Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:43:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: WOTR - Northern Shenanigans - preparing for Yorkists.  (Read 21305 times)

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
Re: WOTR (from Kingmaker to Billhooks)
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2022, 08:09:34 PM »
I have seen lots of people painting up the padded jackets with livery colours.  Is this historically accurate or simply painters licence?

That's a good question. Personally I think it is 'painters licence' as you put it, I don't think jacks were dyed in livery colours.
BUT I don't actually know, that's just my gut feeling! If anyone has any evidence that they were dyed then please share.
It's true you do see a lot of people painting them in livery colours - personally I prefer them to remain 'plain', and just have the actual jackets and coats in livery colours.
But that's just my personal preference!

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: WOTR - Percy’s lads
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2022, 06:20:04 AM »
It does seem counter intuitive to paint the jacks that way.  Saying that, I am painting a unit of archers right now and decided to try it on a pair of them to help in my decision making.

I suppose the alternative should I decide not to, is to add a few additional livery coats with a little gs.   I may have to have a go at that.

Cheers

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2022, 08:31:52 AM »
It does seem counter intuitive to paint the jacks that way.  Saying that, I am painting a unit of archers right now and decided to try it on a pair of them to help in my decision making.

I suppose the alternative should I decide not to, is to add a few additional livery coats with a little gs.   I may have to have a go at that.

Cheers

Yes, that sounds like a good idea!

Obe of the reasons I personally dont like coloured jacks Is that I don't like every available piece of the figure to be in livery colours, including legs and helmets. I prefer them to look like they are wearing their own civilian clothes, with any armour over that, and then the livery jackets as the top layer. This can still be colourful if that's the preferred look - legs and sleeves can be in other non-livery colours.

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2022, 09:31:53 AM »
Totally agree….but I have realised that with the mix available in a standard Bill/archer Perry box….on a more subdued unit (colour wise) like these fellas, especially with half the livery being black, that for the overall unit to look “unified” the ratio of livery coat wearing minis isn’t quite high enough.

I have been painting some Front tank selected livery coat wearing minis to mix in to the bill blocks….but I don’t want to have to buy so many archers as they are plentiful enough in the box generally.   

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not doing such a large army as to worry too much about this, but I’m the interest of looking “right” I want to try and do my best.

Edit:

So, in the interest of setting the scene up in the dales of Gods own Country and the bits above it….I am in need of some good looking dry stone walling…and sheep (1st corps for those)…any recommendations welcome 😉

« Last Edit: September 28, 2022, 07:29:51 PM by Digits »

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2022, 09:59:08 AM »
My Perry Order has arrived, so lots of opportunity to advance.

Particularly pleasing, they popped in a “Charles the Bold” mini.   The Burgundian is a little ornate but I think I will do a head swap, and shave off the heraldry from his back and breast, and it may give me a canvas for having a go at a little freehand heraldry.  Not really looking forward to that as my eyes ain’t what they used to be and I’ve never really been any good at freehand anyway! Lol

Firstly though, I’ve been working on half a unit of billmen courtesy of Front Rank.  I just need to assemble and paint a few plastic minis to mix in to finish the unit….

Offline Black Burt

• Scientist
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2022, 11:10:21 AM »
From my limited research Jacks would normally be one colour usually undyed fabric but could be occasionally dyed a single colour such as red, but not parti-coloured, Doublets could be normal clothing but could be in the livery colours, Tabards in retinue colours would be worn over normal clothing. Hose (breeches) would usually normal clothing. It would all depend on the class of troops and the wealth of the noble. I don't stick strictly to all that though to give my figures a rather more uniform appearance, your figures, paint them as you like though.

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2022, 02:24:41 PM »
Thanks for that.  I think in the main I will leave the jacks alone.  I have two archers with coloured jacks on my paint tray, but I doubt I will do any more.  Besides, I’m quite enjoying mixing in Front Rank and can pick liveried minis as I have done here with the billmen.

I finished another 12 billmen, mostly Front Rank so I’ve mixed them about a bit with the first block.

Offline brunei35

• Scientist
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2022, 02:46:45 PM »
Look excellent.

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2022, 08:19:17 PM »
Very nice. I might be tempted to mix a few more Front Rank into my Perrys too...

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2022, 08:58:27 PM »
Excellent work those have come out a treat.

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2022, 05:36:17 PM »
Thanks chaps!

So….I’m in danger of getting carried away, and I’ve three separate units on my workbench….I’ve Percy’s men at arms and his last unit of archers.

Also, getting way ahead of myself, I started on the first unit for Clifford.   I’ve read a little about his mounted troops, so a mixed unit of mounted bow and prickers.  I will have to pull these up to get Percy finished.

Ordered a few more standards from Pete’s flags.    For the Lancastrians, Butcher Clifford and Yorkists Kingmaker Neville and his uncle, the very able William Neville.

I also ordered a couple of sheets for flags from little big men studios to add a dash of colour.

Anyway, enough prattle…..on with the painting…..

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2022, 07:08:23 PM »
So….I’m in danger of getting carried away,

What you David??????  lol

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2022, 06:14:29 AM »
I resemble that remark sir!  >:(

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: WOTR - Percy and his Men at Arms
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2022, 10:13:07 AM »
Ok, weekend headway.  I’m not up to painting coats of arms yet so simple knight to represent Percy.   My simple take on various armoured finishes on the men at arms, representing polished armour, oiled armour, blackened and bronzed armours.   I wanted something quick and they work for me at least.

Likewise, once I pluck up the courage, I will replace the captain with something more colourful.

Just one unit of archers now then I can move on to another house.

Edit:  a question for those in the know please.   Where do I source the flag poles (pins) with the branch out of the side?  There are hanging banners with tabs that hang from the branches.   

« Last Edit: October 03, 2022, 10:27:56 AM by Digits »

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
Re: WOTR - Percy and his Men at Arms
« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2022, 03:16:31 PM »
Edit:  a question for those in the know please.   Where do I source the flag poles (pins) with the branch out of the side?  There are hanging banners with tabs that hang from the branches

1) Solder on the horizontal pole
2) Use the banner to support the horizontal pole. (h.p.)
    i.e. fold a 'tab' over the h.p. to hold it in position,
    then a spot of superglue gel to 'spot weld the join.