Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:15:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686597
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 607
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Great Escape - The Camp  (Read 2604 times)

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
The Great Escape - The Camp
« on: August 22, 2022, 07:39:09 PM »
The Great Escape

There’s great rejoicing in the frozen North because we’re having a visit from the King in the South. Well he’s not really a King himself but I’m sure there’s a Regal ancestor somewhere in the dim and distant past of the reprobate, who is known round these part as The Mad Lord Snapcase.
The celebrations will last for days, virgins will be sacrificed, goats and bullocks roasted by the score, ale and wine consumed in great quantities and we might even get around to playing a few games.
Unfortunately the other member of the Triumvirate Doug ex EM4 can’t leave his ancestral home, something to do with a pack of hounds and the fact that he gets a nose bleed when travelling North. I personally believe it’s down to the fact that the battery on his motorised scooter needs charging too many times to make it up the Great North Road. Anyway it’s his birthday today so celebrations are in order.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY - DOUG

One of the games we have on the play list is to use the new 02 Hundred Rules that the Mad Lord has invested in, and so he sent me instructions on the sort of terrain that would be suitable and I’ve just finished building it, so I thought I should show off. Show it off I mean!

If you read my story about the rescue of the Mad Lord Snapcase and Doug not EM4 you might be familiar with some of these faces, of course it was a few months ago and a lot of wine has gone under the bridge since then so you could refresh your memory with this link https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=136295.0 Yes - I know it’s pretty unlikely, but you might not be aware of the invasion of East Anglia following the British retreat at Dunkirk and this might make more sense if you are aware of it. Perhaps!!

They appear to be lined up in front of a wooden hut!

They appear to be lined up in front of some German Officers as well, what the heck is going on?

Meinhard Wenke of the Gestapo and Kamilla Altman of the SS haven’t been in East Anglia long but they’ve taken a distinct dislike to the residents of Greater Snoring and are keen to show it.

Following the fracas in Greater Snoring the German Army were quick to respond, rounding up anyone who might have been involved in the rescue of Snappers and Dougers and they’ve shipped them off to an old British Army camp near Thetford.

These camps have every modern convenience.

The ones for the inmates have no doors; there’ll be no tunnelling out through the privy in this camp.

The ones for the guards have doors and paper, well newspaper at least, but it does provide reading matter as you wait for natures call.

More internees are arriving through the main gate. Well it’s the only gate and has a strong guard to stop any escapees.

Gerda is the strong guard and she looks pretty ferocious. Somewhere there’s a dog, a big dog, a Doberman dog but I think Gerda is still more frightening.

The camp is filling up quickly as three more truck loads of dodgy characters are delivered using the locally requisitioned trucks.

There would have been more trucks available but something to do with a sugar shortage at the local shop and sticky fuel will stop most diesel engines I believe.

You can see why Wenke of the Gestapo and Altman of the SS dislike the locals so much.

Some work has been carried out clearing the local forest on the south and west side but it still reaches the wall at the back of the compound.
I wonder if they try and dig the tunnels, Tom, Dick and Harry will encounter many tree roots and will this slow them down.
Somehow I can’t see Mrs Peacock and Professor Plumbovski digging very far.

Just outside the perimeter fence to the south east there is a rough wooden cross at the head of a small mound of earth. Your guess is as good as mine!

On the inside of the wire is a vegetable patch, I recognise Cabbage but not the other stuff, any ideas?

It looks like the Italians have been seconded to guard duties as Vito patrols the fence line. You don’t know who Vito is? I told you to read the previous story.

Ok that’s the scenery for the Mad Lords game. He’s been painting Commandos, SAS, SBS by the score, as well as German guards by the ones (I think he’ll be the British and I’ll be the Germans) and so there is a faint possibility that he’ll post about it here but as I’ve still got this set up on my table.

And these characters seem to be in the vicinity I might just play a game before I move on to the next element of the extravaganza.

What do you mean, who are they?

Snappers disguised as Sir Henry, Spankers disguised as Isla von Strum. Patsie Jones disguised as Mad Patsie and she seems to have taken a shine to Dougers, disguised as George, or Sir George as he’d like to be known. Bunty Hampster-Crust disguised as Hazel Arnesen and Vaggers disguised as William Morris that well known art and craft man.

I told you to read the previous story.

The buildings are all from EBob Miniatures, they’re printed card, glued to foamboard and are free. Free is good where I come from, although free usually means it’s been stolen.

OK so the question probably is:- how do you break into the camp, get all the inmates out and escape without loosing any one of your team? All thoughts on a postcard please.

