Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:59:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690897
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Troops of Bernardo de Galvez in the American Revolution  (Read 383 times)

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Troops of Bernardo de Galvez in the American Revolution
« on: August 17, 2022, 05:09:34 AM »
I have a brigade of four infantry regiments plus one general, Galvez of course, and one gun for Spanish allies.  Tonight I decided to try Google for resources for painting these figures - I plan to paint them first of all - and had some very good luck finding information that will allow me to move forward.

First there is this site: http://www.uniformology.com/WORLD-10B-SPN.html. It provides numerous color plates to guide my painting and even helpfully lists a number of units that served under Galvez and even the man himself.

Next is this site: https://stars.library.ucf.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2986&context=fhq.  That site lists an order of battle for Pensacola, at least for the Spanish troops and, nicely, many of the units line up wit illustrations in the first link.

Just posting for the benefit of others.

When I need more Spanish for any historical battle, I will simply use some of my French as stand-ins.

My 250th anniversary of the beginning of the AWI project is moving along.  I now have bases for all of my cavalry units (added four new today for the hypothetical but not historical heavy cavalry for what-ifs and imagination like games today).  I only need 14 more units of infantry bases to have all infantry bases primed and ready.  I am over half way with having artillery and general bases ready to go.  Now just need to sort out the basing for unarmed civilians - rather more than I really need but I have them so I paint them (eventually), the limbers and carts, and the mounted civilians, really just excess figures for limbers from one line of figures.  I am closing in on having a bit over half of my infantry and good chunk of generals and guns primed and ready for painting.  Having everything prepped, primed, and pre-based for painting should greatly help with the goal to have it all painted - no later than July 4, 2026, but hopefully April 19, 2025.  We shall see how it goes.

I have a self-imposed painting quota for August and painting the AWI Spanish will be a big step in meeting my goal.  Add in some additional AWI figures and I can meet the total goal, Loyalists likely to provide the Spanish some opposition.  (Will also be painting, hopefully, elephants and giraffes unrelated to the AWI to do some quota 'catching up' if time permits.)

Enjoy the above links if they are useful to you.

Offline Baron von Wreckedoften

• Mad Scientist
Re: Troops of Bernardo de Galvez in the American Revolution
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2022, 01:05:03 PM »
Sounds like an excellent - and unusual - AWI project.  Well done!

On the subject of Spanish AWI figures, you can also use them for French Colonial infantry, who had single-breasted coats without lapels.  Not perfect, but good enough with the right paint job.
No plan survives first contact with the dice.