Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 10:39:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690500
  • Total Topics: 118334
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Oil Washes on Historical Miniatures?  (Read 2611 times)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: Oil Washes on Historical Miniatures?
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2022, 05:45:11 AM »
Use artists’ quality white spirit. It’s less astringent, completely odourless, and provides a much smoother carrier medium for the oil pigment than household/decorators’ white spirit.
Oil washes are incredibly thin because oil paint is incredibly highly pigmented. Any oil paint brand will do, and I’ve used several different ones with no discernible difference in results. You need a tiny amount of oil paint in a wash of artists’ white spirit. Like one part oil pigment to 20 parts white spirit. Used in this ratio, the oil paint wash dries in a few minutes. Yes neat oil paint takes days to dry. A heavily thinned oil wash takes no time at all. You can build it up in layers if you want to increase the effect. Burnt Sienna, Burnt Umber, Payne’s Grey, Raw Umber are my go to colours for washes and for weathering effects.

Online Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2022, 05:48:47 AM »
Do you need to seal the acryilcs with a matt/gloss varnish or someting like klear floor wax?

I've always understood that it was necessary to stop the white spirit/turps attacking the acryliics, although when I've done it myself, I often run into the problem of the spirits making the underlying varnish go permenently tacky.

Apparently, from all the vids I've watched thus far, as long as you get a good solid and most importantly consistent base coat of acrylic paint, you will avoid tiny gaps" in the acrylic where the oil may seep under and blister the acrylic paint. This would obviously ruin any paint job which is a concern.

I've only watched Sci Fi and Fantasy videos so far (with one or two exceptions which were less than impressive) so the technique could be different of historical miniatures with less prominent detail.....  ???

Online Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2022, 06:00:46 AM »
Use artists’ quality white spirit. It’s less astringent, completely odourless, and provides a much smoother carrier medium for the oil pigment than household/decorators’ white spirit.

Already ordered :) I used to use at when painting on canvas as I had an allergic reaction to using run of the mill white spirit. I had to wear protective gloves which i found were very restrictive when it came to handling the brush so switched over to something called Mineral Spirits. That way I could do away with the gloves and get the freedom back in my hand "gestures".

Oil washes are incredibly thin because oil paint is incredibly highly pigmented. Any oil paint brand will do, and I’ve used several different ones with no discernible difference in results. You need a tiny amount of oil paint in a wash of artists’ white spirit. Like one part oil pigment to 20 parts white spirit. Used in this ratio, the oil paint wash dries in a few minutes. Yes neat oil paint takes days to dry. A heavily thinned oil wash takes no time at all. You can build it up in layers if you want to increase the effect. Burnt Sienna, Burnt Umber, Payne’s Grey, Raw Umber are my go to colours for washes and for weathering effects.

All duly notes, and in some cases remembered :) I have some 20 year old paints including some made up of Lapis Lazuli! (Ultramarine; I used to buy all my pigments/paints as pure as I could afford). I'm wondering if I could save on money and use my old paints that are sitting in the garage as long as they have not gone off (this can happen with some old oil paints)? Mind, they have suffered the ravages of many a hot summer and cold winter so maybe not.....

I've noticed that Element sell a range called Abteilung, which the manufacturer states are meant for miniature painting- does anone have any experience of using these paints? Apparently less linseed oil so a quicker drying time.

Note the Abteilung range does not appear to be for classic washes. For those I will have to try out other manufacturers if anyone can recommend any?

Offline Dags

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2022, 07:22:42 AM »
Yeah, I've got them - smaller tubes and more expensive for no noticeable difference in effect

Online Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2022, 07:41:44 AM »
Yeah, I've got them - smaller tubes and more expensive for no noticeable difference in effect

Thanks, that's interesting mate. What oils would you recommend? Common-or-garden Winsor & Newton Winton, Daler Rowney (probably not) or any other makes?