Pip Pip as the Mad Lord would say
« Last Edit: August 31, 2022, 05:51:51 PM by Vagabond »

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
Re: The Great Escape - AAR Maybe
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2022, 07:49:15 PM »
Looks great! I can't wait to see the shenanigans that you two get up to. Shame about Doug.
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2022, 10:00:56 PM »
Thanks for the birthday wishes - I’ll gloss over your cheeky bits. I know you’ve always wanted your cheeky bits glossed over.

It’s a great looking camp - I love it. I’m highly dischuffed not to be able to join the frolicking but my ASBO specifically excludes travelling to Derbyshire after that incident with the Lollipop Lady last time I was there.

The other things in the vegetable garden are obviously rhubarbs (should that just be rhubarb?).

Let gaming commence…..!

Doug

Online syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2022, 01:26:38 AM »
But I thought I read the best part of having a ASBO was violating it frequently...

Anyway looking forward to another AAR on how events unfold in the camp.
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2022, 07:08:06 AM »
As announced by my esteemed colleague, Vaggers, I am indeed indulging in a sojourn in the Grim North.

“The celebrations will last for days, virgins will be sacrificed, goats and bullocks roasted by the score, ale and wine consumed in great quantities.”

I am of course also expecting the local delicacies of the Vagabond demesne, such as Fidgety Pie and Bakewell Pudding! Veni, vidi, bibi!

It is of course a great shame that Sir Douglas D’Emfore (head of ‘G’ Section, SOE) will not be present in person. However, the boys at ‘Q’ Branch have knocked up an ingenious device they are calling the Y. Pad (after it’s inventor, Yanto Paderewski). This will enable ‘Dapper’ Doug to keep in touch with proceedings remotely.

I have to say that the camp looks absolutely superb, old boy! Really looking forward to playing on this. The sentry huts are on my painting table, as we speak.

Some other characters who may or may not have a part to play in proceedings (but have been painted) are Johnny Vagabond SBS, Jolyon Pugwash SBS, The Honourable Redvers ‘Badger’ Hamster-Crust SBS, Captain Lord Hereward Carew ‘Tubby’ Snapcase SAS and SS-Gruppenführer Zwickel von Kinnriemen.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2022, 07:09:44 AM by Mad Lord Snapcase »

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2022, 08:58:36 AM »
That is a fantastic use of those miniatures do like the way the Stalag paper buildings have come out all the more convincing with that cracking fence.

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2022, 05:22:22 PM »
Well, well, well.   Speaking of which, where pray tell does the camp get its water?  Don't see a well....and as anyone knows a well could make for a handy tunnel spot....

In any event, of which I'm sure there will be many, I look forward to the inevitable riveting accounts of stalwart bravery, quick-witted decisiveness, and exemplary leadership. 

Mind you, I look forward to your guys' stuff too..... :D
« Last Edit: August 23, 2022, 08:36:52 PM by CapnJim »
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2022, 01:43:21 AM »
Great start on the hilarity! I look forward to the madness and possible chain reactions that will ensue when such frenzied (and likely unstable) minds are in close proximity to one another.  lol

Mike Demana
(whose own electric contraption was powerful enough and had sufficient range to visit the northern stronghold of Capn Jim a fortnight hence...)

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2022, 06:16:57 PM »
Here we gooooo agaiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnn!  lol

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2022, 04:44:28 AM »
This looks great.

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2022, 07:40:05 PM »

The other things in the vegetable garden are obviously rhubarbs (should that just be rhubarb?).

Doug I think rhubarb has big leaves on the top of the stalks, we planted some earlier this year and it died immediatly, there goes my favourite pud, apple and rhubarb crumble, :(

Shame about Doug.

:) I didn't realise you knew about Doug, his family has kept it secret for years.  :D

I am of course also expecting the local delicacies of the Vagabond demesne, such as Fidgety Pie and Bakewell Pudding! Veni, vidi, bibi!

It is of course a great shame that Sir Douglas D’Emfore (head of ‘G’ Section, SOE) will not be present in person.

Food food food  :D We have the local delacacy of Bakewell Tart availiable, I've booked her for the nights you are staying, after the electricity went down during your last visit I thought it necessary to provide some home comforts during the cold summer nights.

In any event, of which I'm sure there will be many, I look forward to the inevitable riveting accounts of stalwart bravery, quick-witted decisiveness, and exemplary leadership. 
Mind you, I look forward to your guys' stuff too..... :D

lol lol lol this is totally uncalled for from a man who can't link pictures with text.  ;)

Great start on the hilarity! I look forward to the madness and possible chain reactions that will ensue when such frenzied (and likely unstable) minds are in close proximity to one another.  lol

Mike Demana
(whose own electric contraption was powerful enough and had sufficient range to visit the northern stronghold of Capn Jim a fortnight hence...)

