Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:11:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686637
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Spanish Civil War Counterfactual Scenarios  (Read 1500 times)

Offline MiniPigs

• Librarian
Spanish Civil War Counterfactual Scenarios
« on: August 18, 2022, 01:40:14 AM »
I know there is already plenty of chaos to choose from for SCW games but does anyone ever add "what if "interventions like German or Soviet ground troops; or a German or Italian paratroop commando squad to extricate an important prisoner or a U-Boat crew making a rapid depot attack?

Perhaps some French or British intervention? More as an excuse to use Crusader miniatures great early French motorcycle figures than any other need.

Offline Lluís of Minairons

• Scientist
    • Minairons miniatures
Re: Spanish Civil War Counterfactual Scenarios
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2022, 12:40:35 PM »
Now it comes to my mind something potentially useful to your purposes.

As for what I read from a catalan language History magazine some time ago, by early 1939 there was great concern among Italian intelligence media about a possible French intervention in the case that, after the Republican Ebro offensive stalled, the Nationalists crossed in turn and started the invasion of Catalonia.

So concerned they were, that even Mussolini himself warned Franco about the matter, as papers retrieved by that magazine proved. Now we know that, if actually existing, the threat was ignored by Franco (counseled by better information from German intelligence perhaps?), so he started the invasion of Catalonia and nothing happened from France, beyond borders reopening.

However, these apparently misleading clues gathered by Italy do pose the question on what could have happened if they were'nt wrong.

In my humble opinion, there is little room for a premature start of WWII, because Hitler wouldn't dare to get engaged in an open conflict with France yet - because the Molotov-Ribbentrop non-aggression pact was still to be negotiated. However, the situation could easily lead to some sort of European Khalkhin Gol style limited engagement, that would severely condition the WWII ultimate outbreak.

Or?

Cheers,
Lluís
« Last Edit: August 25, 2022, 12:50:21 PM by Lluís of Minairons »
"Nations that went down fighting rose again, but those who surrendered tamely were finished" - W. Churchill

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2022, 05:13:25 PM »
Now you've got me thinking.

I've got two large SCW armies and a French M/C platoon. That could be great.

There's no way this was ever even close to happening, but what about a flying column of French M/C elite troops breaking through encircling Nationalists to create a corridor for retreating Republicans (with some suitable VIP that has to survive) to get through to France?

Offline MiniPigs

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2022, 02:55:30 AM »
This is exactly right, it's about opening up scenarios and also getting to use figures like a British naval landing party from HMS Lollipop to to steal a German tank for research purposes.

What smaller nations did the two sides ask for help from? Did the Spanish government ask for aid from Hungary, Belgium, Denmark, Romania, Holland or Poland?

Offline Moriarty

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2022, 05:48:35 AM »
According to Wiki, Mexico was a supporter of the Republican cause . . .

• Scientist
    • Minairons miniatures
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2022, 10:38:15 AM »

Yes as for what I know, Mexico was the strongest ally the Spanish Republic enjoyed all long the conflict, after the USSR. As a matter of fact, Mexico never recognized Franco's regime, so the sole Spanish Embassy in Mexico until late 1970s was that one of the Republic.

The only European country that occasionally showed a short-lived sympathy for the Spanish Republic was France (highly depending on their own precarious political balances, though). As for the rest of Europe, well... most of them either followed the British Tories' doctrine that 'better a fascist Spain than a communist one', or were under military dictatorships already - circumstance that didn't prevent these latter to happily get rid off their obsolete military stocks by selling them lower hand to the Republic.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2022, 11:07:38 AM by Lluís of Minairons »

• Scientist
    • Minairons miniatures
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2022, 10:49:31 AM »
...to steal a German tank for research purposes.

There's a quite widespread myth down here, about the Germans sending a single PzKpfw IV ausf. A prototype in Spain for secret evaluation purposes, and then quickly dispatching it back home afterwards. Let's suppose there's factual background behind the myth and that a French or British special ops. squad is sent to verify it (or even to steal it?)

https://tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/germany/panzer_iv.php

• Scientist
    • Minairons miniatures
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2022, 11:03:26 AM »
There's no way this was ever even close to happening, but what about a flying column of French M/C elite troops breaking through encircling Nationalists to create a corridor for retreating Republicans (with some suitable VIP that has to survive) to get through to France?

