Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:15:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Caballero, sorry "Reconquer" range 28mm Spanish 3D printed foot  (Read 1859 times)

Offline madaxeman

• Scientist
    • Madaxeman.com
Having tried some scaled-up 10mm Etruscans recently my other dabble into 3D printed figures has been at the exact opposite end of the scale, with some Reconquer Designs (until recently known as Caballero Miniatures) Medieval Spanish spearmen.

These figures look astonishing in the renders, and so I bought a packet at a show and painted some up to match the style of some existing metals (in my "not professional, but hopefully decent on the tabletop in a mass battle game" standard) I had for the same army.  And here they are:

These didn't have bases, so after thinking about drilling into their heels to put a pin into them and the base I instead realised that they'd be so huddled together on a 60x40 DBx base that I could instead glue them all together into a single lump! This in turn meant there was just one "thing" to handle, and it would have multiple points of contact with the MDF base making it far more robust than if the figures had been based "individually"

These next ones are shown next to some North Star ("Wooh!!") Norman spearmen for comparison.

I gave every one a metal spear. Some came with open hands for spears, and others with open hands and printed swords. These were a complete nonsense, and broke as soon as you looked at them so I gave up almost immediately and just went all-metal, all-spear.

These figures are superbly animated, so much so they are a little wasted in this close formation - but being able to glue them together for mutual support did solve a basing problem, and its how I need them to be anyway so it does still look quite cool IMHO. 

They are great figures, superb sculpts - but they do currently come at a price which puts even metal alternatives as a much, much cheaper option (never mind plastic kit figures) if you are buying them printed by a 3rd party. I have no idea how they work out if you buy the STL files I'm afraid.

They can be bought from Britcon 2022 exhibitor Irongate Scenery in the UK.

A few more pics on my site at https://madaxemandotcom.blogspot.com/
Web: Madaxeman.com
On Twitter: twitter.com
On Facebook:  facebook.com
Devon holiday?: The Captains Cottage Brixham

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
Re: Caballero, sorry "Reconquer" range 28mm Spanish 3D printed foot
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2022, 08:50:42 PM »
Very cool!

These figures are superbly animated, so much so they are a little wasted in this close formation

Not wasted at all - even if you perhaps don't appreciate the poses of the individual figures quite so much like this, the overall effect is of a closely-knit group with a real sense of character and movement. It looks much more dynamic and exciting than the North Star base.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2022, 09:31:27 PM »
Those are some very dynamic poses - they make a great base of figures

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2022, 04:42:19 AM »
Caballero's range can also be bought from Fenland Miniatures in the UK.  They are much cheaper ( half  the price?) than Irongate but I think you may have to remove the "3D supports" yourself, whilst Irongate come ready to hit the painting table. I guess you can choose between a higher price and having to so some work yourself.

Fenland were meant to be at Britcon last Saturday but apparently were a "no show".  They have been closed since May as they moved premises but apparently re-opened for business last week. Maybe their stock levels were too low to warrant a stand? 

At Partizan in May my mates bought me some Fenland "El Cid Spanish" as a retirement present, and I now want to add to them to complete my army.  Unfortunately they don't appear too good at answering e-mails ( eg P&P rate?, so rather than send then a big order and be disappointed, I plan a small-ish one to test their service and quality.   

Offline madaxeman

• Scientist
    • Madaxeman.com
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2022, 10:19:00 AM »
Caballero's range can also be bought from Fenland Miniatures in the UK.  They are much cheaper ( half  the price?) than Irongate but I think you may have to remove the "3D supports" yourself, whilst Irongate come ready to hit the painting table. I guess you can choose between a higher price and having to so some work yourself.

Fenland were meant to be at Britcon last Saturday but apparently were a "no show".  They have been closed since May as they moved premises but apparently re-opened for business last week. Maybe their stock levels were too low to warrant a stand? 

At Partizan in May my mates bought me some Fenland "El Cid Spanish" as a retirement present, and I now want to add to them to complete my army.  Unfortunately they don't appear too good at answering e-mails ( eg P&P rate?, so rather than send then a big order and be disappointed, I plan a small-ish one to test their service and quality.

I actually got these from Fenland up at Hammerhead earlier in the year, but given their no-show at Britcon (and complete lack of contact with the organiser  ... erm, me .. about it) I was rather skeptical they would return from holiday.  The website does look like its now alive again though.   

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2022, 11:56:51 AM »
I bought a sample pack at Partizan last October and am pretty sure they were much cheaper then than now.

Pretty bad that they "no showed" with no notice.

I wait with bated breath to see if they answer my e-mail albeit not holding it. I contacted them last year and never got a reply so I moved on to another project.

Offline Tonhel

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2022, 09:10:31 AM »
Great work! You really made it work as a unit!

I am a patron of his patreon page and his stuff is wonderful.

But imo 3d printing is only good, when you print it yourself. Than it's much cheaper than buying resin / metal mini's and now after using it more than a year, so the amount of mini's printed it's starting to rival my metal / plastic pile of shame. It's even cheaper than buying plastic miniatures.

Here, the on the first page of my plog https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=130545.0 I write a little bit about my first steps in 3d printing.

When you print it yourself you also chose the resin that will be used and etc... I.e I like the printed spears so much that I started to replacing my plastic and brass spears from my metal mini's and replacing it with those printed spears. As my experience is that they are extremely durable. In his August release he had also included a Dane-Axe, which was very usefull as I will now start using that axe for i.e the V&V resin miniatures.

Buying mini's that someone else printed is sadly very expensive for army building.

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2022, 01:55:45 PM »
I like the printed spears so much that I started to replacing my plastic and brass spears from my metal mini's and replacing it with those printed spears. As my experience is that they are extremely durable.

I am sorry for going slightly off topic. But what resin do you use. I find that the weapons are much to fragile. I have painted both bows and spears from Caballero and enden up discarding them. It might be the resin that I use.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2022, 03:48:52 PM »
If anyone had asked me five years ago if 3D printed 28mm models were ever going to replace metals and hard plastics I would have laughed. Mind, I said the same thing about the first Perry ACW boxes of hard plastics which suggests that I definitely do have a somewhat recalcitrant nature when it comes to toy soldiers.

However, the Reconquer range is clearly outstanding- the dynamic movement in each miniature, the level of detail is all absolutely top notch.

Nice paintjob too Madaxeman!  8)

Offline Tonhel

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2022, 04:58:42 PM »
I am sorry for going slightly off topic. But what resin do you use. I find that the weapons are much to fragile. I have painted both bows and spears from Caballero and enden up discarding them. It might be the resin that I use.

I use phrozen Aqua Resin Ivory 4K, but if you cure to long it is more fragile.