Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:45:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686584
  • Total Topics: 118108
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Lord of the Rings in 1/72 scale. Rangers of Gondor.  (Read 29151 times)

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
Re: Lord of the Rings in 1/72 scale
« Reply #60 on: August 03, 2022, 07:49:47 PM »
@blacksmith- Interesting that you find 1/72 best for fantasy and 15mm for sci-fi. I'm doing both fantasy and sci-fi in 1/72....well maybe not true sci-fi, but post apocalypse.
I've got a thread on this mess over in the post-apocalypse forum.

Offline MysteryMachine

• Bookworm
« Reply #61 on: August 03, 2022, 07:50:31 PM »
Hi Blacksmith - they definitely fit with 20mm / 1:72.

You can see them (measured) here: https://72-multiverse.blogspot.com/search?q=goblins

See the 2 pictures immediately below the text:

"Alternative Armies makes some Lesser Goblins (KC1) that are suitable as goblins. To me they seem rather influenced by the appearance of GW goblins."

They are a bit shorter than Caesar platic goblins, or Dark Alliance Goblins, but the head sizes fit well with the Splintered Light goblins (if you are happy to have Kev Adams-style grinning/leering gobbo's, which I am).

Sadly, like the SL miniatures, because they've been (in my view) retrospectively classed as 28mm, they cost more :(

If you're keen for some slightly cheaper ones, I do recommend these: https://cpmodels.co.uk/shop/tqd-fs10-greater-goblin-warriors/
(although the axe/spear optional weapon combo did require quite a lot of filing - I wouldn't buy more than one set of them. They do fit very nicely with Dark Alliance orcs. I will share pictures once I get over my camera shyness!).

Offline MysteryMachine

• Bookworm
« Reply #62 on: August 03, 2022, 07:57:03 PM »
Jack, that 20mm post-apocalypse stuff is awesome, and reminds me of when I saw and admired the original (Perry twins?) Dark Future 20mm sculpts 30 plus years ago.

My challenge is that I'm looking to do 5 Parsecs from Home, and I think that requires more flexibility (in terms of minis) than 20mm can manage. Also, vehicles aren't a major thing (apart from scenery). Whereas SF buildings in 15mm can be bought and/or get quite creative, without taking up crazy amounts of (very limited) space.

Finally, with SF (ranged ) combat, I've never quite got over the stage where someone pointed out quite how short the suggested ranges for 40k weapons were, given it was supposed to be the future. At least smaller scales make one's riflemen feel slightly less ridiculous when they're taking pot-shots at each other!

Offline MysteryMachine

• Bookworm
« Reply #63 on: August 03, 2022, 08:03:11 PM »
Just to be clear, I'd paint forces / join you any time on your 20mm table if I had the opportunity. It looks like Gaslands (or other systems) heaven! I remember fiddling about with Car Wars paper counters (a bunch of whom seemed to feature flared trousers) and it never had quite the same effect!

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #64 on: August 03, 2022, 08:04:00 PM »
For folks in the UK, you can find them here: https://thelittlecorporal.co.uk/28mm-hedgerows-and-heroes-46-c.asp
I was never a fan of Bob Olley's sculpting when he used to do figures for GW back in the late 80s / early 90s, but I love these.

Good to know those are available here - thanks!

Every so often, I'm tempted to use Bob Olley's Essex orcs as particularly hideous ogres in 1/72. They're great miniatures with huge, fairy-taleish heads. What puts me off is the fact that the leader has a huge severed head (big even for 28mm!) in one hand. But I have a spare of him that I might convert ...

His bugbears and satyrs are also good, if a little short ('for a stormtrooper'!). The bugbears (now available at CP Models) will make awesome (regular-sized) savage goblinoids (orcs).

Yes, the bugbears are great - very large orcs or rather short bugbears in 20mm, as you say. Like all that Olley Splintered Light range, they were apparently sculpted as 15mm but turned out a bit overscaled.

I'm planning to use the satyrs (Splintered Light) as missile support for larger beastmen. NB, does anyone have any good suggestions for goatmen in 20mm / 1:72? I can find lots of minotaurs, and the odd boarman (Ral Parth Europe Demonworld giant beastman), but 1:72 scale goatmen seem tricky. The Magister Militum ones look a bit too small.

Yes, they are, alas. One option is the hard-plastic faun sprue from RDG Gaming/Wargames Atlantic. They're very delicately proportioned, though tall, and fit in well with 1/72 (as spindly creatures of the wild - like the Slavonic leshy, perhaps). I can post a photo of one tomorrow.

