Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:14:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Men in Black vs the Fallers (part 3 updated 29 december)  (Read 3322 times)

Offline Sgt_T

• Scientist
    • Toomuchterrain
Men in Black vs the Fallers (part 3 updated 29 december)
« on: August 16, 2022, 03:05:07 PM »
I guess this belongs in this child board: a skirmish game with Fistful of Lead rules and a sci-fi setting?

I'm a great fan of Peter F Hamilton's books, and ever since I read The Chronicle of the Fallers I've been wanting to use it as the setting for a game.

In the book, large eggs regularly fall down from space on a planet. After landing on the planet, the eggs exert a strong attractive force on the creatures living on the planet. When a creature is drawn towards the egg and touches it, it is stuck. The trapped creature is then "eggsumed". It is slowly absorbed by the egg and transforms into a perfect copy (a Faller), which is under the control of the Faller hive mind and is much stronger than the original.

The people inhabiting the planet try to destroy an egg as soon as it lands, but of course they sometimes are too late. Society is slowly infiltrated by the Fallers who try to have influential people eggsumed in order to help taking over the planet.

In our game the trajectory of an egg has been tracked to a remote countryside location on Earth. An MiB team which happened to be in the area is dispatched to secure the egg before it eggsumes someone or a Faller coven can get to it. It will then later be collected by a special egg recovery team for further research. A nearby Faller coven is however also en route to the egg and plans to have an influential politician, who was abducted by another faller coven, eggsumed.

The Faller Egg:

The Faller coven spreading out to stop the MiB:

Men in Black moving towards the Fallers:

Men in Black getting killed:

In the end the MiB team got wiped out and the Fallers secured the egg. All is not lost however because they haven't been able to get the politician they abducted to the egg yet...

More on my blog: https://toomuchterrain.blogspot.com/2022/08/mib-vs-fallers-part-1.html

T.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2022, 11:49:51 AM by Sgt_T »

Offline Inkpaduta

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Re: Men in Black vs the Fallers
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2022, 06:56:51 PM »
Nice report. Looks like fun.

Offline crafty

• Librarian
  • Slapdash
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2022, 08:56:09 PM »
Really love the scenario. It's such a cool idea that I'm gonna use that egg-suction rule in a future game. Your table looks great as well thanks for posting.

I've ran an Alien Invasion FFoL game using HeroScape figures. FFoL is a great toolbox for anything you want.

This Slap-Dash Life
@Mcslapdash@mastodon.social

Offline Kourtchatovium104

• Scientist
  • An atom from alternate realities...
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2022, 02:08:47 PM »
Great idea to use this story (that I really enjoyed when I have read it) for your scenario!  :)

Offline Sgt_T

• Scientist
    • Toomuchterrain
Re: Men in Black vs the Fallers (part 2 updated 22 August)
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2022, 12:00:22 PM »
Thanks guys!

In part 2, the Fallers were trying to get the abducted politician to the secured egg to be eggsumed.
However, another MiB team put up a roadblock to stop them.

With their prisoner in the camper van, the Fallers spot the roadblock and try to flank it through the woods, leaving one Faller to guard the prisoner.

A few MiB work their way trough the woods to confront them.

While they are slugging it out, the other MiB agents rescue the politician.

And pick up the MiB leader as the only survivor from the shootout in the woods.

A narrow escape for the MiB!

More on my blog: https://toomuchterrain.blogspot.com/2022/08/mib-vs-fallers-part-2.html

T.

• Scientist
Re: Men in Black vs the Fallers (part 2 updated 22 August)
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2022, 02:49:22 PM »
Great  :)

Offline Sgt_T

• Scientist
    • Toomuchterrain
Re: Men in Black vs the Fallers (part 3 updated 29 december)
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2022, 12:08:35 PM »
After the confrontation with the Fallers in previous episodes, MIB agents B, L, R and Y have made their way back to MIB facilities. Since the MIB failed to capture the Egg, HQ is worried that in fact one of the returned agents was eggsumed and turned into a Faller infiltrator.
In order to reveal the alien inside one of the agents and contain the damage, the four agents are moved to a remote polar MIB facility. They are accompanied by agents V and I, who are certain not to have been egssumed and can be trusted completely.

My son played the MIB, trying to expose the Faller impersonating an MIB agent, while I played the Fallers.

The doctor is about to test the suspect agents:

The Faller(s) are revealed and attack the supervising agents:

Surviving MIB agents retreat to the armory, pursued by Fallers:

They reach the armory and, armed to the teeth, face the Fallers:

In the end the MIB destroyed the alien invaders.

The confined space and partially unarmed characters meant a lot of close combat, not seen in our previous Fistful of Lead games. We had a lot of fun. The Fistful of Lead rules are perfect for these sort of small scale skirmish games.

More on my blog: https://toomuchterrain.blogspot.com/2022/12/mib-vs-fallers-part-3-who-goes-there.html

T.

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2022, 02:03:02 PM »
Always a pleasure to follow a campaign  :)

Offline Commander Roj

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2023, 12:40:28 PM »
Very interesting. I have read a lot of Peter F Hamilton, but not for a decade so I had missed this. Just ordered The Abyss... Good campaign concept.

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2023, 03:00:35 PM »
Great battle reports! I enjoyed the additional details on your blog posts. I agree that FFOL is a nice tool kit to do with it as you wish. Keep it up! Hoping the MiB and their "flashy thing" can defeat the alien eggvation!

Mike Demana

Offline Sgt_T

• Scientist
    • Toomuchterrain
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2023, 08:29:47 PM »
Thanks people!

With the Faller threat inside the MIB neutralized, next time the MIB will most likely take the fight to the Faller coven base...

T.

Offline Raedwald

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2023, 06:50:55 PM »
I’d not heard of Peter F. Hamilton before this, but have really enjoyed following your campaign. Always great to see some Copplestone minis in action too.

Looking forward to the next installment. Thanks for sharing all this  :).