Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:50:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: A Proper Introduction  (Read 2347 times)

Offline tikitang

• Mad Scientist
  • A shadow out of time...
A Proper Introduction
« on: August 11, 2022, 03:11:05 PM »
Greetings,

This is slightly awkward as I've been posting here for several years now, without having properly introduced myself.

I'm from Edinburgh, Scotland, married and a father of four. I'm about to enter my 40s, and have been experimenting with skirmish gaming for about a decade, with very little to show for it, though I've learned a lot and I'm hoping to turn things around in the years to come. I'm rather an introverted fellow, so prefer to game alone or with family or close friends. I'm not generally comfortable with groups, so tend to avoid clubs.

My hobbies are:

- Reading
- Board Games
- Cycling
- Wargaming (theoretically, so far)

These are my general interests:

- Arthurian Myth and Legend
- Dark Ages
- Gothic Horror
- English Civil War / Wars of the Three Kingdoms
- Biblical History

I'm a fan of the fictional work of the following authors:

- J.R.R. Tolkien
- Robert E. Howard
- H.P. Lovecraft
- C.S. Lewis
- Arthur Machen
- Bram Stoker

As far as wargaming is concerned I first came across it at highschool through a combination of:

(a) skimming through copies of White Dwarf in the school library

(b) a friend in my class who was massively into it all

(c) strolling past [and many times stopping at] Games Workshop on my daily walk home.

I was particularly interested in the artwork and the lore (mostly the artwork), but never really played any games or painted anything. In fact, I was always rather averse to that side of things until much more recently.

In 2011 I stumbled across Song of Blades & Heroes via Board Game Geek and spent the following decade experimenting with those rules and other skirmish games. I've attempted various projects over the last few years but have found I have a rather fickle temperament and can't settle down with anything for long before I lose interest.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2022, 04:21:53 AM by tikitang »
https://a-descent-into-the-maelstrom.blogspot.com/

"The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything."

- Chuck Palahniuk

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Re: A Proper Introduction
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2022, 03:22:22 PM »
You have now properly introduced yourself, let the merriment commence! 👍
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2022, 03:41:20 PM »
Belated welcome  ;)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2022, 07:33:43 AM »
welcome indeed
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2022, 07:59:48 AM »
Welcome - I think many of us have difficulty focusing on just one project  lol

Look forward to seeing your posts and minis.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2022, 07:11:18 PM »
Welcome on board!

Your list of hobbies is rather similar to mine - though my gaming mates have lately said I’m a cyclist who wargames, due to the amount of peddling I’ve been doing over the last couple of years!

I find that playing some games really focuses my painting and modelling leading to much more productivity. When I’m not playing as much, or we are flitting between games I find I flit around painting projects too. If you’ve kept up modelling / collecting for 10 years with only the theory of gaming - great work! But finding some one / people to play against will probably help a lot with getting stuff done.

Location wise you should be fairly well positioned for other gamers

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2022, 02:39:33 AM »
Welcome!  I'm from the US, but my 1:72/20mm modern British infantry are from Edinburgh.  Soft plastics I got at Wonderland Models when my wife and I visited in '08!
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline tikitang

• Mad Scientist
  • A shadow out of time...
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2022, 04:57:07 AM »
my gaming mates have lately said I’m a cyclist who wargames, due to the amount of peddling I’ve been doing over the last couple of years!

Ha! I am beginning to think this is a fair description for myself, to be honest. I have put hundreds of pounds, hours and miles into cycling over the last two years (it was the lockdown which really got me out on my bike), and while I have also spent hundreds of pounds on wargaming as well, all I have to show for it at this point in time is a literal single handful of unpainted miniatures, a void in my bank account, and the memories of a few games played which can probably also be counted on the fingers of a single hand.

On the other hand (no pun intended), something positive is that I have learned how to paint miniatures during the last ten years, something which I never imagined I would do when I first started getting interested in this hobby. When I began in 2011, I was terrified of the idea of painting and used to only play with pre-painted miniatures, which brings me onto...

Soft plastics I got at Wonderland Models

Wonderland Models is a great place! I spent many a Saturday there taking my son (who was a baby at the time) with me in his stroller and I would leave with the stroller stuffed to the gills with pre-painted soft plastic figures for my wargaming experiments -- only they were 1:18/90mm scale, rather than the far more sensible scale that you purchased in 2008!

I have mentioned elsewhere that I collected those 90mm figures for about four or five years, hoarding an unmanageable collection, though rarely making much use of them for actual gaming, despite that. I finally managed to ditch that collection a week ago, after years of collecting dust, and from now on I am only going to focus on painting actual wargaming miniatures in a more sensible scale.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2022, 08:25:04 AM by tikitang »

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2022, 08:18:58 PM »
Hello

Offline swiftnick

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2022, 08:52:27 PM »
Greetings nice to meet another gamer from Edinburgh.

Offline ithoriel

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2022, 10:00:24 PM »
Greetings from a fellow Edinburgher!

There are a lots of us littered about Edinburgh, right enough.

I used to frequent SESWC but these days game at home and emerge (blinking in the sunlight) for Claymore, Carronade and, for the first time this year, Deep Fried Lard. My sole foray to parts distant this year was to Joy of Six.

Must do better next year. Pandemics, endemic poverty and nuclear war permitting! I feel like I am reliving my teenage years. Monopoly by candlelight anyone?
There are 100 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data.