Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:25:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686595
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Fireforge Almughavars (28mm multipart plastics)  (Read 1185 times)

Offline madaxeman

• Scientist
    • Madaxeman.com
Fireforge Almughavars (28mm multipart plastics)
« on: August 19, 2022, 06:21:37 PM »
Yes, in my gradual and partly accidental attempt to create a 28mm Feudal Spanish/Sicilian Norman type army, the next unit on the testing line is some Fireforge Almughavars

I bought these from Dave Thomas up at Britcon last weekend, and quickly put together a unit/base from 6 of the 24 figures in the box, undercoated them in black, did a bit of highlighting in white (a cheapskates Azimuth Spray I guess) then set to work with normal paints and some Army Painter washes.

They have gone together very neatly - every set of arms is mail-clad, which makes joining them to some of the torsos a bit easier as you don't have to get a perfect match with the cloth/tabard guys shoulders. 

Dave From The Podcast keeps telling me Almughavars didn't have shields, but there weren't quite enough left arms on a sprue to do all 6 guys without shields, so maybe I am reflecting the balance of academic views on this (if its about 83% of scholars think they were unshielded, 17% think they were shielded).

The figures look a bit cartoonish on the box art, but having painted and based them I suspect that impression is down to Foreforge's painters style rather than anything inherent in the figures.

They came with square plastic bases, but I didn't want to have to build up the baseplate with filler to hide these, so instead pinned a leg on each dude to the MDF base - being hard plastic they were very easy to drill with a pin vise.

They are also normal sized - some Fireforge stuff is a bit big - and their spears have been made to a sensible non-easily-breaking thickness too, unlike some of Fireforge's earlier Arab cavalry bows, which I have already. They come with glue-on swords, scabbards, pouches etc allowing them to be well customized

These were (of course) given the Army Painter effect to leave them with a dirty Middle Ages feel.

Taking the photos I realised I'd not gone back to do their helmet nose-guards in gunmetal, so that's now been done - just squint and I'm sure you can imagine it in metallic silver!

All in all I am very happy with them, and once the other 18 are done I will have a very nice (and if anything more "realistic" than the box art and unpainted figures might suggest) set of 24 Catalan Almughavars.

More pics on my blog at https://madaxemandotcom.blogspot.com/

Web: Madaxeman.com
On Twitter: twitter.com
On Facebook:  facebook.com
Devon holiday?: The Captains Cottage Brixham

Online Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Fireforge Almughavars (28mm multipart plastics)
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2022, 09:56:13 PM »
Nice job on those! Personally, I like having the shield in the mix, it adds a bit of vivid colour.

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
Re: Fireforge Almughavars (28mm multipart plastics)
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2022, 02:46:29 AM »
I actually quite like the figures- they look very useful and I like how you have treated them; but I was under the impression that Almughavars at this time were more like skirmishing light infantry, unarmoured and lightly armed.