Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 07:56:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Ronin - Question About Attributes  (Read 1030 times)

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
Ronin - Question About Attributes
« on: December 28, 2022, 08:53:42 PM »
I'm putting together the lists for two buntais for casual gaming (sohei and bandits). I see that several of these models can have extra attributes for extra points. Has anyone played by not adding any attributes at all and just going with the baseline stats and points? I don't know the game well enough yet to assign attributes, but even then it would be me building up the buntai attributes for both sides. For casual games, I'd rather there not be so much meta decision making by one player that the other feels disadvantage.

So, again, does the game work fine not assigning extra attributes or does the system assume these extras to hum?

Offline EnclavedMicrostate

• Librarian
Re: Ronin - Question About Attributes
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2022, 04:14:44 AM »
So, take much of what I have to say with a grain of salt: my hands-on experience with Ronin extends only to Bakumatsu games where there is minimal armour (save the odd figure whom I have allowed it to) and where my forces have generally been based on the Koryu lists plus the Soldier and Officer profiles included in that appendix. Otherwise I've only spent a little while theorycrafting based purely on the rules, in preparation for setting up a possible Ronin campaign in the future.

As a general rule, the Attributes are arguably overpriced compared to what the points calculator would suggest, but that's not without some degree of good reason: as Attributes are (with the exception of Bandits) only applied to Rank 3 and higher figures, they are specifically benefitting your big dogs, and they would arguably reap more benefits from a 3-point Attribute than a Rank 1 figure might. There is, however, one exception, which is the Weapons Jutsu. Both in my experience and from what I've read, Weapons Jutsu is essentially mandatory for any figures that can take it: getting to re-roll a die in any attack or defence action is an enormous bonus. With the exception of Koryu who are supposed to be glass cannons, I would suggest that Weapons Jutsu ought to be increased in price significantly, if you are going to have it included. Alternatively, take a cue from Craig Woodfield's later set, En Garde!, and have it be that you can re-roll 1s and 2s, but not 3s, 4s, or 5s.

Otherwise, Attribute bonuses are pretty marginal and, as noted, priced above their actual effect relative to the points calculator, and to answer your actual question, I think you could conceivably do without. Arguably, their main benefit is that you can take a few Attributes to round out your force's points value (e.g. if you have a 150pt game and your figures add up to something like 141pts without Attributes, you can take 3 and make up the difference). If you'll indulge a bit of a ramble:

• Acrobatic: Really not a huge effect but potentially useful for some scenarios with rough terrain. Not sure what points value I'd give it.
  • Fast: In the calculator, Initiative is worth 1 point per level, so with the winning draws bonus Fast is worth slightly over 1 point.
  • Inexorable: Gets you some extra mileage if you have more attacks than you needed. Not sure what points value I'd give it.
  • Intuition: +1 CP would normally be 2 points, but given that you can't pick an Attack Counter, it's effectively slightly less.
  • Powerful: +1 Fight, which is 2 points, but only on the attack, so again, effectively slightly less.
  • Tough: Hard to value, but being able to ignore Light wounds and fight past a Critical isn't nothing. Still probably <3 points on the whole.
  • Yojimbo: Seems situational, again probably <3 points.

Obviously a few of those are subjective judgements, but from the three that can be valued, we're looking at a bonus that is slightly more than 1 point, and two that are slightly below 2, all of which are nevertheless priced at a flat 3 points. The other bonuses are really quite situational and may never even meaningfully come up during a game – a Tough figure's first wound might be Grievous; your Yojimbo might be killed before he gets to intercede on your Leader's behalf, etc. On the whole, I don't think there's really much scope for serious metagaming on the Attributes front except insofar as Weapons Jutsu is such a powerful ability that most players seem to take it as given that every figure that could have it, has to have it.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2022, 06:01:36 PM by EnclavedMicrostate »

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2022, 03:49:15 PM »
Wow! Thanks for this in-depth post!

I think I might sprinkle a few attributes around for flavour based on this bit of analysis.

Cheers!

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2022, 07:08:24 PM »
Always go for the weapons jutsu over any other choice - in our games we have found it highly worthwhile (a figure with naginata and the accompanying weapons jitsu is extremely formidable - that ability to reroll a 1 or 2 can be critical at a key moment; in our games we also use the En Garde system for the jutsu).  After that, among the attributes we have found both Intuition and Powerful also to be well worthwhile.  Remember that there is a limitation among most buntai as to how many higher ranked individuals you can have - these attributes can give a level 3 figure a chance to stand toe-to-toe with a higher level for some time (perhaps long enough to do significant damage to the level 4/5, or until help arrives and you can gang up on him).  With Intuition, knowing that you have a defense in reserve means you can put all your dice into attack.  Also remember that in Ronin, who strikes first in a combat can be very important; significant hits can rob a character of the remainder of his combat pool for that turn (and you can thereby avoid a return strike).
« Last Edit: January 02, 2023, 06:42:35 PM by Metternich »

Offline Khusru2

• Librarian
    • Travels with Khusru
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2023, 08:16:32 PM »
My few games were with basic stats. My aim was/is to gain attributes/experience as the campaign goes on.
My last, of 4 bandit gangs, has yet to make its appearance. When I get back to the UK, I'll pick it up again. The games played well without attributes.