Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 12:45:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689523
  • Total Topics: 118283
  • Online Today: 646
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: WOTR - Northern Shenanigans - preparing for Yorkists.  (Read 21462 times)

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
WOTR - Northern Shenanigans - preparing for Yorkists.
« on: September 03, 2022, 11:28:34 PM »
So, as usual, I’m a little late to the party.  Everyone probably did something when Billhooks came out.   Never mind, this is a period of our history, that both fascinates and horrifies me in equal measure.

I find myself back up in Yorkshire for a few days in my wife’s home village with a little time on my hands.     I recently dug my copy of Kingmaker out of the garage, a firm favourite when I was at school, and out of interest, I picked up a box of Perry archers and billmen

I figure I will paint these up.   If I enjoy it, I will most likely go on to build two small forces to play with.

I have already assembled them, so will get straight into the painting.  Going to start with one of my favourite nobles from Kingmaker, Percy, Earl of Northumberland.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2023, 06:19:33 PM by Digits »

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
Re: WOTR and other family feuds
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2022, 04:20:00 AM »
Cool, looking forward to seeing them.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2022, 03:20:41 PM »
Good luck with this David. I know you were saying units
of 12 or 6, but how you planning to base them?

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2022, 03:51:25 PM »
Most units of six are typically skirmishes I believe and left loose.   I’m basing infantry on 20mm squares then using war bases trays.

Junior leaders typically on 30mm rounds, but will probably mount my overall leader on a 40mm round along with banner carrying page.

Horses will go on 20 x 45 bases, knights needing to go on a war base.   Horse are in units of eight I think.  But as this is a small undertaking, I doubt I will have more than a few light cavalry.   An artillery piece would be nice though.

Anyway, going to paint theses billmen and their faction leader first me thinks.

Livery below for Percy troops though I profess I’m confused as I’ve read elsewhere the black is on the left as you look at the man……not sure I fully understand colour siding convention….

« Last Edit: September 04, 2022, 04:34:28 PM by Digits »

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2022, 09:03:36 PM »
The figure bottom right has the black on the left as you look at it.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2022, 10:08:06 PM »
Going to start with one of my favourite nobles from Kingmaker, Percy, Earl of Northumberland.

What's not to love? Really cool coat of arms, big castle jammed up north and a massive 100 troops to go with the title!
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2022, 01:49:17 AM »
Especially if you can get him Warden of the Northern Marches!

Pete, I can see that mate…but it’s the one second row, second in I’m doing.  Maybe I wasn’t clear?

What I mean is, when they state such and such has green and blue, do they mean green on the left or right?

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2022, 08:05:12 AM »
What I mean is, when they state such and such has green and blue, do they mean green on the left or right?

Good question, I'll leave the correct answer to the experts.
My views are:-
Does it matter?
Do what you fancy.
I've seen nice units  that would have some with Green on the left (as you look at it)
& some on the right (as you look at it) Think about it, if you dye half the available
coats Green & half Blue, then cut them in half & sew different colours together that
is what you will get. They are all wearing the Lord's colours. AS Eric Morcambe might
have put it, 'We're wearing the right colours...not necessarily in the correct order I'll
grant you'
Watching a crowd of football fans going to a match, I feel fairly confident of telling
the Man. Utd. fans from the Chelsea ones. That would help ME understand the
occasional mis-identification of allies/enemies in WotR. 'You helped them over our
barricades?????' 'Honest Sarge I thought they wuz Man. Utd. I didn't realize dey wuz
Liverpool.' (To those who don't follow Football, they both wear Red)
 :D 

Offline Ragnar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2022, 09:43:37 AM »

This resource may answer questions.

https://blog.vexillia.me.uk/p/flags-during-wars-of-roses.html
Gods, monsters and men,
Will die together in the end.

Offline AdmiralAndy

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2022, 10:15:55 AM »
Folks, may also be interested to know there's a new Kingmaker edition being launched on kickstarter on the 9th, I think it maybe include a Solo play option,.

So if folks want a new shiny version, I'll see the price point first meself, got my hands on a second edition AH when WI and the free Billhooks came out which I think opened up WOTR to a much wider audience :)

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2022, 11:37:44 AM »
This resource may answer questions.

https://blog.vexillia.me.uk/p/flags-during-wars-of-roses.html

Very useful thank you. So I’m happy now having seen Percy’s standard that the Red is top, meaning it’s worn as the man’s right hand colour as per the livery shown above.  Great.  Makes more sense now.

Andy…do you have a link to the kickstarter please?

Offline AdmiralAndy

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2022, 12:36:48 PM »

Andy…do you have a link to the kickstarter please?
[/quote]

Apparently it'll be a Kickstarter only so I guess spread the word.
https://gibsonsgames.co.uk/collections/all/products/kingmaker-royal-relaunch

Only a prelaunchpage at the moment but you can sign up for a notification.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kingmaker-rerelease/the-royal-rerelease-of-kingmaker

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2022, 09:38:55 AM »
Ok, weather hasn’t been great for painting, but I have managed to paint my first unit…some of Percy’s Billmen.   I didn’t have enough in livery top for what I wanted as I’d diverted a lot onto the archers.  However, I will be placing a small order with Front Rank for a few liveried billmen, which will swat out with a few of these, plus a more appropriate standard bearer.  Grass tufts etc when I get home no doubt.

However, easy enough to paint I think, and looking forward to doing a unit of archers now.

To put me in the mood, we are off to Middleham Castle today, a childhood home of Richard III and a chance to drop in at the Wensleydale cheese factory en route!

Offline Wilgut Spleens

• Scientist
    • The Miniature World of Wilgut Spleens
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2022, 10:43:33 AM »
they are looking great.Tomorrow is the Billhooks BASH at Boards and Swords Hobbies in Derby. Andy Callan, the author of Billhooks, and most the original Billhooks players will be there and ALL of them will have one company painted in a livery to match their favourite football team!

Last year I played a gainst Andy Callan who field a init of light cavalry most of whom were LotR Rohirrim painted with red tunics! They don't take it at all seriously is my point , paint them as you wish
I have a bad case of prescient nostalgia. The future's not what it used to be.

https://wilgut.blogspot.com/

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: WOTR dipping my toe…
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2022, 06:44:20 PM »
Hmmm….I think I at least ought to try and do it properly for now 😉

Well, photobucket is playing up with an update, and will sort pics later, but for now at least, I have painted a unit or Percy’s archers to go with the billmen.

Have to say, I’ve enjoyed these, so I’ve ordered a few more minis, including a few scurrers, a pair of field pieces and a few dozen infantry.  Mostly Perry but a few Frint Rank to see how they fit in.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2022, 11:55:14 AM by Digits »