Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:08:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: A couple of questions for the Aztec experts on LAF  (Read 671 times)

Offline Silent bob

• Scientist
A couple of questions for the Aztec experts on LAF
« on: August 31, 2022, 02:40:32 PM »
I am collecting a small Aztec force using Gringo 40 figures - they match, size wise, to my Foundry Copplestone sculpted Conquistador s.

A quick couple of questions for the Aztec experts

Would the Eagle/Jaguar Knights or Shorne Ones deployed in their own separate units or as part of other units, to strengthen them?

I have read that the Eagle Knights and Jaguar ones were part of the same military order, who just wore different costumes.

Currently Gringo only does two Eagle Knights and I am wondering if - with weapon swaps and arm bending, if I can make a unit of 16 up, which has some variation

Thanks a lot

Offline OB

• Mastermind
Re: A couple of questions for the Aztec experts on LAF
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2022, 07:59:29 PM »
Units were raised from their locality, all fighters in the same unit.  The proportion of knights and cuachics would vary from area to area.  A wealthier barrio more guys in flashy suits and feathers.

A third to a half might do the trick.  I seem to recall that there were Temple units too.

Hope that helps.

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2022, 08:14:50 PM »
Bob, I certainly don't see myself as an "Aztec expert" but do have several books on the subject including the two John Pohl Ospreys .  Unfortunately he seems to give different answers to your question. In one volume he says that that different uniforms didn't differentiate units but the level of military skill of the wearer, with units being based on neighbourhood or "Calpulli".  This view is backed up by one of the colour plates showing an Aztec battleline with a  variety of troop types including Jaguar knights. However in another book he mentions "elite units such as the Eagles and Jaguars". Whether these are distinct fighting units I don't know.

Offline RichBliss

• Librarian
  • With Lipbalm-Puce in the Congo
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2022, 02:16:45 AM »
All research and reasonable extrapolation I’ve read says that all warriors of neighbor hood would fight together with the less experienced/skilled men supported the knights who wore the feathered suits and had the greater skill. Priests were organized similarly but their knights had different distinctions.

Offline Silent bob

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2022, 08:37:22 AM »
Thank you for the answers

SB

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2022, 07:09:45 PM »
And a field commander could tell by sight how experienced a unit was (the more experienced the higher the proportion of its men who were suit wearers).  Below is a well-known series from the Aztec "Mendoza Codex" showing the succeeding decorative suits and other embellishments to which a man was entitled based on the number of captives he had taken in war (men taking 4 or more captives in war were eligible for induction into the Jaguar or Eagle knight societies, ranking them equal to nobles, and were then professional soldiers whose sons inherited noble status).

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/57/Codex_Mendoza_folio_64r.jpg

https://weaponsandwarfare.files.wordpress.com/2020/05/12-facts-aztec-warrior_4-min.jpg

Cuextecatl
Two captive warriors, recognizable by their red and black tlahuiztli and conical hats.

Papalotl
Papalotl (lit. butterfly) were warriors who had taken three captives; this rank wore "butterfly" like banners on their backs.