Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 05:13:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689219
  • Total Topics: 118264
  • Online Today: 500
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Half-way through 2022 and.....  (Read 4122 times)

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
Half-way through 2022 and.....
« on: August 08, 2022, 03:01:32 PM »
I know many of us like to create goals for our hobby-selves at the start of the year.  Nothing too hardcore, more like guidelines to help keep you on track for the year.  Well, we are now slightly over half-way through the year, and I am interested in how you are doing! 

Here are some of the hits for me:

I had 5 main projects for the year:
1. Complete a Dark Age Irish army from Wargame Atlantic- Complete
2. Complete my Korean War aircraft from Tumbling Dice - Complete
3. Complete a Persian force from Victrix - Purchased
4. Complete a second Dark Age force from Gripping beast - Not started
5. Complete two forces of Triremes for Poseidon's Warriors - Printed, and half painted

In 2022 I have painted over 130+ minis, so I am on track to get closer to 250+ this year.  However, I have to admit that these Persians are daunting me! 

I also have been able to play a lot more games then I expected!  I typically target about 6-8 by now, but am at 20+!  This includes a variety of games from Kill Team to WIP games of my own.  However, I have played a lot of Castles in the Sky so far this year! 

Finally, I have been pretty productive on the Rules Writing front as I have gotten a few titles up on the Wargame Vault as well this year. 
- Blood and Spectacles 2E
- White Star/Red Star
- Under the Martian Yoke
- Fury of the Northman

...and of course, Castles in the Sky came out for Osprey this year.  Woot!  Woot! 

There are a few others bits and bobs here and there, but those are the most relevant.  If you want to read more and see some pictures, I of course have a mid-year check-in on the blog:
http://bloodandspectacles.blogspot.com/2022/08/random-noon-of-new-age-2022.html

However, what I really want to see in this thread is YOUR progress!  What have you been working on and what have you accomplished in 2022 so far?  Pictures are very welcome!

Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline Inkpaduta

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Re: Half-way through 2022 and.....
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2022, 04:51:41 PM »
I have caught up. I have everything that I wanted to get
painted done.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2022, 07:33:24 PM »
I'm...iffy?

As far as models painted for the year (120, I just try to average 10 per month) I'm fine.  Well past it already.

I've three games in the pipeline for designing, and hope to have at least one out by Christmas (heck, hopefully sooner).  Despite designing several games, I still think "Eh, I could knock this out in a month or two..." when I start one.  It is NEVER the case, lol.

So...instead of several games done by Christmas 2022, I just want to have at least one on sale, with another getting work done on it.

Terrain wise, I had no plans, but I'm making good progress - selling off unused stuff, and building a lot of new stuff, grabbed a lot of new mats.

So, overall...I'm happy.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 187
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline tikitang

• Mad Scientist
  • A shadow out of time...
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2022, 05:36:21 AM »
My major objective for this year was to move house.

This has largely interrupted any plans I had/have for hobbying, but that's not a bad thing as I had just simultaneously crashed out of three projects earlier this year and was in need of a reset.

The moving day is at the end of this month. Once that has occurred and I am settled in my new place I will focus back onto tabletop gaming and reassess what direction I want to take it in.

In the new house I will have my own dedicated office room (something I have longed for for years) which will, I hope, greatly enhance my ability to get things done. At present my only gaming space is a garret in the attic, which has proved highly inadequate.

A bonus objective that I achieved this year (just yesterday in fact) is that I finally, finally rid myself of a collection of 90mm scale figures which has been cluttering up my house (and my mind) for a decade now. I started collecting them back in 2012 with the intention of playing wargames with them, and while this seemed like a fun idea at the time, within a few years the collection grew too big and I had essentially created an albatross for my own neck. I tried various gaming projects with them over the years but these never really amounted to anything worthwhile, and in the end they created nothing but hassle and frustration for me. Yesterday I bit the bullet and got rid of the entire collection, which was a huge weight off my mind.
https://a-descent-into-the-maelstrom.blogspot.com/

"The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything."

