Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:41:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: middle eastern buildings  (Read 6215 times)

Offline odd duck

• Scientist
middle eastern buildings
« on: October 14, 2009, 04:32:41 AM »
Last month I finally got around to making some mid-east buildings using those dollar store craft boxes I'm always on about.I did minimal research a couple of google image searches and took some ideas from what other people were doing,outside stairs crumbling edges exposed brick/stonework ect.Here are some of the results before the aplication of pollyfilla

I'll try to take some more photos tomorrow of them with the pollyfilla but due to the build something contest it's going to be a while before i get the sanded and painted

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
Re: middle eastern buildings
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 08:08:01 AM »
WOW! vary nice! I keep on wanting to do that myself, but keep on finding other stuff to distract me. I can tell there going to look kick ass when they are compleated
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline UncleRhino

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 12:16:53 AM »
Those look great, I keep wanting a desert setup for myself, and that might just be the way to go about it.  I keep telling myself I will just sell some things and put in for an order from Crescent Root, but I keep not listening..

One thing you might consider, if you base your models on steel washers is using magnetic stripping for the stair treads, that way it is much easier to place models on the stairs.  The way you have them looks to scale and grand, but it irritates me to no end as soon as I build something as such, and everyone wants to have models halfway up here and there.

Ryan

Offline odd duck

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 02:16:15 AM »
I plan to make some stands to allow figures stand on stairs. Swordfighting on stairs is a pulp and B-movie standard so you do have to prepare for it but as models do spend most of there time in display cases or shelves I think the realistic look is the way to go . saves time explaining things to non gamer guests

Offline odd duck

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 04:08:19 AM »
OK got some shots of them with the pollyfilla on, i squirted some ceramcoat golden brown into the mix for a better base colour

I'm particularly  happy with the ruined building model as it provides a use for the extra box lids you get when you do multi story buildings

as you can see i have some sanding and painting to do ,but this project onlytook two afternoons of carving and glueing and one of plastering so far, and only cost $9cdn for the craft boxes plus the pollyfilla and some scrap foamcore and balsa. I hope to do a Bazaar ,mosque and a small fort/palace in the near future to round out and finish the project right now i have san-pans to carve

Offline Supercollider

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 04:15:45 AM »
Looking great!  :-*

Inspiring...very inspiring.

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 04:30:54 AM »
Looking good now - well done.

Good job with the filler - it can be tricky stuff.

Do you water it down and paint it on?
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline odd duck

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 04:49:10 AM »
It comes as a powder you just keep adding water until you get the right mix.thick enough to work with but not too runny ,i used a plaster knife(?) a tongue depresser and some stir sticks for the stairs and window openings. It can get messy i suggest doing it outside in old work clothes and plenty of rags or paper towels.better to add too much and sand down than not enough the first time. read some of malamutes posts on his adobe buildings that's where i got most of my info from

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009, 10:27:39 AM »
Lovely work :-* :-*
And the speed :o :o :o
Looks like you are going to have a great town.
I imagine it will be pretty sturdy as well being made out of wood.

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2009, 10:32:46 AM »
 :-*

Those are going to look great when you are finished!

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2009, 08:57:08 AM »
simple and effective!!! waiting for the finished version.... :):):)