Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:02:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Andor (possible spoilers)  (Read 14985 times)

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: Andor
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2022, 01:42:08 PM »
That was rather bloody good  8)

Loads of background details. Good pacing and wasn’t over the top.

Deffo one to watch  8)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline dwbullock

• Scientist
« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2022, 07:14:30 PM »
Is it going to keep my 10 year old's interest?  He enjoyed Book of Fett, but picked Kenobi apart a bit.  And he doesn't enjoy the just outright blatant murder vibe in a lot of the more recent Marvel stuff.

'Did they have to show him shoot that guy in the head?  I mean, that looked like he really shot him in the head!  I don't want that in my superhero shows!'

Offline uti long smile

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2022, 10:28:45 PM »
Well that was a fried slice of gold. More of this please.
Something Crooked this way comes...
http://www.crooked-dice.co.uk/
Wargaming in the world of Cult TV

Offline Cypher226

• Mad Scientist
    • Friendly Fire
« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2022, 10:31:00 AM »
Watched all three episodes last night - so far it's exactly what I wanted!

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2022, 10:44:17 AM »
Is it going to keep my 10 year old's interest?  He enjoyed Book of Fett, but picked Kenobi apart a bit.  And he doesn't enjoy the just outright blatant murder vibe in a lot of the more recent Marvel stuff.

'Did they have to show him shoot that guy in the head?  I mean, that looked like he really shot him in the head!  I don't want that in my superhero shows!'
I enjoyed it; but it is a little bit more explicitly violent in a shooty way than your average Star Wars.

Offline DS615

• Scientist
    • Fandango Alpha
« Reply #50 on: September 22, 2022, 02:00:38 PM »

Your 10yo is exactly right, and very smart.
Let him know he is not alone.
- Scott

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2022, 05:49:02 AM »
Watched episodes 1-3 and really enjoyed it! The corporate watchmen are exactly the low level baddies we needed to make you realize why stormtroopers are the elite! Loved the setting and how they created that industrial planet. Lots of wargaming potential. Thumbs up so far!

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #52 on: September 26, 2022, 02:34:42 PM »
Really loving it so far.

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2022, 02:50:04 PM »
Watched episodes 1-3 and really enjoyed it! The corporate watchmen are exactly the low level baddies we needed to make you realize why stormtroopers are the elite! Loved the setting and how they created that industrial planet. Lots of wargaming potential. Thumbs up so far!

I second that!
Yet it's not specifically SW very much, however a good story well told and as soon as the Empire will chime in, it certainly promises to be perfectly recognizable (the trailes got me very excited with anticipation of exactly that!).

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #54 on: September 26, 2022, 03:49:50 PM »
Watched when I got back from... Disneyland, last week.
The whole Star Wars stuff was great.
I loved Rogue One, love Andor.
More for grownups than kids.
Semper Fi, Mac

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #55 on: September 27, 2022, 09:34:47 AM »
I binged the first three episodes this weekend, and I'm pleasantly surprised. The vibe is much grittier, showing populations in squalor, eeking out a dreary existence, in a way we haven't really seen in SW before.

This is the sub-layer the earlier films and series did not show (as explicitly). Much like there turns out to be an entire sub-layer of less priviliged people in Star Trek's Federation, which we never saw in the earlier series and films.

I feel it gives the entire universe more depth and realism. Plus; it clearly shows that the system(s) are far from perfect, even though they may seem that way from the top.

Almost like real life, eh? ;)

I usually like stories, be they books, series or films, best when they're still starting out on a low scale, where simply getting from A to B poses a challenge, where the world outside of the initial village or town feels very far away and a lowly evil footsoldier poses a huge threat. Where the mundane is still a part of the life of the protagonist(s).

The next phase, where they (finally) get to grips with the world at large, begin to understand the bigger challenge, get their first taste of victory and start tapping their (special) abilities is usually also fun; the character matures and discovers their role in the conflicts to come.

It's only when the final parts of such story arcs are reached, that I'm usually a bit put off (if only a tiny bit); the character has become one of the most important and often most powerful entities in the raging conflict. Armies, fleets and awesome team members, personal equipment and weapons are at their disposal, and the climactic battle ties it all off. Good guys win in a cataclismic event that changes the course of history forever, etc.

Very satisfying.

But I've always been more interested in the little guys; the humble beginnings. The ones that barely get by, or live their lives of quiet contentment, instead of the big heroes who will prevail anyway.

This is why I like the shire chapters (both at the beginning and the end of the books) in the Lord of the Rings, or the Star Trek Lower Decks series. It's why I loved the first book in the Mistborn trilogy, but got turned off by the completely apocalyptic ending of the last book. And also why I've really liked the first three episodes of Andor.

It's obvious that the next episodes will draw him into the fledgling rebellion, and some of the simplicity of his previous life will be lost, but we all know how his story ends. And even though he goes out with a (really big) bang, it's bittersweet instead of overly heroic. So I'm confident that the rest of the series will stay in this vein. Which suits me just fine; can't wait for the next episode :)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
« Reply #56 on: September 27, 2022, 12:19:54 PM »
"A New Hope' was great back in 1977. Rogue One and now Andor are really the only SW stuff that work for me.
I think that's because they feel more like real war stories that happen to be set in the Star Wars universe. Instead of... whatever it is the rest of those movies became.

Offline Kourtchatovium104

• Scientist
  • An atom from alternate realities...
« Reply #57 on: September 27, 2022, 01:15:53 PM »
I complètement agree with Dentatus!

Offline AzSteven

• Scientist
« Reply #58 on: September 27, 2022, 03:33:31 PM »
Like the 1st episode well enough.  The 2nd episode was slow to the point of me nearly giving up, but for whatever reason I opted to go ahead and run episode 3.  And that one hooked me completely.

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #59 on: September 28, 2022, 08:55:27 AM »
I enjoyed episode two better than episode one.

The corporate NCO character's voice kept scratching at my memory until I realised he was channeling number 2 on the Golgafrincham B Ark from the Hitch Hiker's Guide radio show o_o

I do have a slight question about why the bloke from the crashed spaceship was playing dead in the first place, but that was a minor quibble.

It's is shaping up to be the best of the shows to date :D