An excellent scenario for such what-if setting might be the shire of Cerdanya (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cerdanya), a large valley amidst the Pyrenees which is politically divided evenly between France and Spain, with even a Spanish exclave in French trerritory!

Due to its orography (a wide, long valley amidst steep mountains), Cerdanya would be wildly suitable for a limited mechanized/armoured operation like that one you had in mind.

Besides, the frontier post between the towns of Puigcerdà and Guingueta d'Ix (Bourg-madame in French) was a dramatic focal point of the Republican exile, with a flight of Polikarpovs fiercely dogfighting any Nationalist aircraft daring to threat the long columns fleeing to the safety of French border - virtually fighting for their own families!

Does it help some way?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2022, 11:05:54 AM by Lluís of Minairons »

Offline MiniPigs

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2022, 02:25:24 PM »

Mexican advisors finding their way to helping the Republicans. Sort of a reverse, Mexican Adventure.

Offline MiniPigs

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2022, 02:30:35 PM »
An excellent scenario for such what-if setting might be the shire of Cerdanya (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cerdanya), a large valley amidst the Pyrenees which is politically divided evenly between France and Spain, with even a Spanish exclave in French trerritory!

Due to its orography (a wide, long valley amidst steep mountains), Cerdanya would be wildly suitable for a limited mechanized/armoured operation like that one you had in mind.

Besides, the frontier post between the towns of Puigcerdà and Guingueta d'Ix (Bourg-madame in French) was a dramatic focal point of the Republican exile, with a flight of Polikarpovs fiercely dogfighting any Nationalist aircraft daring to threat the long columns fleeing to the safety of French border - virtually fighting for their own families!

Does it help some way?

I could also see French Foreign Legion elements arriving in the South from Morocco to help evacuate Republican refugees.  They have orders to not engage unless fired upon by encroaching Nationalist forces.

Offline MiniPigs

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2022, 02:43:43 PM »
There's a quite widespread myth down here, about the Germans sending a single PzKpfw IV ausf. A prototype in Spain for secret evaluation purposes, and then quickly dispatching it back home afterwards. Let's suppose there's factual background behind the myth and that a French or British special ops. squad is sent to verify it (or even to steal it?)

https://tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/germany/panzer_iv.php

What would be a British special ops unit of the time? Maybe Household Brigade yeomanry mounted on horses for a quiet, hard to detect strike on a Condor Legion base?

• Scientist
    • Minairons miniatures
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2022, 04:02:39 PM »
Eagerly looking forward to it displayed on tabletop!

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2022, 07:32:36 PM »
What would be a British special ops unit of the time? Maybe Household Brigade yeomanry mounted on horses for a quiet, hard to detect strike on a Condor Legion base?

I don't think we (the Brits) really had SO units inter-war. They grew out of WW2 (unless someone knows different). If there was going to be any kind of Special Ops, I think the Brits would come through the International Brigades, like Jordan in For Whom The Bell Tolls.

Royal Navy personal could be involved in a scenario. The ships operated off the coast, author Laurie Lee was rescued by a battleship, and the RN was involved in the transfer of power in Menorca. I don't think it would be too far fetched to imagine an escalation event where British sailors land to get involved.

Offline MiniPigs

• Librarian
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2022, 01:41:03 PM »
I don't think we (the Brits) really had SO units inter-war. They grew out of WW2 (unless someone knows different). If there was going to be any kind of Special Ops, I think the Brits would come through the International Brigades, like Jordan in For Whom The Bell Tolls.

Royal Navy personal could be involved in a scenario. The ships operated off the coast, author Laurie Lee was rescued by a battleship, and the RN was involved in the transfer of power in Menorca. I don't think it would be too far fetched to imagine an escalation event where British sailors land to get involved.

Did the RN ever carry Royal Marines and any heavy weapons or vehicles?

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2022, 06:57:47 PM »
I don't know if there were RMs on battleships during the 1930s. I do know their numbers had been seriously reduced, even suggested disbandment. I suspect there wasn't hvy weapons or vehicles, unless specifically for a mission.