Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:55:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686609
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 7
Guests: 464
Total: 471

Recent

Author Topic: Lord of the Rings in 1/72 scale. Rangers of Gondor.  (Read 29157 times)

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
Re: Lord of the Rings in 1/72 scale
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2022, 07:39:26 PM »
The only real negative I've found with 1/72 is that it seems to be a small subset of us into this scale (a niche within a niche) that trying to sell anything on the aftermarket is almost impossible. It may be that the models are so cheap to buy new it's not worth selling used. Or even that the market for painted minis has dropped in recent years. Either way, I had some 1/72 up on the 'Bay for a few months and they collected so few views and practically no watchers.

I fear when I do decide to get out of minis, anything 1/72 will probably just get tossed in the waste bin....
« Last Edit: July 31, 2022, 08:00:41 PM by Jack Hooligan »

Offline blacksmith

• Mad Scientist
    • Javier at war
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2022, 07:48:45 PM »
The only real negative I've found with 1/72 is that it seems to be a small subset of us into this scale (a niche within a niche) that trying to sell anything on the aftermarket is almost impossible. It may be that the models are so cheap to buy new it's not worth selling used. Or even that the market for painted minis has dropped in recent years. Either way, I had some 1/72 up on the 'Bay for a few months and they collected so few views and practically no watchers.

I fear when I do decide to get out of minis, anything 1/72 will probably just get toss in the waste bin....
My exact feelings. Actually, I'm pretty much sure about that. I've tried to sell some painted 1/72 in the past without success but I don't care. In fact, I'm seeling all my 28 and 10mm stuff and sticking to 1/72 plastics.

Offline MysteryMachine

• Bookworm
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2022, 08:02:09 PM »
I know what you m) ean. I'd love to see some sort of 'sprue exhange' mechanism (the boxes tend to come with about twicw as many figures as I need). I have bought the odd additional sprue of Dark Alliance minis from ebay (so I didn't need to pick up a whole box of centaurs or Anubians), but it's probably not making the seller much money.

I am sure I will have spare sprues left over from boxes, and will probably try to find a good source to donate them too ('Here, kid, have a crack at painting these'). Maybe it will spread the word re the good things about the scale?

Offline MysteryMachine

• Bookworm
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2022, 08:07:20 PM »
I have just twigged that you're talking about selling painted minis. Apologies! Well, at least 1:72s don't take up too much space, and they are pretty versatile,
being so generic. I'd hang on to them. Someone will love them someday. Grandkids?

Also, I appreciate Jack's comment re the advantages re 'scavenger hunt'/collector's syndrome/gotta' catch them all for 1.:72 / 20mm (as there is less of the scale around for anything other than WW2). Having less out there does provide some kind of limit to purchases (although the historical stuff doesn't help!)

Offline blacksmith

• Mad Scientist
    • Javier at war
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2022, 08:10:42 PM »
I know what you m) ean. I'd love to see some sort of 'sprue exhange' mechanism (the boxes tend to come with about twicw as many figures as I need). I have bought the odd additional sprue of Dark Alliance minis from ebay (so I didn't need to pick up a whole box of centaurs or Anubians), but it's probably not making the seller much money.

I am sure I will have spare sprues left over from boxes, and will probably try to find a good source to donate them too ('Here, kid, have a crack at painting these'). Maybe it will spread the word re the good things about the scale?
It's a good idea, it could work. Anyway, I recommend you to visit the forum Benno's miniatures as it is all about 1/72 and exchange some sprues with other members there: http://bennosfiguresforum.com/viewforum.php?f=172

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2022, 08:14:59 PM »
I'm also curious what the long term impact of the invasion of Ukraine is going to wreck on 1/72. Near as I can tell, the Ukraine was the source of a lot of 1/72 companies not just RedBox/Dark Alliance.

Will these boxes increase in value? Will there be even less available at this scale in the future making the scale even less attractive? It's kinda lame to think of hobbying in relation to this needless conflict, but it is relevant to this forum and thread.

Offline MysteryMachine

• Bookworm
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2022, 08:19:30 PM »
Thanks, Blacksmith. By the way, I have to say that I love your stuff, particularly the use of Zvezda vikings as Rohirrim on foot. Fantastic painting!

