Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:25:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690827
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Mexican-American war (more US infantry added 4/9)  (Read 8699 times)

Offline Redshank

• Librarian
Re: Mexican-American war
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2023, 01:22:16 PM »
And now for the 2nd US Dragoons!

I really like the poses on some of these models, especially the ones swiping to the side.

Less positively, I am not used to spraycan varnish and overdid it somewhat on a few models, leading to a buildup of residue, which will need touched up once I get home. Also the supposedly matt varnish still looks pretty shiny - I'm hoping a coast of my usual matt will sort that out.

Onto some "redleg" US infantry next (artillery serving as infantry).

« Last Edit: March 15, 2023, 01:24:02 PM by Redshank »

Offline Flodden1513

• Assistant
Re: Mexican-American war Zapadores
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2023, 08:07:56 PM »
Hi folks,

Eureka will be releasing Zapadores and also a few more additions in not too distant. US volunteer infantry, US sailors , US flying artillery in shako.

I asked for some more additions, looking forward to them.

Scott

Offline Redshank

• Librarian
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2023, 05:08:17 AM »
Excellent news! I was in touch with Mike about Zapadores a while ago - great to hear this is moving ahead.

Offline Flodden1513

• Assistant
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2023, 10:41:20 PM »
Indeed it is!

I will try to post some of my efforts on the Eureka sculpts when I get a moment. They are in storage right now. I used Contrast paints with further acrylic highlights. Your excellent work has inspired me to get them back out!

Scott

Offline Redshank

• Librarian
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2023, 09:05:07 PM »
Indeed it is!

I will try to post some of my efforts on the Eureka sculpts when I get a moment. They are in storage right now. I used Contrast paints with further acrylic highlights. Your excellent work has inspired me to get them back out!

Scott

Please do sir - I'd be interested to see Contrast paints on these 15mm/18mm chaps.

What rules are you using?

Offline Redshank

• Librarian
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2023, 09:46:10 PM »
Finished first 4 bases or so of the US 1st Artillery, serving as infantry ("redlegs"):

Onto some Mexican 1st Cavalry next. Really looking forward to painting these guys.

Offline Flodden1513

• Assistant
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2023, 09:48:08 AM »
Please do sir - I'd be interested to see Contrast paints on these 15mm/18mm chaps.

What rules are you using?

I will certainly do that! On a break right now but when back will post some pictures.

Rules. Right now, no idea. I view this war as one best fought at big skirmish or regimental level. Am thinking of Sharp Practice for the big skirmish but the Fire and Fury variant for the latter. Do you have rules in view?

My initial thoughts revolve around gaming aspects of the California expedition. I have a lot of Presidials ! Might suggest to Eureka that they do dismounted Presidials skirmishing….

Scott

Offline Redshank

• Librarian
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2023, 04:05:02 PM »
Rules-wise, I'm leaning towards a slightly-modified Live Free or Die, for Taylor's northern campaign. I'm excited Eureka might expand the range to cover more of the volunteer units that were with Taylor at Buena Vista.

The main thing not in the original rules is the US flying artillery. I'm thinking two command points for a move/fire/move order, breaking the normal move sequence - their "fire" action would include say up to 12" of move either side of their shot. But I haven't tried it in play yet. Vicious on the Mexicans, but costly for the Americans in terms of command points.

I'm using the scenarios put out for Regimental Fire and Fury for background info / orders of battle, and I'd be interested to try those rules too, although views on them seem mixed.

California would certainly offer lots of opportunities for skirmish games. It's just a hundred men a side or so even for some named engagements like San Pasqual.

Offline Redshank

• Librarian
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2023, 08:28:08 PM »
Mexican First Cavalry completed! Well, before basing and varnishing at least:

The white horse was an experiment - white patches over grey undercoat, then a coat of dark wash. I'm tempted to do some more highlights but that can tip over too easily into overdoing it, so I'll leave it there for now (and probably end up doing it anyway when I get to basing).

Two compromises vs what I know of the history: first, a majority of them should probably have lances instead of swords, but I like the sword poses.

Also, the army list I am using (from Fire and Fury, for Palo Alto) says they fought together with 7th Cavalry in a 6-base unit, but I have enough for 6 bases here of 1st Cav alone. I preferred the 1st Cav models and uniforms.

Onto 10th Mexican Line infantry next - a chance to crack out my purple paint for a change as some of their uniform detailing was in that colour according to Osprey.

Offline PBR Streetgang

• Bookworm
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2023, 03:24:01 AM »
Really beautiful collection! The Mexican American War has long been a gaming interest of mine. I began and aborted projects in 28mm (First Corps and OG figures) and 15mm (Musket and Minifigs) and only finally completed armies in 10mm (So Far From God miniatures). I game the MAW with Field of Battle 3.

