16 PM »
I had a three-day weekend so I binged the whole thing. Later episodes present some neat options, including (without giving anything away, I hope!!) a fortified outpost, naval and air-to-ground, larger (ahem) enemies, and various weapons types versus swarms.

The RE movies and shows have been wildly uneven, but I quite liked the series, which gets wackier as it progresses. Like, REALLY wacky.

Have fun!!

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2022, 01:48:07 PM »
It's been on my to-watch list for a while, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Good to know about the darkness of the footage; this'll be one to watch alone, during the night then...  :D
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2022, 02:37:46 PM »
I like the monsters and some of the apoc scenes, but I think story wise its a bit meh.

Its too typical of Netflix; it really spends too much time on pretty dull character development and it makes the show feel very uneven. Almost like you're watching two programmes rammed into one.

The flashbacks are quite cool and have some solid music and acting (mostly by Lance Reddick) but it sometimes delves into Teen-drama territory.

Then the "current day" scenes have some interesting monsters but the acting/music is like something off a Sy-fy show.

We basically got another "Parent goes on futile mission to balance saving the world AND making it on time to her daughters piano recital". Like Pleeeeease, enough of this. Lets go back to genetic mutant who does back flips while simultaneously shooting stuff in the face and has about as much depth as a puddle.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2022, 08:01:01 PM »
I just finished this up after reading this thread. Knowing nothing (or at least very little) about the Resident Evil universe, I enjoyed it. I suppose some things may have been more meaningful if I understood more of the lore, but I at least felt like I understood what was going on.

I didn't really understand the monsters, so maybe that was something I would have followed better if I had played the video games? A virus that turns people into zombies, but it turns bugs and alligators into hulking kaiju... but not dogs. Dogs get to be zombies too. I guess a zombie dog just stays a zombie human's best friend.

I also didn't understand why the pheromone discovery was such a big deal. I mean, the scientist lady clearly knew how to spray some stuff on herself to mask her scent and have the zombies ignore her right at the beginning of the series. She was so confident in the zombie-off spray that she was just sitting in an open building with no real precautions. Finding a different spray hardly seemed like a game changer. And as for attracting zombies, didn't blood already do that? Again, this hardly seemed like a world-changing discovery.

I really liked the corporate sleazeball character. I thought he had far more interest as a person than most of the other main characters, and I loved Lance Reddick in all his roles. The twins, in all their youthful angst and 20-something angst, were rather boring for me.

If they do another season, I'll probably watch it. As much as I can see the flaws, I generally have a low bar where entertainment is concerned and this passed muster for me.

Offline Redmao

• Scientist
  • Canadian Agent
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2022, 10:47:23 AM »
I enjoyed it. I would have preferred a show about the actual RE protagonists, but I understand that doing it like that gives them the liberty to do pretty much anything they want. They did the same with the Alice character for the movies.
They're doing a show that is happening after the fun stuff happened. They did the same thing with the Punisher series. The interesting part was his war against the mafia and the show happened after that...

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2022, 05:32:09 PM »
I suppose that if you focus on tangential characters and stories after the accepted cannon, you don't have to worry about contradictions or ruffling people's feathers. It is harder to do a prequel than a sequel as you have to ensure that all of the "before" stuff eventually agrees with the "then" stuff. I can appreciate how sequels only have to conform at the start and can bend in whatever direction they want to go, even if it veers into less exciting territory.

With such a horror/action franchise, I do wonder why they bothered trying to incorporate all the complicated (and shallow) emotional stuff. It seems they would have had far better luck with more zombies and sassy one-liner dialogue.

Offline The Great Mahoo

• Bookworm
    • Adventures on the Tabletop
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2022, 12:44:21 AM »
I watched it, had some high hopes, but it was not really all it could have been.  Too much cutting back and forth in my opinion.  Worth a watch, I suppose.

Offline ced1106

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2022, 01:10:27 AM »
I just finished this up after reading this thread. Knowing nothing (or at least very little) about the Resident Evil universe, I enjoyed it. I suppose some things may have been more meaningful if I understood more of the lore, but I at least felt like I understood what was going on.

fwiw, Humble Bundle has a RE games bundle. Haven't played the games, so I'll let others recommend which tier to buy.
https://www.humblebundle.com/games/resident-evil-decades-horror?hmb_source=&hmb_medium=product_tile&hmb_campaign=mosaic_section_1_layout_index_1_layout_type_threes_tile_index_1_c_residentevildecadeshorror_bundle

« Last Edit: August 14, 2022, 01:57:51 AM by ced1106 »
Crimson Scales with Wildspire Miniatures thread on Reaper!
https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/103935-wildspire-miniatures-thread/

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2022, 06:03:11 PM »
I really hate when they do too many flash-backs, so I’m going in with some trepidation.  That said, I’ll give it a shot, even though I haven’t been impressed by much of what has been produced for tv and theater in the last few years.  Weak teas, as they used to say on Firefly.

Also, too much preaching or propaganda lately.  I go to movies and shows to get away from that stuff, as my escape.  So I hope that’s not the case with this one.  Fingers crossed.

Dan