- Chuck Palahniuk

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2022, 11:54:36 AM »
My gaming/hobby progress has been pretty much eradicated by relocating to Canada at the end of Feb. Everything got packed up ready to ship mid Feb, and arrived 2 weeks ago. My planned projects and interests at the start of the year have definitely shifted in the intervening few months, so not sure where that's going to leave me. Atleast I can look forward to catching up on some sort of stuff as we move into the fall!
Xander
Army painters thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=56540.msg671536#new
WinterApoc thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=50815.0

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2022, 04:13:12 PM »
Goose egged four of the seven months through the end of July but am still not too far behind my 125 figures per month goal, should be at 825 and I am at 731.  This is all in 15 mm and 'game table' standard, not prize worthy but game worthy figures.  Had to really push hard in July but got 331 figures done. 

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2022, 05:10:13 PM »
I didn't have any real goals, save for doing some more Vietnam figures.  Which I did.  Here's my list so far (all 28mm)...

WW2
     8 German figures (should be 17 by the end of the week)
     1 SdKfz 234 Puma armored car
     19 US figures
     1 US AT gun

Vietnam
     27 US figures
     10 NVA figures
     10 VC figures

Modern(ish)
     22 "armed civilians"
     7 Policia

That's a total of 103 figures (112 by the end of this week...), a vehicle, and a gun.  Throw in a game nearly every week, as well as 2 conventions, and I think I'm good...
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline bishop2k7

• Assistant
    • Random Fire
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2022, 07:08:38 PM »
I've made lots of progress on most my goals for this year, but some have remained stagnant. I couple new projects have popped up as well.

Sharp Practice Peninsular Project: Slow going
  • British force: Painted and ready to go!
  • French force: About 1/3 painted
  • Terrain: Coming along

Generic Sci-Fi (Stargrave/Pulp Alley): All but finished
  • Reaper Minis I bought last year: All painted and looking good
  • Old 90s Minis pulled from storage: Mostly painted. Couple squads left to go
  • Terrain: Almost done. Just need just a couple Sci-Fi buildings and perhaps some exotic plant life

Star Wars Legion: Finished
  • Shadow Collective Force: Painted and ready
  • Terrain: Finished (Shares with other sci-fi project)

Spectre: Operations PMC Project: Lots of progress, but growing bigger all the time
  • First wave units: Painted and ready
  • Second wave: On the painting table
  • Third wave: Ordering when the painting table clears a little
  • Vehicles: On the way
  • Terrain: Desert terrain finished. Still need trees, modern buildings and roads

Added to that, I want to get into something smaller scale (everything above is 28/32 mm). Thinking either 10mm Cold War or 2mm Napoleonics.

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2022, 01:55:40 AM »
I have not made much progress the last few years with wargaming and shelved my larger plans. Health issues make fine motor control (like painting) difficult so home improvements and cleanup projects became my primary hobby. We made quite a bit of progress there and even managed to get a long delayed European holiday in. I did paint 30 figures for SWL this summer in short batches after painting nothing for 18 months so 2022 has been a good year all things considered.   
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2022, 09:30:39 AM »
I've been painting several times a week, but not as much to show for it as hoped:

- Fantasy
These were all contrast paints and are part of my plans for Oathmark/Dragon Rampant
  • Pink Horrors (varnish catastrophe I've still to fix :'()
  • Flamers of Tzeentch (including a couple of old school metal ones)
  • Ungor raiders
  • Some scatter terrain pieces (crates, etc)

- Cold War in 20mm

I got bitten by the cold war bug and dug out old stuff/bought new stuff. So far I've painted one section of British Infantry and one T-55, which I'm having my usual vehicle painting problems with :(

- Modern
  • I painted up some figures for use with Zona Alpha and general post apocalypse stuff
  • I decided to increase/refresh my zombies so added a dozen Zombicide ones in contrast paints
  • Built and painted Tamiya Kubelwagen and Schwimmwagen for use with modern games, not WW2

- Science Fiction
  • Converted and painted some Heresy gangers
  • Some objective marker terrain pieces
  • Currently painting some 6mm figures so I can play Five Parsecs games in a smaller space

Overall, not too bad I suppose. Still feels less than it should be, given the time I've spent on the hobby ???

