Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:21:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690862
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Orcs of the Cracked Rock - More Vendel Orcs  (Read 26732 times)

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: Orcs of the Cracked Rock - Bits and Bobs
« Reply #120 on: November 15, 2023, 08:30:04 PM »
Terrific work on all of these - I agree with Pattus Magnus that orc and warg look suitably aligned in interest, which is just as it should be if you follow The Hobbit; I've always loved the way that the warg/orc relationship is an alliance rather than a beast/master relationship, with orcs only being allowed to ride on warg-back.

The old C15s scrub up very nicely here!

Offline Old Hob

• Scientist
    • The Evil Lead
« Reply #121 on: November 16, 2023, 02:00:20 PM »
Thanks for the kind comments, folks. I remember reading a comment on LAF a while back describing wolfriders as a wolf who's gone to war and brought a packed lunch with them! No wonder the goblin is trying to pull his weight.

Right oh, off to imbibe some more puma-juice and see if I can't get another unit finished this year. More soon, hopefully.

Cheers

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #122 on: November 16, 2023, 10:06:12 PM »
Be careful while obtaining the puma juice, they typically don’t like being squeezed! (Which may account for its rarity…).

For what it’s worth, I am looking forward to whatever comes out if your painting queue next, the updates are good for inspiration!

Offline Old Hob

• Scientist
    • The Evil Lead
Re: Orcs of the Cracked Rock - More Vendel Orcs
« Reply #123 on: November 30, 2023, 01:58:29 PM »
More Vendel orcs. This time they are all of the large variety, except for the huge 'man-high' uruk in the mail coif who is from the command pack.

Offline Luigi

• Scientist
« Reply #124 on: November 30, 2023, 02:22:32 PM »
Lovely work and great colour scheme; rather fitting for an army of orcs.

Although I do have to say, those shields took me back decades to many afternoon spent playing Duke Nukem 3D with my dad; they remind me of the end level button you had to press to complete each stage.

Offline Old Hob

• Scientist
    • The Evil Lead
« Reply #125 on: November 30, 2023, 02:49:33 PM »
Although I do have to say, those shields took me back decades to many afternoon spent playing Duke Nukem 3D with my dad; they remind me of the end level button you had to press to complete each stage.

"Do you know how the Orcs first came into being? Atomic radiation."

Offline LouieN

• Mastermind
  • "Aure entuluva!"
« Reply #126 on: November 30, 2023, 02:49:39 PM »
They look great

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #127 on: November 30, 2023, 05:11:27 PM »
These are terrific! It's going to be a splendid-looking horde (I'm sure it is already - how about some group shots?).

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #128 on: November 30, 2023, 05:37:45 PM »
Great job on those Vendel figures! I like the subtle variations in details on the equipment they carry, and your painting brings that out. I’ll echo Hobgoblin, a group shot would be cool to see. It doesn’t have to be anything fancy with a backdrop, on a kitchen table or work bench is fine to show progress. That said, if it’s a nuisance pulling the lads out of storage to assemble the host for a pic, I would also be content with enjoying update photos of single figs or small groups as you finish them!

Offline Old Hob

• Scientist
    • The Evil Lead
Re: Orcs of the Cracked Rock - Vendel Orcs
« Reply #129 on: November 30, 2023, 09:18:20 PM »
Thanks, as always, for the kind words, folks.

They're developing into an awesome hoard, Is it time for a group shot yet?

And yes, can't wait for a group shot.

These are terrific! It's going to be a splendid-looking horde (I'm sure it is already - how about some group shots?).

I’ll echo Hobgoblin, a group shot would be cool to see.

But I haven't finished yet...  :'(

To be fair, there's couple of future releases I've got my eye on (Ragnarok Miniatures' new uruks and the Hobday & Hicks' orcs), I have a pile of Vendel orcs still to paint and I haven't even started on the Oathmark orcs yet, so there's a good chance I'll never finish!

What I'll do is polish off the other half of this current unit in the next couple of weeks and then I'll muster all the Cracked Rock tribe to-date for some end-of-year glamour shots. Promise.

Offline nickdives

• Librarian
« Reply #130 on: November 30, 2023, 09:56:57 PM »
A unit of 32, some from ebay, the rest from Will across the pond. I liked your black and red scheme!

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #131 on: November 30, 2023, 10:01:48 PM »
Unpainted units!?! That’s no excuse! If everyone on LAF waited until they were completely done their armies before they posted group pics, there would be very few group pics on LAF.

Kidding, of course about the ‘ no excuse’ part. But seriously, though, nearly everyone is in the same boat, have lots of unpainted units to work on. I now look at my armies as being in various degrees of ‘maturity’ - a mature army is one with enough completed units to use in a game, but it’s never really done.

Btw, what are Hobday & Hicks orcs? Never heard of them, but anything that fits in a Tolkien-inspired horde is very interesting.

Offline Old Hob

• Scientist
    • The Evil Lead
« Reply #132 on: November 30, 2023, 10:51:32 PM »
A unit of 32, some from ebay, the rest from Will across the pond. I liked your black and red scheme!

To be fair, Nick, I was thinking I did have a horde before I saw your mob on LAF. Now I'm thinking I've got a couple of companies at best. ;) These are great. I absolutely love the tightly packed multi-basing. It's so evocative of a proper shieldwall. A black and red paint scheme definitely suits Vendel orcs, but then I feel I may have lifted it from Thistle & Rose in the first place.  lol

Pattus - Andy Hobday is the guy behind 'The Barons' War' ruleset and Paul Hicks is a sculptor for, amongst others, Footsore Miniatures, and they are planning to release a fantasy range in collaboration with Footsore next year. I like the look of the orcs I've seen so far (but not the weird hyena-wolves. Why?) and I can see them finding a home in the Tribe.

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #133 on: November 30, 2023, 11:47:27 PM »
Oh my! Those Hobday and Hicks orcs look really good. I’ll have to start setting aside a bit for a purchase when they’re released.

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
« Reply #134 on: December 02, 2023, 04:06:00 AM »
Wow the orcs in this thread are stellar! What beauties  :-*