I like your use of Blue Moon and Eureka, they go together nicely and you've done a splendid job with all of those pretty uniforms. Keep up the great work!

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
    • Corlears Hook Fencibles
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2023, 02:37:30 PM »
For the Flying Artillery: maybe a gunner rolling a lit shell into captain Bragg's tent?  :D

Lovely figures, look forward to your AARs.
And the glorious general led the advance
With a glorious swish of his sword and his lance
And a glorious clank of his tin-plated pants. - Dr. Seuss

My blog: http://corlearshookfencibles.blogspot.com/

Offline Redshank

• Librarian
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2023, 03:27:52 PM »
Thankyou for the kind words!

Really beautiful collection! The Mexican American War has long been a gaming interest of mine. I began and aborted projects in 28mm (First Corps and OG figures) and 15mm (Musket and Minifigs) and only finally completed armies in 10mm (So Far From God miniatures). I game the MAW with Field of Battle 3.

I did look at the SFFG range and was sorely tempted, but I have another period in 10mm (FPW) and fancied a change.

I will try and check out Field of Battle 3. I also have another ruleset in pdf called Brave Men Badly Led that is specifically for MAW and deserves a playtest at some point!

Offline Flodden1513

• Assistant
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2023, 09:02:46 AM »
Rules-wise, I'm leaning towards a slightly-modified Live Free or Die, for Taylor's northern campaign. I'm excited Eureka might expand the range to cover more of the volunteer units that were with Taylor at Buena Vista.

The main thing not in the original rules is the US flying artillery. I'm thinking two command points for a move/fire/move order, breaking the normal move sequence - their "fire" action would include say up to 12" of move either side of their shot. But I haven't tried it in play yet. Vicious on the Mexicans, but costly for the Americans in terms of command points.

I'm using the scenarios put out for Regimental Fire and Fury for background info / orders of battle, and I'd be interested to try those rules too, although views on them seem mixed.

California would certainly offer lots of opportunities for skirmish games. It's just a hundred men a side or so even for some named engagements like San Pasqual.

Live Free or Die, excellent idea. I use them in my 10 mm AWI games and very much enjoy them. Although AWI specific I don’t doubt that they could be tweaked for MAW, not least given small size of battles and wide variety of troop class/ morale states.

I like your flying artillery idea. Any thoughts on special rules for the Mexicans? Am guessing use of the lance will be one? And while I am here I really love the Mexican cavalry you just did. Very evocative.

I think my one concern with Fire and Fury is sheer number of bases needed. With Live Free, unit sizes are of course relative, so may well look at giving those a shot.

I also attach some WIP of my contrast painted efforts. I use these paints to establish a base for further work. Bit like oil painting idea of laying down values. The completed US infantry private and officer have had acrylic highlights added as has one of the 11th regiment Mexican privates. Really proof of concept work so far.

Pics also attached of Texas Rangers, some have had acrylic highlights added. And a mounted US officer.

I find that contrast paints work really well for horses. The knack is selecting a natural tone, as ever. Given the use of a lot of piebald and skewbald types, especially in irregular units and even Mexican regular units, the flow quality of contrast paints really lend themselves to painting the more challenging breeds.

I think , for volunteer infantry, Eureka are going for a fairly rough and ready civilian / quasi - uniform look, at least from memory. I dare say mixing in some regulars for a more uniformed appearance would work. I know that Eureka are sorting out master moulds just now so guess release will be not too far away.

Ok, must head! But this thread has inspired me to do some more and get beyond a few proof of concept figures.

Scott

Offline LouieN

• Mastermind
  • "Aure entuluva!"
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2023, 01:07:06 AM »
looking food.  Those the softcaps on the Americans

Offline Redshank

• Librarian
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2023, 09:43:45 AM »
@Flodden, the contrast paint is working very well - those look excellent. Concept proven, I would say!

Quite right on the effectiveness of the Mexican lancers. Maybe an extra die (or even 2) on a successful charge. Given how expensive charges are in LFoD in terms of command points, some balance would still be maintained.

I'm intrigued by "Brave Men Badly Led" - set of rules I found online from Alex Bagosy of Black Army Productions. Only 9 figures per infantry regiment of 3 bases and 6 per cavalry (and 1 gun per battery) so it's light on figures requirement. It uses a similar command-point mechanic as LFoD. It also employs event cards, such as: "Desert Winds - all shooting at -1D6 this turn", or "Jefferson Davis - any one friendly unit is immediately rallied", which seems like a great way to bring in some MAW flavour.