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2022, 01:20:30 PM »
A frustrating year so far for me…

Redundancy, then looking for a new job, then starting a new (much better) job all combined to limit my hobby time.  On top of that I’ve lost my painting mojo, so while I’ve been able to make some bits of terrain, or repaint vehicles, I’ve struggled to get the focus to paint figures.

YTD I’ve only finished the following:

28mm Cold War Project
14 vehicles
3 Aircraft
5 figures

28mm Mesoamerican Fantasy
5 figures
A whole bunch of jungle

28mm Game of Thrones
Zilch  :o

To regain my painting mojo I’ve decided upon a new “small” project with a v.different theme…more on this soon  ;)

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Wargame News and Terrain
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2022, 08:08:15 PM »
Bit surprising managed to paint quite a lot of miniatures so far. Quite happy must be the best year so far and more to come hopefully before the end of the year with some holidays left.

28mm Legions of The Dark Tower Project

15x Orc Battalions (360 miniatures)

28mm Space 1889 Lizardmen of Venus Army Project

3x Lizardmen Tribal Warriors Company (24 miniatures)
2x Lizardmen Tribal Musketeers Company (16 miniatures)
6x Lizardmen Sepoy Infantry Company (48 miniatures)
1x Lizardmen Tribal Jezzails Company (4 miniatures)
1x Lizardmen Tribal Archers Company (8 miniatures)
1x Lizardmen Sepoy Artillery Battery Crew (12 miniatures)
1x Lizardmen Sepoy Wicker Shields (8 miniatures)
Wargame News and Terrain Blog, daily updated with the latest wargame news

Interested click https://wargameterrain.blogspot.com/

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2022, 03:13:09 PM »
Oh, just the usual for me. Start the year with a plan for projects to start/complete, then quickly get diverted by new shiny toys and buy stuff I didn't intend, then play a new games with a friend and get interested in that, and so on lol............

For example, in January 2022 I noted the following plans!
Finish writing my second scenario book for Sellswords and Spellslingers and submit to Ganesha Games
Finally decide whether or not I was going to do something with the 10mm WW2 Late War US army that I've had in the cupboard for 6-7 years
Carry on painting my Blacklist Game fantasy kickstarter minis before the next kick starter arrives (perhaps wishful thinking that it will be this year!)
Expand my VSF forces for IHMN with a steam tank and a walker
Finally finish my 10mm War of Spanish Succession forces.

Progress to date:
Scenario book finished and sent to publisher - Check!
10mm US army photographed and advertsied for sale - Check!
Painting Blacklist Games minis - still ongoing but another 54 painted so far this year - Check!
Expanding my VSF forces - Check, sort of!

A steam tank and A walker? I now have 3 steam tanks, a tunnling mole machine and 4 walkers painted - several others to be built/painted as well. I also have 3 gunboats of varying sizes and a RN boarding party I didn't know I needed!

Then Mark mentioned in passing 28mm ECW and "you could play witch-finders with IHMN". Now I have 4 new factions for 17th Century Gothic including werewolves

and Nosferatu vampires!

It gets better!

Finish off my 10mm WSS collection:  But now butterfly brain has been buying books about the Great Northern War and has the best part of 1000 10mm figures in transit!!!!!

Offline Sgt_T

• Scientist
    • Toomuchterrain
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2022, 05:15:53 PM »
Focused on my Star Wars project this year and I'm pretty satisfied with the progress so far.

(not entirely from this year to be honest; the Jawa's were painted in december last year)

Blogging and posting progress (https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=132932.0) has helped keep me on track so intend to keep doing this for future projects.

T.

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2022, 08:16:06 AM »
I don't really have any goals as such. But this year my painting output has been atrocious. I have painted 7 titans for Adeptus Titanicus and a 50 28mm miniatures.

I usually paint between 200 and 400 miniatures a year. That is at least true in my head. But looking back last year I only paintet 49 miniatures all year. So perhaps around 50'ish is the new normal.

I will say in my defense though that I really feel that I have the miniatures I need to most of the genres that I play. I can cover most of the time periods that interest me with my existing collection. So the need/motivation for painting more stuff is not as great as it used to be. I guess that is what happens when you are "between projects".