Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:07:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690860
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Dragon Rampant - Summoning Question  (Read 2286 times)

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
Dragon Rampant - Summoning Question
« on: July 29, 2022, 03:42:06 PM »
I played a few games of DR last month. I love the system and am looking forward to painting up more models for both it and Lion Rampant.

However, I had a summonable unit and single model unit that was a summoner. This didn't really work out too well for me. It could be poor generalship on my part but it seems more efficient to not take Summoner and just have the units on the field from the beginning. I mean, iirc, the Summoner can't move to cast and if they fail, they haven't moved, the unit to summon doesn't appear, and the turn is over. this happened on a few occasions and put my forces in a bind. Again, it could just be poor tactics on my part, but Summoning felt like a lot of potential risk with little reward.

Am I reading the rule wrong? Has anyone been using Summoning effectively?

Offline danmer

• Librarian
Re: Dragon Rampant - Summoning Question
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2022, 06:37:01 PM »
It's risk versus opportunity. You're not guaranteed to summon the unit, but if you do, you can place it anywhere within 12" of the Summoner. And if that Summoner is well positioned, the new unit could pop up somewhere very inconvenient for your opponent.

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2022, 09:49:06 PM »
Have the summoner summon additional troops from what was in the original army list - makes more sense and is way more fun - get over playing points and fair armies... Few real battles ever had equally matched opponents.

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2022, 01:59:50 PM »
Fun idea. I’ll have to get ok with my opponent in that though. “I’m going to field 32pts, but you’re gonna field 24pts”

True real battles weren’t even, and I can appreciate lopsided games, but not everyone does.

It is a good suggestion tho and worth considering.

@Danmer - I probably need to better position my summoner so if/when he fails a cast he isn’t exposed.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2022, 06:30:07 PM »
I played a few games of DR last month. I love the system and am looking forward to painting up more models for both it and Lion Rampant.

However, I had a summonable unit and single model unit that was a summoner. This didn't really work out too well for me. It could be poor generalship on my part but it seems more efficient to not take Summoner and just have the units on the field from the beginning. I mean, iirc, the Summoner can't move to cast and if they fail, they haven't moved, the unit to summon doesn't appear, and the turn is over. this happened on a few occasions and put my forces in a bind. Again, it could just be poor tactics on my part, but Summoning felt like a lot of potential risk with little reward.

Am I reading the rule wrong? Has anyone been using Summoning effectively?

In bold is IMHO the problem with the Mersey rules. Scrap that and they become a lot more fun and less often a lottery decided by a single die roll. One unit fails to act not the entire force.

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2022, 11:15:24 PM »
I find the rule a feature, not a bug. I’m cool with it and appreciate the uncertainty it brings to each round. I just need to better work my summoner positioning probably.

Again, I’m a 30+ year Blood Bowl player and that game has a similar rule. The first time a player fails, your turn is over. I’m used to it and enjoy it.

Offline danmer

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2022, 11:25:24 PM »
In bold is IMHO the problem with the Mersey rules.

In all of my rules? Are you sure?!  ;)

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2022, 08:20:18 AM »

lol

I wonder who DanMer could be?   ???

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2022, 10:15:12 AM »

You mean you let them breed???
 :o

Offline The Bibliophile

• Scientist
    • Scrum in Miniature
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2022, 05:38:58 PM »

Dan, any chance we’re going to see a new edition or expansion to Dragon Rampant now that the second edition of Lion Rampant is almost out? Would love to see Dragon Rampant receive some more attention!
Scrum in Miniature (my gaming blog): http://miniaturescrum.blogspot.com
Scrum Con (my miniatures+RPG convention in Wash, DC): https://sites.google.com/view/scrum-con/home
Above the Fray Miniatures (my minis company): https://sites.google.com/view/abovethefrayminiatures/home

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2022, 05:45:14 PM »
I was kinda hoping the DR hit point rules would have been a player option in the LR 2nd Ed book and the fantasy elements would’ve been a chapter in the back.

Happy to buy a hardcover of DR 2nd Ed though. LR and DR are my favorite rulebooks. Absolute joy to read and reread.

Offline danmer

• Librarian
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2022, 08:38:48 PM »
Thanks for the kind comments. No plans for a new edition of Dragon Rampant at the moment.

Strength Points are an option in LR2, as are some of the other DR rules, but it's not specifically targeted at fantasy gaming.

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2022, 09:17:34 PM »
Thanks for the kind comments. No plans for a new edition of Dragon Rampant at the moment.

Strength Points are an option in LR2, as are some of the other DR rules, but it's not specifically targeted at fantasy gaming.

The inclusion of hit/strength points in LR sounds great to me (I'm also considering using them in Rebels and Patriots). The upside to DR staying a bluebook...it's very affordable to purchase as gifts.

Anyway, thanks for chiming in here Dan!

Offline jon_1066

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2022, 11:42:44 AM »
Summoning is really going to shine in some of the scenarios or when there is lots of terrain.  In a straight up battle over an open plain it won’t be much good.