Next on the painting table re Battle Valor orcs, then some Caesar 'brute'-sized gits, then it's goblins, baby!

I'm currently trying to work out whether to base my Battle Valor orcs for HOTT or KOW. Decisions, decisions ...

Blacksmith - that sci-fi stuff looks great (as does Jack's post-apocalypse stuff)!

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
« Reply #65 on: August 03, 2022, 08:16:37 PM »
@MysteryMachine - The comment on sci-fi weapon ranges makes sense to me as does the availability of sci-fi vehicles and terrain.

Thanks (and @hobgoblin too) for the kind words!

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #66 on: August 03, 2022, 08:17:14 PM »
I have some of the Alternative Armies Coblynau Lesser Goblins (code KC1) and they’re similar size, or slightly smaller, than Dark Alliance plastic goblins. On the website it says they’re between 13 and 16mm tall, and that seems about right to me. (Going out on a limb here, but they seem like they might have been intended as not-snotlings when they were originally released…)

Offline blacksmith

• Mad Scientist
    • Javier at war
« Reply #67 on: August 03, 2022, 08:44:58 PM »
Hi Blacksmith - they definitely fit with 20mm / 1:72.

You can see them (measured) here: https://72-multiverse.blogspot.com/search?q=goblins

See the 2 pictures immediately below the text:

"Alternative Armies makes some Lesser Goblins (KC1) that are suitable as goblins. To me they seem rather influenced by the appearance of GW goblins."

They are a bit shorter than Caesar platic goblins, or Dark Alliance Goblins, but the head sizes fit well with the Splintered Light goblins (if you are happy to have Kev Adams-style grinning/leering gobbo's, which I am).

Sadly, like the SL miniatures, because they've been (in my view) retrospectively classed as 28mm, they cost more :(

If you're keen for some slightly cheaper ones, I do recommend these: https://cpmodels.co.uk/shop/tqd-fs10-greater-goblin-warriors/
(although the axe/spear optional weapon combo did require quite a lot of filing - I wouldn't buy more than one set of them. They do fit very nicely with Dark Alliance orcs. I will share pictures once I get over my camera shyness!).
There is a lot of useful information on that article, thank you very much!

Offline blacksmith

• Mad Scientist
    • Javier at war
« Reply #68 on: August 03, 2022, 08:46:40 PM »
I have some of the Alternative Armies Coblynau Lesser Goblins (code KC1) and they’re similar size, or slightly smaller, than Dark Alliance plastic goblins. On the website it says they’re between 13 and 16mm tall, and that seems about right to me. (Going out on a limb here, but they seem like they might have been intended as not-snotlings when they were originally released…)
Good to know, thank you!

Offline blacksmith

• Mad Scientist
    • Javier at war
« Reply #69 on: August 03, 2022, 08:49:13 PM »
@blacksmith- Interesting that you find 1/72 best for fantasy and 15mm for sci-fi. I'm doing both fantasy and sci-fi in 1/72....well maybe not true sci-fi, but post apocalypse.
I've got a thread on this mess over in the post-apocalypse forum.
Yes I know that thread and it has really good stuff but I can't see how 1/72 can be done for hard sci-fi at the moment

Offline blacksmith

• Mad Scientist
    • Javier at war
« Reply #70 on: August 13, 2022, 02:17:44 PM »
Some reinforcements. I painted another Troll and the rest of the Uruks.

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
« Reply #71 on: August 13, 2022, 03:13:18 PM »
Great paint job on these minis! Your Uruk-hai look just as good as the 25mm citadel ones. Love it.

Also, I prefer this set of Dark Alliance trolls over the other more armoured one. Fine choice!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 10:36:10 PM by Jack Hooligan »

Offline blacksmith

• Mad Scientist
    • Javier at war
« Reply #72 on: August 13, 2022, 03:44:27 PM »
Great paint job on these minis! Your Uruk-hai look just as good as the 25mm citadel ones. Love it.

Also, I prefer this set of Dark Alliance trolls over the other more armoires one. Fine choice!
Thanks Jack. The Uruks are quick to paint as they just need spray black paint and a few lights.
Yes, I bought these  Trolls instead of the ones clad in armour as I felt they wear too much armour for a Troll.
Cheers

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #73 on: August 14, 2022, 11:25:41 AM »
They look fantastic - great work!

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
« Reply #74 on: August 14, 2022, 11:32:32 AM »
They look superb!