There is some amazing stuff out there on Benno's, or from folks who've linked to it. There is a gentleman called Philotep (I think he's French) who has done Old World-style Empire, Orc and Undead warbands (if not quire full armies) in 1/72, which completely blows my mind: https://philotepsfigures.blogspot.com/search/label/Empire

Offline MysteryMachine

• Bookworm
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2022, 08:26:17 PM »
Hopefully Red Box / Dark Alliance will do fine. I think availability of Zvezda and similar Russian Federation located manufacturers may become more scarce...
(I'm based in the UK). I used to buy the odd bit of 1/72 resin material from sellers in Russia (pre-war), so it seems a shame for them, but them's the breaks.

Boo to Putin!

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2022, 10:38:03 PM »
I can see why you're referring to the Ukraine situation regarding availability of products, etc. but don't let this slip into any form of political commentary please. Thank you.

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2022, 12:10:31 AM »
There is some amazing stuff out there on Benno's, or from folks who've linked to it. There is a gentleman called Philotep (I think he's French) who has done Old World-style Empire, Orc and Undead warbands (if not quire full armies) in 1/72, which completely blows my mind: https://philotepsfigures.blogspot.com/search/label/Empire

Indeed. His work is incredible. I always forget the url though, so I'm glad you reposted it.

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2022, 01:03:22 PM »
@blacksmith - I know you mentioned selling off other scales for 1/72, but I’m curious why you’ve gone 1/72 in the first place for LotR. The Citadel line is far more robust with some great sculpts as well. What put you off that for this project?

Offline blacksmith

• Mad Scientist
    • Javier at war
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2022, 07:57:10 PM »
I'm also curious what the long term impact of the invasion of Ukraine is going to wreck on 1/72. Near as I can tell, the Ukraine was the source of a lot of 1/72 companies not just RedBox/Dark Alliance.

Will these boxes increase in value? Will there be even less available at this scale in the future making the scale even less attractive? It's kinda lame to think of hobbying in relation to this needless conflict, but it is relevant to this forum and thread.
There's been a lot of discussion on Benno's forum about this and it seems it's going to be a great shortage.

Offline blacksmith

• Mad Scientist
    • Javier at war
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2022, 08:00:37 PM »
Thanks, Blacksmith. By the way, I have to say that I love your stuff, particularly the use of Zvezda vikings as Rohirrim on foot. Fantastic painting!

You're welcome and thanks for your kind comment. Yes, I know Philotep's work as I follow his blog and also because he posts them all on Benno's. He is really good.

Offline blacksmith

• Mad Scientist
    • Javier at war
« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2022, 08:23:10 PM »
@blacksmith - I know you mentioned selling off other scales for 1/72, but I’m curious why you’ve gone 1/72 in the first place for LotR. The Citadel line is far more robust with some great sculpts as well. What put you off that for this project?
For many reasons:
Dark Alliance LOTR range is quite good.
Figures are very cheap.
Space is an issue in my case so 20mm is better than 28mm.
They are also easier and faster to paint and store than 28mm.
Terrain is also easier to get and store; so now I have a whole village, forests, hills, rivers, walls, hedges, etc. all stored in a few shoe boxes.
As I play mostly solo I have to bring both sides on the table, so I am not scale dependant to play with other people and I can do it all in 1/72 as I'll be the only one providing the miniatures.
I did all this once but with 10mm and I got almost 500 single miniatures painted, but then I sold them all. They were too small for RPG or skirmishes, so 1/72 is something between 28mm and 10mm, the perfect size as it can be used for skirmish and battles alike.
Here you have some examples in 10mm:

« Last Edit: August 01, 2022, 08:31:36 PM by blacksmith »

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2022, 01:06:58 PM »
Fantastic photos. Sorry to hear the scale ultimately didn't work out for you after all that nice work. And are those a Warmaster dragon ogre and giant I see?

This thread has me seriously considering that Zvezda Viking set. I've got the Zvezda Hundred Years War boxes for England and France, but these vikings look perfect for a fantasy human Dragon Rampant warband. Also, I think these HYW 1/72 minis are actually a little bigger than standard so they're larger than some of my Dark Alliance models. According to PSR, these vikings are smaller than the HYW and probably closer to scale with my Dark Alliance.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2022, 01:11:46 PM by Jack Hooligan »