Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 07:11:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1685059
  • Total Topics: 118008
  • Online Today: 935
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Help with F. & I. figures.  (Read 960 times)

Offline Leapsnbounds

• Mad Scientist
Help with F. & I. figures.
« on: August 12, 2022, 12:00:08 PM »
I am thinking of starting a new period.  This one; French and Indian War.  Which figures would you recommend and which miniature manufacturers are the most compatible. Which aare the best, the worst. I game in 28mm.  I am a beginner and welcome any and all advice and leads. thank  you in advnce.

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
Re: Help with F. & I. figures.
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2022, 12:43:58 PM »
Galloping Major, Redoubt, Stronghold, Northstar, Brigade Games and Conquest/warlord are all lovely. The only issue being that there appear to be two distinctly different size bands

Larger: Galloping Major, Redoubt, Northstar Muskets & Tomahawks (1st & 2nd edition figures) - all big models, with wide ranges. Especially with respect to rangers, civilians and other irregulars. GM & NS are better sculpted than Redoubt, but some of the redoubt figures just ooze character and they do some truly unique sets/vignettes.

Stronghold are inbetween, but probable fit with the above better

True 28mm: Conquest/Warlord and Brigade games are more conventional 28mm. They fit very well with the Perry AWI range (useful for indigenous tribes folks and militia which can be back dated) and the Sash & Sabre range. S&S has a massive range, with some great poses/ideas but the sculpting isn't quite as good as the others. Probably analogous to the Redoubt figures above. I'd happily use them to add variety as they have unique figures, probably wouldn't base my entire collection on them
Xander
Army painters thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=56540.msg671536#new
WinterApoc thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=50815.0

Offline Citizen Sade

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2022, 01:08:02 PM »
True 28mm: Conquest/Warlord and Brigade games are more conventional 28mm. They fit very well with the Perry AWI range (useful for indigenous tribes folks and militia which can be back dated) and the Sash & Sabre range ...
And there’s Eureka with highlanders, provincials & George Washington with a brace of hounds.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2022, 01:20:36 PM by Citizen Sade »

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2022, 02:07:24 PM »
My collection is Galloping Major with a smattering of Redoubt and Northstar. The GM range is pretty comprehensive and has just about everything you need. They are gorgeous figures. ;D
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline syr8766

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2022, 03:28:18 PM »
+1 on Northstar and Brigade. Brigade did a whole bunch of newer sculpts a year or so ago for "This Very Ground" and are solid. The Northstar figures are a little bigger/more 'heroic' but not so much that they can't work together.

Offline Patrice

• Mastermind
  • Breizh / Brittany
    • "Argad!"
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2022, 04:59:45 PM »
I'm using Galloping Major and North Star figures and I like them very much.  :)

(Not to say I don't like the others. I play skirmish, if I was playing larger battle I would perhaps go for true 28mm)

I also use a few civilians from pirate ranges whose clothing is still acceptable.

Redoubt

Ah thank you, I have a few civilian women figures since long and I couldn't find where they came from! Redoubt.  :)

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2022, 08:11:35 PM »
My collection is a mix of Redoubt and Galloping Major. They fit perfectly together and both ranges are quite comprehensive but GM's casting is better.

Some of the older Redoubt figures can come with a lot of mould lines, especially on the faces. That said, I know they have been re-working their moulds so hopefully that would no longer be a problem.

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
  • All Purpose Neko-Sensei
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2022, 01:39:09 AM »
I mix and match just about everything I can get my hands on for maximum pose variety — I like them all!

IIRC the collection includes:

AW
Brigade
Dixon
Eureka
Fife & Drum [slender: actual scale miniatures]
Front Rank [shortish]
Galloping Major
Irregular
Minden [slender: actual scale miniatures]
Old Glory [for Indians with bows, and replaced the lead spaghetti with brass wire]
Perry
Redoubt
Sash & Saber
Warlord/Conquest
Wasatch Miniatures/GAJO

Also additional civilians from:

Blue Moon
Foundry/Casting Room
Outpost
Warfare
West Wind
« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 01:44:12 AM by Cat »

Offline BillK

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2022, 02:02:31 AM »
My American Indians (FIW, Cherokee War, Ohio Valley, and 2nd Seminole War) are a mix of Warlord-Conquest, Perry, Flint & Feather, and some Clearco. The F&F run a little bigger but not obnoxiously so. Very happy with the way they all fit together.

Offline Mindenbrush

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2022, 11:59:17 AM »
Old Glory have a very large range and with the 40% Army Card, good value.
You will get a few miscasts but the price is good and so many varied poses.
Wargamers do it on a table.
YNWA - It is not a badge, it is a family crest
Montreal Historical Wargaming Club

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2022, 02:20:16 AM »
Great lists and suggestions, so far. Most of mine are Conquest Miniatures, with some Old Glory mixed in. However, a newer range that I have a couple packs of are the Flint & Feather line. These are mainly pre-contact and might be a bit earlier in time period than you are looking for.

Galloping Major is constantly expanding their line and would be a great place to start and expand from there. At least in my opinion!  lol

Mike Demana