Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 08:33:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690325
  • Total Topics: 118325
  • Online Today: 594
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Heraclius vs. the Persians  (Read 2384 times)

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
    • Corlears Hook Fencibles
Heraclius vs. the Persians
« on: July 28, 2022, 04:16:10 PM »
And the glorious general led the advance
With a glorious swish of his sword and his lance
And a glorious clank of his tin-plated pants. - Dr. Seuss

My blog: http://corlearshookfencibles.blogspot.com/

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: Heraclius vs. the Persians
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2022, 07:43:29 PM »
Nice. Emperor Heraclius but I dob't remember the artists name.

I do remember borrowing from the banner bearer's banner in my first unit of Early Byzantines:

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2022, 08:27:34 PM »
ooh, you do nice work!  :o

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2022, 03:40:32 PM »
Nice write up. A favourite period and theatre of War of mine, and some superb figures available from Aventine Miniatures. I just wish someone made some "early" Arabs for use as Ghassanids and Lakhmids.

Offline Psychlic Bob

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2022, 01:30:58 PM »
Nice write up. A favourite period and theatre of War of mine, and some superb figures available from Aventine Miniatures. I just wish someone made some "early" Arabs for use as Ghassanids and Lakhmids.

Lancashire Games do them in 15mm (I designed them)

Offline MaleGriffin

• Mastermind
  • Don't bother running.... You'll just die tired....
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2022, 04:03:57 PM »
Beautifully done!
Hoc quoque transibit
Sanguinem sistit semper

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2022, 04:09:46 PM »
ooh, you do nice work!  :o

Thanks. If you're interested in seeing more then all the units so far can be seen in summary in the following link:
http://justaddwater-bedford.blogspot.com/2022/03/all-my-early-byzantine-units-thus-far.html

I agree with SJWi on both counts. A nice write up and it's a shame that Aventine do not seem to be doing Ghassanids and Lakhmids but at the dame time it's understandable as to design, sculpt then put into production miniatures has to make sense financially.

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2022, 04:25:04 PM »
Atheling, I totally get it as regards financial viability. I always find it amusing when I hear people bemoaning why Companies don't produce extreme minority interests. That said I'm still bemused at some of the ranges produced by the Perry's.  War of the Triple Alliance anyone? I still live in hope  for the Arabs. At one point Keith thought Adam planned to sculpt a few packs but not any more.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2022, 05:29:25 PM »
Atheling, I totally get it as regards financial viability. I always find it amusing when I hear people bemoaning why Companies don't produce extreme minority interests. That said I'm still bemused at some of the ranges produced by the Perry's.

I know what you mean. The Perry's, as I'm sure you know, are in a position where they can concentrate solely on their own interests/periods. This unfortunately is far from the case with most manufacturers. Sad but true.

War of the Triple Alliance anyone?

Certainly not my bag either but it's great that some ranges which would otherwise never see the light of day, are produced for those who are interested.

I still live in hope  for the Arabs. At one point Keith thought Adam planned to sculpt a few packs but not any more.

Me too! :) I had a long conversation with Keith a while back re: Ghassanids and Lakhmids and they seemed to be on the cards for a while. I haven spoken to Keith on the subject since but from what you're saying they are no longer viable, which is a shame as I want my Early Byzantines collection to be as broad as possible.

Interestingly enough the only packs produced by anyone which would pass as Ghassanids or Lakhmids is the Footsore Arab Tribal Slingers pack- not really a pack one could base an army on!

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2022, 05:52:54 PM »
Atheling, strangely enough War of the Triple Alliance may be next on my shopping list as a Sharpe Practice 2 period. I haven't spoken direct with Keith but e-mail exchanges only that the 6th/7th century Byzantine range is now com pp complete and they are moving on to pastures new, after re-sculpting/refurbishing some older ranges.

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2022, 01:44:10 PM »
The Fencibles have played War of the Triple Alliance using the grand-tactical rules Bloody Big Battles. Instead of acquiring the correct figures, Franco-Prussian French stood in for the Chileans, Confederates as Peruvians and 1866 Austrians as Bolivians, all in 15mm. It scratched the itch.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2022, 09:16:18 PM »
Atheling, strangely enough War of the Triple Alliance may be next on my shopping list as a Sharpe Practice 2 period. I haven't spoken direct with Keith but e-mail exchanges only that the 6th/7th century Byzantine range is now com pp complete and they are moving on to pastures new, after re-sculpting/refurbishing some older ranges.

I knew Keith and Adam were remoulding quite a few of their ranges. I wonder what's in the pipeline next  ???

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2022, 05:28:21 AM »
From memory Republican Romans, Etruscans and Italian Tribes. I've just bought an A&A Samnite army using one if their "deals". Still nice figures despite their age. An Etruscsn opponent will be needed one day!

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2022, 01:02:12 PM »
From memory Republican Romans, Etruscans and Italian Tribes.

Sounds about right  ;) :)

I've just bought an A&A Samnite army using one if their "deals". Still nice figures despite their age. An Etruscsn opponent will be needed one day!

The A&A range are great. Unsurprisingly my faves are the Middle/4th CE Imperial Romans and the Sassanids :)

Offline pallard

• Librarian
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2022, 09:41:58 PM »
The Etruscans have come! I just ordered a force for both Clash of spears and Mortal Gods from Agema miniatures ( they are the only ones who sell the cards for them!). Absolutely great figures, very well proportioned. You can also make early "hoplite" Romans with them.