Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:40:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690719
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 839
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Barbarus' Brutal Barbarians  (Read 3436 times)

Offline Askellad

• Scientist
Re: Barbarus' Brutal Barbarians
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2022, 12:41:56 PM »
Love the Idea of using toys ! Great job

Offline Barbarus

• Librarian
    • A Fantastic Saga
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2022, 01:48:47 PM »
Thanks.
With a bit of effort toys can be a good basis for some cool conversions.

Here are some WIP shots of the boar rider:

Fanmade and completely free fantasy rules for SAGA:
www.a-fantastic-saga.com

11 factions!
Undead, Dwarves, Barbarians, Elves, Dark Elves, Orcs, Troglodytes, Archaeans, Goblins, Empire, Beastmen

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2022, 02:01:08 PM »
Superb work!   :-*

Offline tikitang

• Mad Scientist
  • A shadow out of time...
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2022, 02:11:16 PM »
Another Schleich beast!

I used to collect Schleich and Papo figures for years (and made some rather blunderous attempts to wargame with them in 90mm scale). Repurposing them as 28mm giant mounts is a much better idea.
https://a-descent-into-the-maelstrom.blogspot.com/

"The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything."

- Chuck Palahniuk

Offline Barbarus

• Librarian
    • A Fantastic Saga
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2022, 03:17:09 PM »
Agreed. They're pretty much perfect as monstrous mounts in 28mm scale.

I will continue with some WIP shots of one of my chariots:

Cheers, guys!

Online Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2022, 04:47:01 PM »
That looks intimidating as hell, which is saying something after seeing the other cavalry in that army! Great job patching that together! I’m curious which kits the various parts were sourced from.

Offline dwbullock

• Scientist
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2022, 06:28:07 PM »
See? That's something one can avoid with sticking to themes. I have friends who "fall" for a new game basically every week.
It's no wonder they never finish a project...

If you like gorey horror stuff, just do gorey horror stuff and then find a ruleset for them...

Don't let yourself be tempted by the manufacturers :D
All they want is your money ^^

I have a goblin pirate army.  Various manufacturers, some orcs, squids, octopi, etc.  They show up in Frostgrave, few other skirmish games.  End of the day, I love goblin pirates.  I'm going to collect and paint goblin pirates.  I will find a way to shoe horn them into any game system that I decide I like, because ... goblin pirates.

I love the barbarians, by the way.  Are the sabertooths (sabreteeth?) toys also, or from another model?

Offline Barbarus

• Librarian
    • A Fantastic Saga
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2022, 06:38:48 PM »
That looks intimidating as hell, which is saying something after seeing the other cavalry in that army! Great job patching that together! I’m curious which kits the various parts were sourced from.

You should see the other one!
It's even more intimidating. I'll post pics tomorrow.

The parts list is long... way too long. That champ with axe on the chariot is e Warhammer Underworlds, that Khorne team.
The other guy is made from Beastmen part, mounted marauders, parts from GW's Warcry... those skinny sado-maso dudes with masks. (sorry, can't remember the names of the new GW stuff... they're all too dumb and complicated.... )

I guess you recognize most parts for the chariot... mounted marauders horses, orc chariot side walls... bit of wood for the undercarriage... wheels from the Vampire Counts death cart... skulls from the GW skull box... shields from Beastmen and various Chaos sets

I have a goblin pirate army.  Various manufacturers, some orcs, squids, octopi, etc.  They show up in Frostgrave, few other skirmish games.  End of the day, I love goblin pirates.  I'm going to collect and paint goblin pirates.  I will find a way to shoe horn them into any game system that I decide I like, because ... goblin pirates.

I love the barbarians, by the way.  Are the sabertooths (sabreteeth?) toys also, or from another model?

Go goblin pirates!
That's the correct approach.

The sabretooths are from Mirliton's Barbarian range. They have sabretooth riders. I took those and some old metal GW marauders and converted them with bits from several kits.

Offline Barbarus

• Librarian
    • A Fantastic Saga
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2022, 01:27:01 PM »

Here it is, the other chariot.

Photos aren't the best, but I think you can see what's going on. It's massive. As are those horses (I think they're from the Celtos range)

Offline killshot

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2022, 11:13:24 PM »
Absolutely love this project!  Great conversions and painting, top notch all around

Offline Barbarus

• Librarian
    • A Fantastic Saga
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2022, 05:22:32 AM »
Absolutely love this project!  Great conversions and painting, top notch all around

Thank you! I'd like to return the compliment. I have come across your blog a few times and your stuff is great!

I'll continue with my second chaos spawn..."The Goat of Menders", short summary on its background:
during a dark, stormy night, green lightning flashing in the sky, a child was born to a peasant couple in the small village Menders, part of the empire.
The child was disfigured and had a goat's head. Shocked and disgusted the parents brought the newborn out into the woods and left it there to die.
But die it did not, instead it grew, feasting on the villagers' chicken first and cattle later.
And as soon as it was big enough it came for the villagers...
After enacting terrible revenge on its people it found its way into the "Valley of the Beasts" where Barbarus' tribe is located.

In case you were wondering: yes, that indeed is the lower body of an old Dragon Ogre. Though almost completely covered with fur.

Cheers, guys!

Online Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2022, 05:28:47 AM »
That is one of the creepier miniatures I’ve seen (but in a good way)! It totally fits with a chaos collection. Very cool conversion work and painting, too.

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2022, 08:50:47 AM »
That is truly the stuff of nightmares - well done! A great miniature with an excellent paint job. Will fit in nicely with any fairy tale/chaos themed setting.
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline peleset

• Librarian
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2022, 11:30:23 AM »
That is truly the stuff of nightmares - well done!

Very much agree! Painted with such excruciating detail that I wonder which end is the most dangerous.
Thief, Reaver, Slayer.

Offline Barbarus

• Librarian
    • A Fantastic Saga
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2022, 02:39:20 PM »
Very much agree! Painted with such excruciating detail that I wonder which end is the most dangerous.

lol

Not only did I paint it, first I had to sculpt it!

The inspiration was my cat. While I was working on this mini she walked by, all swagger, tail held high, presenting her butt to the world and I was like "Yeah, this creature has to be realistic, it needs a visible butthole!"