Online 2010sunburst

• Scientist
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2022, 08:15:46 AM »
I’ve used Winton for years, only moving to Artist quality if I can’t find the colour I want.  A good tip to ensuring they dry more quickly and more matt is to leach out some of the oil before use.  To do this, squeeze out your oils onto a square of cardboard and leave it for a few minutes.  The cardboard soaks up the excess oil and you can use the oil paint as usual.  Abteilung are useful if you don’t want to mix colours, and are designed for modellers who want to try techniques like oil dot rendering on their models.  However, if you don’t want to mix colours then oils are probably not for you in the first place……and if you do mix colours,  then a starter set of Wintons will give you all the options you need at a much lower price.

Offline Dags

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2022, 08:34:48 AM »

Thanks, that's interesting mate. What oils would you recommend? Common-or-garden Winsor & Newton Winton, Daler Rowney (probably not) or any other makes?

Honestly,  I'm not the person to ask as I use them so rarely (and then mostly for weathering vehicles). But in my extreme paint junkie phase I got a set of W&N and then the Abteilung ones. Had them at least 10 years now and, other than the occasional stuck lid needing pliers to shift, they're still good to go.

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2022, 08:50:27 AM »
I have the Abteilung  oils, they’re pretty good, mix them with enamels fairly regularly too. As I understand it Scale 75 have just released oils which are probably decent,I’ve been using their artist acrylics paints for awhile which are excellent .
I would get some colours you like and have a go, Richard’s suggestions are excellent,I would add Sepia  :)
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Online Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2022, 02:27:36 PM »
I’ve used Winton for years, only moving to Artist quality if I can’t find the colour I want.  A good tip to ensuring they dry more quickly and more matt is to leach out some of the oil before use.  To do this, squeeze out your oils onto a square of cardboard and leave it for a few minutes.  The cardboard soaks up the excess oil and you can use the oil paint as usual.  Abteilung are useful if you don’t want to mix colours, and are designed for modellers who want to try techniques like oil dot rendering on their models.  However, if you don’t want to mix colours then oils are probably not for you in the first place……and if you do mix colours,  then a starter set of Wintons will give you all the options you need at a much lower price.

Thanks, I don;t mind mixing as, despite the mess, I've been guilty of mixing them up for canvas, though granted, a different prospect altogether.

Honestly,  I'm not the person to ask as I use them so rarely (and then mostly for weathering vehicles). But in my extreme paint junkie phase I got a set of W&N and then the Abteilung ones. Had them at least 10 years now and, other than the occasional stuck lid needing pliers to shift, they're still good to go.

Thanks mate.

I have the Abteilung  oils, they’re pretty good, mix them with enamels fairly regularly too. As I understand it Scale 75 have just released oils which are probably decent,I’ve been using their artist acrylics paints for awhile which are excellent .
I would get some colours you like and have a go, Richard’s suggestions are excellent,I would add Sepia  :)

Ah, Scale 75 might be the way to go. Lots to think about guys so thanks for the time out to reply  8)

Offline Reed

• Mad Scientist
  • Once bought, must be painted.
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2022, 04:18:59 PM »
Oils seem to be the new fad in the wargaming world, judging by Youtube. I do recognise they are another handy tool to have, considering their strong point is also their weakness: the slower drying times. I use them for washing/pin washing, but I'm increasingly using them with an acrylic paint consistency to wet-blend and do colour gradients. Much more simple this way than with acrylics, once you learn how they behave.

Online Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2022, 06:41:14 PM »
pin washing

Pin washing? I'm lost  :)

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2022, 07:31:53 PM »
pin washing, thin oil paint to very liquid consistency, apply a tiny amount to panel lines and detail lines and let capillary action wick the oils along the detail. Very useful for vehicles.
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---

Online Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2022, 09:03:48 PM »
pin washing, thin oil paint to very liquid consistency, apply a tiny amount to panel lines and detail lines and let capillary action wick the oils along the detail. Very useful for vehicles.

Thanks. Do you have a link to a vid perchance? Might be more useful for me to visualise the process.

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2022, 11:45:59 PM »
Darrel ,
Just Google pin washes, you’ll get all the answers you need. :)

Online Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2022, 11:08:24 AM »
Darrel ,
Just Google pin washes, you’ll get all the answers you need. :)

Of course! A big "duh" on my part!

I think I was having an off day yesterday.... and perhaps a while before yesterday too  lol