Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 08:51:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Could there be a GW minis range for Rings of Power?  (Read 1299 times)

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
Could there be a GW minis range for Rings of Power?
« on: August 22, 2022, 11:56:43 AM »
As Zorpazorp says, it all hinges on how well received the first season happens to be:

That said, head swaps might solve it for some of the characters.  At least from what I see in the trailers and other promos.

Thoughts?

Dan

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
Re: Could there be a GW minis range for Rings of Power?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2022, 10:16:18 PM »
This may influence things https://spikeybits.com/2022/08/asmodee-parent-company-gets-licensing-rights-for-lotr.html

Also the GW website seems to have less Lord of the Rings miniatures  available at the moment...

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2022, 10:45:51 PM »
GW is about to release a new Starter Box and 4 Battlehosts this winter. I also believe their contract goes another 5 more years.
I'd guess the lack of models on the site are because 1) some are being repackaged for these new boxes and 2) gamers buying up complimentary models to go with these new boxes.

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2022, 12:03:56 AM »
GW is about to release a new Starter Box and 4 Battlehosts this winter. I also believe their contract goes another 5 more years.
I'd guess the lack of models on the site are because 1) some are being repackaged for these new boxes and 2) gamers buying up complimentary models to go with these new boxes.

I had also heard about the remaining 5 years in the license.  Had not heard about that other company in the link above.

Dan

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2022, 12:22:46 AM »
What is the source on the info about the length of time on the GW license?
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2022, 12:35:02 AM »
I think I heard about the 5-year contract left from someone on Zorpazorp.  And it might have been a year ago, which explains why I’m not sure of the source.

Dan

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2022, 12:05:36 PM »
I don't know much of anything about how these things work, but wasn't the original contract all tied in with New Line Cinema and however that corporation linked to the Tolkien estate? If so, there'd probably need to be a new contract to enable new models for the new series to happen.
Also, everyone knew the movies would be massive, but there's less certainty over these 'spin-off' series and there are huge implications for SBG including possibly brand new (or at least 'revised') factions so it would be a huge undertaking to revise the rules, lists and model ranges to take in a series that may or may not be successful enough long term.

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2022, 02:57:03 AM »
I don't think there will be unless there's a different deal made there.

GW is already limited with what they can make for the game at hand because of the licenses they have (I remember there being questions about if they could make minis based off of older art and other versions of the hobbit/LotR and stated that it wasn't covered in the specifics of the licenses).

There's already the statement that they couldn't get Peter Jacksons help with the Rings of Power (because he came out with the comment about them, initially, asking if he'd like to help go over the script, and he agreed but they didn't contact him again there...and they made the statement that they weren't allowed to do so), which adds to the belief that it's not something that would cross over there.

Hell, there's rumors that one of the reasons that Amazon's Rings of Power MMO got canceled was due to issues with specific areas that hit the boundaries and Standing Stone got there first with LotRO because the appendixes were included.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2022, 11:21:40 AM »
This may influence things https://spikeybits.com/2022/08/asmodee-parent-company-gets-licensing-rights-for-lotr.html

Also the GW website seems to have less Lord of the Rings miniatures  available at the moment...

Embracer Group bought the company known as "Middle Earth Enterprises" which is where GW's licence to produce MESBG product originates. Their press release does cover the potential of external 3rd party licensing (as well as internal licensing to their own Asmodee/FFG Tolkein based game lines) but does not confirm it.
GW will have to re-licence MESBG to keep it going anyway, previously they were licensing from a media corporation with no "games" subsidiary, now they will have to licence it from another  company with an active gaming portfolio.

Presumably GW could still licence with Amazon direct about the Rings series rights, but I think it likely Embracer will want that option for Asmodee/FFG (and they have far more ££ to play with than GW). GW going over their heads direct to Amazon could mean winning that licence but then losing their existing MESBG rights.

There hvave been discussions regarding the future of the figure lines on The One Ring since the Amazon series was announced, it is a corporate/legal nightmare.