Unstable minds - whoes been talking???  I hope youve recovered from your trip North - did your nose bleed like Dougs?

Elk, Fram, Golgoth, Syrinx and Lon thanks for your aimiable coments. :) :) :) If only everyone was as polite.

I have a final picture of the table but no time to post it tonight, I forgot the well  :'( :'( :'( bugger :D

Cheers

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2022, 03:05:27 PM »
I've finally finished the layout for our game.

The sea is on the left where the main landing will be, but note the river behind the camp. The Mad Lord has painted 3 canoes and 6 paddlers so it would be a shame to leave them out of the game.

The gate has been reinforced with a killing zone for Gerda to enjoy. She will also have a sentry box and barrier to lift up and down, again curtesy of the Mad Lord.

Herr Wenke of the Gestapo has some furniture in his quarters. Unfortunately that's all I have that's suitable no desk and chairs, but Miss Scarlet is inspecting the surroundings intently. She is the Scrounger for the Escape Committee.

Sadly the rest of the camp is unfurnished, I've sent a requisition to the Salvation Army and the Red Cross but no reply so far. Before anyone comments, the painter and decorator who did the renovation work blacked out the windows on the inside of the buildings by the simple expedient of painting over them with Institutional Green paint.  ;)

The Escape Committee are taxing their brains but can't decide where to start the first tunnel. Should Cptn Jim look in again, I've included a well well well, just for him. ;)

Cheers
« Last Edit: August 28, 2022, 03:10:25 PM by Vagabond »

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2022, 03:13:43 PM »
The camp is looking superb, my old mucker! I will definitely bring my Cockleshell Heroes to recce the river.

I may be able to bring some furniture for Herr Wenke along with the sentry boxes, if required?

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2022, 03:28:14 PM »
All furniture gratefully received, if you have 24 bunk beds that would be teriffic.  :D

I forgot to post the background to your raid so here is is.

Rescue Madame DeGaule - General DeGaule has escaped to Britain as France fell but left his wife behind. Typical. He wants her back, beds are cold and electric blankets hadn’t been invented yet. Of course it’s the British military that have to go and fetch her. The Commandos have to land clandestinely, make their way through enemy occupied France break in to the Internment Camp, find Madame DeGaule and get her safely back to the UK.

Background

General de Gaulle has flown from Bordeaux, France in an RAF plane and arrived in England, Churchill has immediately authorised the rescue of Mme de Gaulle and their 3 children. Major Norman Hope head of Belgian Section of Section D SIS was sent to Plymouth to effect the rescue.
Mme de Gaulle was assumed to be in Carentec on the Rade de Morlaix and a Supermarine Walrus amphibian L2312 piloted by Ft Lt J N Bell with Ft Sgt C.W.Harris as Wireless Electrical Mechanic flew with Hope on the 18th June, they did not return. Months later it was discovered that the plane had crashed in fog miles from its destination.
When the Walrus didn’t return, Hope's deputy, a Belgian RNVR officer Van Riel sailed from Plymouth on the 19th in MTB 29 a 70’ Vosper built boat and arrived off Carentec at 06.00 on the 20th. They discovered that elements of the German 4th Army under General von Kluge had arrived 24 hours earlier and that Mme de Gaulle and children had left before their arrival.
She is hanging in the wind is I believe the popular expression.

The Game
Unknown to history is the fact that a second rescue attempt was made by sea, Commander Jolyon Pugwash sailed in Motor Gun Boat 69 on the same night as MTB29 but to a slightly different destination. His Navigator was 1st Lt Montmorency Toastrack a playboy of the old school, Eaton I believe. He knew the small harbours of Northern Brittany as well as any Englishman alive and would prove invaluable in making their way past the Ile de Brehat to a small Internment Camp on the River de Trieux.
It was believed that von Kluge had given orders to round up various members of the French Government and hold them in this camp and if Mme de Gaulle had been captured this is where she would have been taken. The camp had been built by the French before the war and although finding 1 woman and 3 children in the chaos that was Northern France in June was like looking for a needle in a haystack this was as good a place to try as any.

Commander Jolyon Pugwash had been put in command of a requisitioned French pleasure motor vessel the Cochon Noir. The French owner had escaped from Lezardreiux a week earlier in this small launch which was his pride and joy and he wasn’t pleased when twin mounted Vickers machine guns were installed on his Bridge Deck and a wooden Dory lashed to the cabin roof. It was in this boat that the 2nd rescue mission was attempted.

We await further news of Commander Jolyon Pugwash.

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2022, 07:48:23 PM »
The camp looks great (even with the blacked out windows)! Looking forward to daring do.