Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:11:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: WW2 Terrain - where to buy?  (Read 1452 times)

Offline Tom Dulski

• Mad Scientist
  • BOOKWORM
WW2 Terrain - where to buy?
« on: August 17, 2022, 12:03:35 PM »
I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestion on where to buy WW2 terrain. I'm looking for places that have bunkers, pillboxes, ruined buildings and so forth.

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
Re: WW2 Terrain - where to buy?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2022, 12:48:48 PM »
Tom, you don't indicate your preferred scale or painted, unpainted, resin or Mdf. You could look at Hovels ( resin), Lancer Miniatures ( resin), Ironclad ( resin ) or Empires at War, Sarissa Precision or Charlie Foxtrot ( Mdf).

Offline .:Gunslinger:.

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2022, 03:05:37 PM »
I would add Total Battle Miniatures for some really nice resin buildings.

Offline Dubar

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2022, 03:17:26 PM »
I've been wondering if I could take a baking sheet and pour some kind of plaster into it, scribe a brick/stone pattern on it, then cut it into wall sections.
The crow flies at midnight

Offline RichBliss

• Librarian
  • With Lipbalm-Puce in the Congo
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2022, 05:46:30 PM »
I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestion on where to buy WW2 terrain. I'm looking for places that have bunkers, pillboxes, ruined buildings and so forth.

I don’t know how much is available.   Ost of the surviving terrain is part of parks and memorials.  There might be some plots in Germany available.  😜

Offline Tom Dulski

• Mad Scientist
  • BOOKWORM
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2022, 12:05:33 AM »
Tom, you don't indicate your preferred scale or painted, unpainted, resin or Mdf. You could look at Hovels ( resin), Lancer Miniatures ( resin), Ironclad ( resin ) or Empires at War, Sarissa Precision or Charlie Foxtrot ( Mdf).

Sorry meant to add 28mm, unpainted resin would be preferred.

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2022, 04:24:57 AM »
Hi, Ironclad produce 28mm field fortifications and trenches. Total Battle do very buildings which are quite pricey. Grand Manner produce a small range of field fortifications and Eastern Front buildings.1st Corps also produce a small range of field fortifications and Eastern Front stuff. I suspect the high price of resin 28mm stuff plus large shipping costs is why most people now opt for MdF especially for buildings.   

Offline Martello Towers

• Schoolboy
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2022, 06:07:56 AM »
Mantic have quite a few sets suitable from the checkpoint set (appropriately enough called Checkpoint Tango), through Battle Damaged House, Battlefield Debris, and Battlefield Ruins:

https://www.manticgames.com/games/terrain-crate/terraincrate-battlefield-ruins/

There are also undamaged versions available for the same pieces in other sets (like the Town Square):

https://www.manticgames.com/games/terrain-crate/modern-terrain-crate/large-box-modern-terrain-crate/town-square/

These are all in plastic.

Offline Etranger

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2022, 09:05:57 AM »
I've been wondering if I could take a baking sheet and pour some kind of plaster into it, scribe a brick/stone pattern on it, then cut it into wall sections.

You could, but it would be time consuming and very fragile. why not simply buy plastic or resin versions?
"It's only a flesh wound...."

Offline Dubar

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2022, 09:19:22 AM »

You could, but it would be time consuming and very fragile. why not simply buy plastic or resin versions?

Yeah I know, but at least you could (1) make as many as you need and (2) make what you want.

Actually, I've made things, in the much larger 1/6 scale, using liquid fiberglass resin and hardener.  Been a long time but that may be the way I will go.  Also made parts using Smooth-On products.  Now ya got me thinking!!!

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2022, 12:15:38 PM »
Find a mate with a 3d printer, buy or download some STL files and give him a few bucks for some print materials.

Either that, or if you need a few, make a master in Balsa or similar, make a mould using low heat silicon and cast yourself with two part resin.

As was said above, postage is a killer.
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---

Offline Rick F

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2022, 09:05:04 PM »
I'll second Total Battle Miniatures, excellent buildings, some with battle damage or ruined
https://www.totalbattleminiatures.com/28mm-ss-western-europe

Offline Etranger

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2022, 09:54:49 AM »
Yeah I know, but at least you could (1) make as many as you need and (2) make what you want.

Actually, I've made things, in the much larger 1/6 scale, using liquid fiberglass resin and hardener.  Been a long time but that may be the way I will go.  Also made parts using Smooth-On products.  Now ya got me thinking!!!

Thinking about it, these days you can get texture rollers for walls etc, to use with DAS or similar airdrying clay.

Offline Dubar

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2022, 12:48:01 PM »
Thinking about it, these days you can get texture rollers for walls etc, to use with DAS or similar airdrying clay.

I mentioned these types of rollers on an O-scale train forum once, found them here:

https://www.michtoy.com/michtoy_search_product.php?Vendor_ID=Green%20Stuff%20World%20International&Series=Green%20Stuff%20World%20-%20Rolling%20Pins&view_mode=thumbnails