Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:07:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690603
  • Total Topics: 118339
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: New Russian Civil War Rules  (Read 2351 times)

Offline Trebian

• Bookworm
New Russian Civil War Rules
« on: September 04, 2022, 05:45:25 PM »
Thought I'd put up a quick plug for my latest set of rules "It Rolls for Ivan". These are for the RCW and are aimed at larger scale battles than are normally played, looking at brigade/divisional level. There's a description over on my blog: https://wargaming4grownups.blogspot.com/p/it-rolls-for-ivan.html.

The rules are available through Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0B925X38Q/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_bibl_vppi_i0 or Wargame Vault https://www.wargamevault.com/product/405850/It-Rolls-for-Ivan. £14.99 for paperback or pdf, £19.99 for hardback

Trebian

Offline Sparrow

• Mastermind
Re: New Russian Civil War Rules
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2022, 05:20:05 AM »
Must try them - cheers
Put your trust in God and keep your powder dry!

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2022, 12:34:40 PM »
These sound great - must give 'em a try.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2022, 12:51:28 PM »
Interesting choice of scale. I’ve always been of the impression that Soviet-Polish war aside,  most of the war centred around small scale actions, brigade and divisional level actions being the exception rather than the rule.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Mark Plant

• Mad Scientist
    • Pygmy Wars : Russian Civil War and Related Stuff
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2022, 09:05:15 PM »
Divisional level actions were standard for 1919 and 1920 across the war. They did have small divisions, and some of the White Brigades were the size of a Soviet division, but the intention was almost always that the manoeuvre element was the division or reinforced brigade.

Other than a few places with closed terrain, it would have been quite dangerous for a small unit to operate on its own near opposition with brigades of cavalry.

Smaller sizes were only the norm in 1917 and 1918, before the armies started to grow.

The Polish war in 1920 wasn't particularly different. They packed them in a bit around Warsaw and Ciechanow, but less tight than around Petrograd, Tsaritsyn or Kakhovka. The battle of the Nemen was the second biggest of that war, but extended over a massive front. (I would guess that the densest fighting was Perekop in late 1920 and Narva after the end of the Petrograd operation.)

Offline Trebian

• Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2022, 10:32:43 PM »
Interesting choice of scale. I’ve always been of the impression that Soviet-Polish war aside,  most of the war centred around small scale actions, brigade and divisional level actions being the exception rather than the rule.
I have often felt that the current fad for small skirmish games means everything is seen as small scale. Everyone wants to play with armies made up of all the different troop types, but in practice they wouldn't all be in action together at low level. The only answer to me therefore was to go for a game where you've got realistic manoeuvre units. After all, who doesn't want to launch a cavalry charge of 1500 sabres in three Regiments across the Steppe?

Offline Trebian

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2022, 10:34:56 PM »
Divisional level actions were standard for 1919 and 1920 across the war. They did have small divisions, and some of the White Brigades were the size of a Soviet division, but the intention was almost always that the manoeuvre element was the division or reinforced brigade.

I will admit to being loose with the language a bit. When talking of brigades & divisions I mean a British or Dominion Army brigade or division from the period. In practice a brigade is actually a Regiment in Russian terms for infantry.

But then you knew that. Just sayin' for everyone else on here.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2022, 05:01:04 PM »
I received a copy of these for Xmas (Amazon wish lists are great!) only had a quick flick through so far, but liking what I see!

Offline Alexander Kutepov

• Schoolboy
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2022, 04:11:35 PM »
Sounds interesting. Do they have a points-based system, prearranged forces i.e., OOB/TOE, or do you make it up as you go along. Are they card driven? I-GO-U-GO? Is it like Red Actions or Back of Beyond? Is Chrome accounted for? Inquiring minds want to know.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2022, 07:17:54 PM »
From what I have read so far:

I can’t see any points listed. There are a good number of OrBats for battalion to regimental sized units - but with a note that these are typical, and things varied a lot!

It is card driven, with I think runs of actions based on the suit of cards (with some limits, then swapping to the other player. Not all units are guaranteed to move when activated.

Chrome - yes I think so, the rules are focused on the RCW so have lots of period specific stuff, including a chapter on Armoured Trains. And lots of details about armoured cars.