Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:52:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690652
  • Total Topics: 118342
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Things learned after watching a million D&D vids during lockdown  (Read 1177 times)

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
ME?
I’ll start the list with:  I learned that, for D&D players, terrain making is called “crafting”, and stone blocks are called “bricks”.

Seriously though, I learned not to be afraid to do projects that require making and laying a ton of tiny individual foam blocks.  Now that takes cojones!

YOU?
How about the rest of you non-D&D gamers?  Did you find yourself watching a ton of D&D vids, that you didn’t know existed, during lockdown?  If so, what did you like, dislike or plain found interesting and useful for wargaming purposes?

Dan
PS.  I must confess that the only vids I watched were those related to terrain making.  :)

« Last Edit: August 23, 2022, 11:47:56 PM by Cacique Caribe »

Offline Khusru2

• Librarian
    • Travels with Khusru
Re: Things learned after watching a million D&D vids during lockdown
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2022, 02:25:09 PM »
Hi! I found, like live wargames, watching people go through a live game is totally boring. Talk about rambling on.

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2022, 04:12:23 AM »
LOL.  True.

I think that, in most videos with lots of routine actions and “dead air,” the main person will always try to ad lib and fill in that “dead air” with random thoughts.  No matter the topic of the video.

Dan

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2022, 09:40:17 AM »
ME?
I’ll start the list with:  I learned that, for D&D players, terrain making is called “crafting”, and stone blocks are called “bricks”.

Seriously though, I learned not to be afraid to do projects that require making and laying a ton of tiny individual foam blocks.  Now that takes cojones!

YOU?
How about the rest of you non-D&D gamers?  Did you find yourself watching a ton of D&D vids, that you didn’t know existed, during lockdown?  If so, what did you like, dislike or plain found interesting and useful for wargaming purposes?

Dan
PS.  I must confess that the only vids I watched were those related to terrain making.  :)

Crafting is more often used on a general term than just with terrain making, it refers to everything from terrain to minis to props to pretty much anything else.

For example, maps and letters getting the various aging techniques for paper as a basic thing that many start with like soaking it in thinned tea after tearing the edges and, perhaps, adding a few burns.

The brick thing actually is due to chunks of the building style coming from the dollhouse and diorama side of things where there are some people with the insanity to actually build things with at scale bricks and building techniques...that led into that term ending up in both the RPG crafting and terrain building side. It also helps that it also meshes with things like LEGO bricks that a lot of people are used to as well.

I'd mainly watched a lot of the RPG crafting stuff as a lot more of it translates to the more skirmish board stuff than most of the basic wargaming ones where they tend to have most of it as the boxes without interiors for things, though that's merging more and more now. I also like a lot of the diorama builders/railroaders to see what they're coming up with, though it's far more rare for me to actually use them as a lot of their work, while looking awesome, tend to end up, well, fragile and degrade with play.

As a side note, it's interesting to see several of the paranormal podcasters shifting into some RPG content.

Expanded Perspectives seem to have a RPG/Minis/Wargaming segment in most of their episodes now (And they're going to be at ReaperCon this year, unfortunately, I'll be unable to attend), and World Bigfoot Radio just released a tutorial for making cycads for your table.

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2022, 05:23:51 AM »
Good points.  However, after hearing the term “crafting” in entirely different contexts, I can’t help but imagine boxes full of ribbons and potpourri whenever I hear it.  :)

As for “bricks”, if they aren’t made from mud or clay, they aren’t bricks.  If made of stone or concrete, they are just blocks.

Dan

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2022, 05:25:55 AM »
Good points.  However, after hearing the term “crafting” in entirely different contexts, I can’t help but imagine boxes full of ribbons and potpourri whenever I hear it.  :)

As for “bricks”, if they aren’t made from mud or clay, they aren’t bricks.  If made of stone or concrete, they are just blocks.

Dan

LEGO and others are legally bricks, and would insist on it...doesn't matter what normal terminology goes there.

With terrain work, it comes from the diorama/railroad/dollhouse side where it also doesn't matter what they're actually made of, but by the lunatics who want to model a to scale thing with what looks like the bricks you'd use on your house or path.