Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 01:21:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690921
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 657
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 1:600 ships for ACW and other wars from the second half of the 19th century  (Read 1039 times)

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
I dug up an old rule set which I had bought years back from the Wargames Emporium, on a visit to Sheffield, Hammerin' Iron II - https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/63557/hammerin-iron-2
I was attracted by the idea of riverine warfare in the ACW (although I also thought of transposing them to other locations too), and the variety of weird ships egged me on. The one manufacturer I know of is Peter Pig, who produce a considerable range: https://www.peterpig.co.uk/7%20ACW%20shipsl.html
Apart from these, can anyone point me towards other manufacturers (if they exist) - not just ACW, but anything from the second half of the 19th century up to WW I (I know, beyond the scope of this part of the forum!). Minairons have a nice range, but they're far earlier than this period.

I am also interested in identifying fortifications suitable for this - of only Brigade weren't 1:1200.

Unless I go 1:1200, of course...

Thanks in advance.

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
As well as Peter Pig I know of Thoroughbred Figures from the US. They used to be sold in the UK by Langton Miniatures but don't currently appear on their website,. Indeed, I'm unsure if Thoroughbred are still producing 1/600 or just 1/1200.  The Thoroughbred are lovely models but much more expensive.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
As well as Peter Pig I know of Thoroughbred Figures from the US. They used to be sold in the UK by Langton Miniatures but don't currently appear on their website,. Indeed, I'm unsure if Thoroughbred are still producing 1/600 or just 1/1200.  The Thoroughbred are lovely models but much more expensive.
Thanks - very useful! I was unaware of these. Their own site https://tbfigures.square.site/ only shows 1:1200, they are rather nice, not cheap, but seeing that Hammerin' Iron only needs very few ships - 4 per side - it's doable.
Langton Miniatures http://www.rodlangton.com/acw/1200list.htm also present 1:1200 ships (I cannot identify the manufacturer!) - more expensive, but they include vents and are superbly detailed for the size.
I am considering changing the scale if the search turns up no 1:600 alternatives.
Cheers,
John
« Last Edit: August 23, 2022, 04:05:46 PM by Vanvlak »

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
John, I have most of the PP vessels and some Throughbred. I will confess that if starting again I would go 1/1200.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
John, I have most of the PP vessels and some Throughbred. I will confess that if starting again I would go 1/1200.
And I am trying to resist a somewhat strong inclination to go that way too!
They are also smaller, so easier to store, which is an important consideration for me.
I have (in the meantime) managed to dig up from storage my old Peter Pigs, eight in total - the resin is growing a fine layer of mould, as they were stored in the damp!

Offline shandy

• Mad Scientist
    • The Raft. Wargaming Adventures
I've been doing a lot of ACW naval gaming lately, as I'm working on a set of rules...

The largest game so far was the Battle of Memphis, which devolved into a proper melee:

I mostly use 3D-printed models I bought on Wargaming3d (from East Coast Ironclads) and on Wargamevault (from David Manley aka Long Face Games). I printed them on my Anycubic Photon.

I also have some Peter Pig models as well as a couple of Bay Area Yards. Bay Area Yards no longer sell their 1/600 models, but if you ask nicely, they may have some left :)

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
I've been doing a lot of ACW naval gaming lately, as I'm working on a set of rules...

Sounds interesting, hope to see more of this.
Thanks for the indications - I do not have a 3D printer accessible yet, but maybe in the near future I will - and I will look into the Bay Area Yards models and take your advice.

Nice looking set up - the river bank in the background looks perfect, and he water surface is very effective - the reflectivity is perfect. What is it?
Thanks very much.  :D

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
Vanvlak. By the way if you are getting back into ACW naval Peter Pig have some free, downloadable scenarios on their website. Most involve only 2-4 ships per side. I haven't played this for years and will dust it off and give the scenarios a go.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
Thanks for the heads-up -I missed those!
Cheers,
John

Offline shandy

• Mad Scientist
    • The Raft. Wargaming Adventures
Hi, thank you for the kind words. The river is a brown cloth (very cheap lining material from the local fabric store) plus a thin transparent plastic table cloth I bought at a garden store (usually used to protect nice table clothes).

Nice looking set up - the river bank in the background looks perfect, and he water surface is very effective - the reflectivity is perfect. What is it?
Thanks very much.  :D

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
That simple? It looks very much like a muddy stretch of river.  :o
Thanks! 8)